Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 16, 2004, 01:34 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,856 Posts
Another Twin-Boom Foamy Pusher from Foamflyer

The latest is "So.20", hot-wire cut from EPS foam, finished in acrylic craft paint. Speed 400 on 8 NiCd cells. Wing span 35.9 inches, AUW 20.4 ounces. Throttle, elevator, and single aileron as is typical with this series of planes. First flight 16 Oct 2004, flies great!
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2004, 03:02 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,791 Posts
Another beaut

Foamflyer:

I've copied jpgs to my desktop of your other similar models. I enjoyed your web site as well. Am new back into RC and hve enjoyed being a lurker on the RC groups for th last several months. Would enjoy knowing any details about this design. Keep up the good work.

Dave
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Oct 16, 2004, 09:29 PM
Trapped in California
Joined Nov 2003
1,856 Posts
Wow foamdave, pictures of my planes are on your desktop? I feel honored! But really, there aren't too many more details than what I've already said. I suppose, however, that I could take some close-up pictures of the motor mount, which is an experimental design first used on this plane (and appears to work well so far). If there's enough interest I'll provide more information here, otherwise I'll get the info to you, foamdave. Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 09:40 PM
branson mo.
Joined Mar 2002
242 Posts
i ve really like your twin boom pusher style e planes also. any extra info
on your designs would be great. thanks much larry g
lgliser is offline Find More Posts by lgliser
Old Oct 17, 2004, 06:49 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,222 Posts
Single Aileron? craziness! Lol!
How's it fly w/ the single aileron?
Probably a dumb question, but whatever
Thanks,
Victor
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Oct 17, 2004, 07:30 PM
Tampa, Florida
Joined Nov 2003
378 Posts
If you have a plan for this pusher I would love to see it.
Marcuswhorley is offline Find More Posts by Marcuswhorley
Old Oct 17, 2004, 09:44 PM
Trapped in California
Joined Nov 2003
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Single Aileron? craziness! Lol!
How's it fly w/ the single aileron?
Probably a dumb question, but whatever
Thanks,
Victor
AceMigKiller,
The only dumb question is the one not asked. Although single ailerons are uncommon, they work quite well and they're better (in my opinion) than traditional dual-surface ailerons. The single aileron is designed to have more area than regular ailerons, and are usually adjusted to deflect farther. It's not really noticable in the air if there are one or two. One aileron can do away with extra and/or complicated control linkages that traditional dual-surface ailerons would have, which is important on a twin-boom design. Single ailerons reduce complexity, weight, and construction time.

Marcuswhorley,
Sorry there are no plans for this plane, nor will any be drawn up. I don't use plans, as they're really a waste of time in the construction process. It's a wasteful, time-consuming step I eliminated long ago. Besides, this is a very simple design that just doesn't warrant plans. I got a "wild" idea earlier to create a series of instructional videos (on CD) on exactly how to build planes like this, detailing material selection, foam cutting, assembly, finishing, and flying. Perhaps someday I'll get around to it....

You may ask if I'm going to go to all that trouble why don't I just offer a kit? Well, because when a "labor of love" becomes true labor, it isn't fun anymore. I'm not interested in making money in an enterprise like that. However, if I go through with the CD idea I may charge a dollar to cover the cost of the CD and postage to send it out!
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:05 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
I like your paint scheme.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:08 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Aug 2003
537 Posts
Foamflyers Site

Hi Jeff,
You have done an excellent job of setting up a personal site. I will pass the site info on to our local club as you have provided lots of good info.

I too would like to see a plan of your latest project & I presume best electric flyer. Even a 3 view with a few dims. would work for me.

Thanks,
Bob G
boberos is offline Find More Posts by boberos
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:25 AM
Palmdale, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
243 Posts
Foamflyer, where in the Mojave desert are you? Anywhere near Palmdale. I'd like to get togeather if you are near by. Love your plane and the single aileron idea. Never thought of that but can see how good it can be.
Crash & Burn is offline Find More Posts by Crash & Burn
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:47 AM
Joined Jul 2004
510 Posts
I would enjoy your cd! If you were to guess, say, 2 ailerons were 1" x 4" each, would you double that to make a single or 75% or? Thanks Jim. Ps thinking about using this on a p38 to save trouble!
jimkirley is offline Find More Posts by jimkirley
Old Oct 21, 2004, 09:55 AM
Trapped in California
Joined Nov 2003
1,856 Posts
Crash & Burn, I'm North of you. PM me and we'll work on something.
jimkirley, I almost always use the TLAR method. It depends on the wing area.
More info later....
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:54 AM
Trapped in California
Joined Nov 2003
1,856 Posts
Basic Dimensions

Here's some of the basic dimensions of So.20.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:55 PM
Merritt Island, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
55 Posts
Foamflyer -
What type of material are you using for your hotwire templates?
Variable is offline Find More Posts by Variable
Old Oct 26, 2004, 05:55 PM
Trapped in California
Joined Nov 2003
1,856 Posts
Variable- I use posterboard for hot wire templates. They're inexpensive, easy to cut, and they can be used repeatedly with care. I have quite a collection of airfoils and contours sorted into big envelopes.