HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2004, 08:00 PM
Australia, VIC, Inverleigh
Joined Mar 2004
565 Posts
Motor Advice for Pattern Plane

G'Day all!!

Many many moons ago I was given this pattern plane.
However.. I have no idea what motor used to run in it.
It has a Wingspan of: 175cm
and a length of: 150cm
It is a fibreglass fuselage and foam core wings.. but I have not weighed it.

I managed to acquire (for the right price ) an Irvine .61 RC-RE rear exhaust motor, still in it's box and unused. Would this be suitable??
Looking at the pics.. the motor was side mounted and appears to have had a tuned pipe.

Any help greatly appreciated.

best regards

Nich
Gwalch is offline Find More Posts by Gwalch
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2004, 08:36 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
356 Posts
Hello Nich, I'll take a stab at answering this one..

The Irvine is a strong engine, and I am guessing that if it's a rear exhaust type, it might have a lot of power. But it is probably the type of engine that you'd only put in if you were starting out and not doing any complicated manuevers.

I think that perhaps a .90 (15cc) might be a better choice. I have recently been looking at Pattern ships and I'm thinking about a CA Epsilon. It weighs in at about 7.5 pounds (not sure how many kg that is) and the engine range on that one is from .60-90.

In reality, I'm only telling you this to 'stir the pot'. I'm sure that everyone else out there will have an opinion different from mine, and will be certain to tell you so.

Just remember - not everyone is an expert.

Some people may suggest engines that are even larger than that, but if you are just starting out, you may not want to go larger than a .90 for now..

That's just my $.02. But hopefully I've stirred the pot for you to get some more comments on this subject. I'll be following it myself.

That is a beautiful airplane. Let me know if you ever find out what make/model it is.

Regards,

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:02 PM
Australia, VIC, Inverleigh
Joined Mar 2004
565 Posts
G'Day Bob!!
Thanks for the input.
I might weigh the model and do a search on LHS web pages and see what sort of motors are being run in planes that size.
I was thinking the .61 might have been a bit underpowered.. but I might just chuck it in the model and see how it goes until I get something a bit bigger.
Thanks again!

Nich
Gwalch is offline Find More Posts by Gwalch
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:00 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Funny how things change. For a lot of years, a 7.5 lb plane with a 69 inch wingspan would have been flown all over the world competitively with a 60 or 61 even before tuned pipes came out. Now that's underpowered. Still, whatever works.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Oct 20, 2004, 06:34 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
356 Posts
That's a good point, 50+. I was reading an old article on Ed Kazmirski's Taurus and that plane was about the same size, powered by a .45. Still, pattern styles have changed over the years which made folks want to have the extra power, I suppose. I'm speaking as a 'historian', not as a pattern pilot (of which I'm not). It's just something I've followed over the years.

For example, Nich, that Epsilon that I'm thinking about has a 63" span, a 65" fuse, and the target weight is 7.5 lbs. It's rated for .60-.90. I'm thinking about putting a .75 ST in it, just to learn pattern.

You can see it at http://www.camodel.com.ar/Ingles/models1.htm

Let me know what you think...

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM