HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2004, 03:22 PM
Waldo?
Wolcott Ct
Joined Jun 2003
46 Posts
As a double "EE" I'm well aware of the MCD issues . Where can you get these LEDS for .60 Cents? I would love to buy some more in the 22000mcd range! The LEDS I purchased light a 15 foot circle on the ground from 40 feet up at night! They will temp blind you if you look directly at them . One of my buddies put them on the front wing tips of his slow stick pointing at 45 degrees back to the tail, when he flew it, it "projected" a huge shadow of his planes tail on the side of my hanger as it flew by! Pretty Cool!

PS: I have no relationship with the WEB site, I just like their LEDS and got prompt service!
cwaldo is offline Find More Posts by cwaldo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2004, 08:48 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaldo
As a double "EE" I'm well aware of the MCD issues . Where can you get these LEDS for .60 Cents? I would love to buy some more in the 22000mcd range! The LEDS I purchased light a 15 foot circle on the ground from 40 feet up at night! They will temp blind you if you look directly at them . One of my buddies put them on the front wing tips of his slow stick pointing at 45 degrees back to the tail, when he flew it, it "projected" a huge shadow of his planes tail on the side of my hanger as it flew by! Pretty Cool!

PS: I have no relationship with the WEB site, I just like their LEDS and got prompt service!
I just received some from http://fatsquid.com/store/. The white are 10,000mcd and were $.55 each. But the 22,000mcd sounds bright.
It would be nice to compare the two LEDs' brightness. Can we swap one or aa couple LEDs. then you and I could compare and post pictures. PM me.
Thanks,
Eric
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Oct 27, 2004, 03:04 PM
Waldo?
Wolcott Ct
Joined Jun 2003
46 Posts
I'll buy a couple from your suppliers web site and do a comparison. But its interesting that my leds use 100ma and yours only use 20ma. Yet yours are supposed to be half the mca of mine .
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:48 PM
2ManyHobbies2LittleTime
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Sep 2003
363 Posts
In the spirit of disclosure, I should say that I operate http://store.fatsquid.com and sell the 10,000 mcd white LEDs (for $.55 ea).

I just looked at the spec sheet for your 22,000 mcd monster - I was initially skeptical of the brightness because I assumed it had the same current draw as mine. With 5x the current it's a lot more believable, but now its obvious there's not a linear relationship between brightness and forward current. Regardless of the current, it would definitely be the LED to have if you wanted tons of brightness in a small package.

Jeff
jswayze is offline Find More Posts by jswayze
Old Oct 28, 2004, 03:16 PM
Waldo?
Wolcott Ct
Joined Jun 2003
46 Posts
Jeff

The problem with my leds is how to use one or two leds to properly light the whole plane and not blind people when it flys by. I have seen the "rope" light using a high voltage circuit and thought it was really a great idea (see the picture in this disscussion of the plane on the floor in the dark). But it does have some weight issues when trying to use it in a light plane. My thought to you is this....Can my LEDS be interfaced with a optical fiber? The fiber can NOT be perfectly clear or it will not disperse light along it entire length. The fiber would be flexible and could be dyed for different colors. It would be light, efficient and cost alot less then the other systems. I have not seen anybody doing this yet.......just a thought.....
Old Oct 28, 2004, 04:19 PM
2ManyHobbies2LittleTime
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Sep 2003
363 Posts
Interesting thought. You'd probably just take a normal optical fiber "light pipe" and sand along the entire length - just one narrow long line. That would allow the light to escape (actually diffract) along that surface. It seems like you might have some falloff along its length, however. Neat idea though.

If you're not going for scale, just aiming two LEDs at the fuse or bottom of the wings does a nice job of making the plane visible. You really don't need the mega-lights for that application. Maybe for a search light or something (or maybe landing lights)

Jeff
jswayze is offline Find More Posts by jswayze
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:49 AM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
N.E. USA
Joined Oct 2003
813 Posts
New Programmable LED Flasher / Sequencer project...

WWW.DIYRC.COM/RC-14b.html
Talk about the ultimate LED sequencer... programmable via your PC's 9-pin Com port!
8 channels, with 100 sequence events each channel. Each channel is also capable of being controlled depending on 1 of 16 servo position "zones" as programmed by the user. Simple intuitive PC download program... Supplied Free! Download it and check it out (includes sequence examples and real-time on-screen simulation!)
Tomapowa is offline Find More Posts by Tomapowa
Last edited by Tomapowa; Aug 21, 2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2005, 11:10 PM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
N.E. USA
Joined Oct 2003
813 Posts
MINI-FLASH Programmable LED Flasher/Sequencer ! - Any Beta testers ???

Any one intersted in being a beta tester for this neat device ???

This is the new "Mini-Flash" LED flasher/sequencer controller. You can easily plug your Curtek LEDs into this controller. The controller (like the ProFlash unit) are programmable using your PC and its 9-pin serial port. Each of the 4 LED channels (can plug 2 LEDs into each channel) are controllable in regards to a specific R/C servo channel. Simply plug this unit into a spare receiver channel and you have fully customizable LED lights for your R/C car, truck, boat, plane, heli, etc...

Click on the link below for more info/pictures. PM me for more info.
MINI-FLASH Programmable LED Flasher/Controller
Old Sep 06, 2005, 03:46 PM
Louisville KY
Joined Oct 2004
1,069 Posts
I've read threads about this on in the DIY Electronics forum and I thought the possibility of a halogen reflector bulb is not getting due consideration for a landing light. I understand the LED thing, I've got an assortment of SMT LED chips that I plan to string together with magnet wire someday with SOT 780X regulators or similar, but for a landing light a 20 watt 12v halogen landscape floodlight would kick butt on a larger plane. Maybe it could be selected using a flip-flop toggle scheme on supply board. The landscape flood weighs about 34 grams, maybe in the photography/movie camera world there are lighter shock & vibration resistant low voltage flood lamps. I'll have to search B&H Photo.
podavis is offline Find More Posts by podavis
Old Sep 07, 2005, 06:55 PM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
N.E. USA
Joined Oct 2003
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by podavis
I've read threads about this on in the DIY Electronics forum and I thought the possibility of a halogen reflector bulb is not getting due consideration for a landing light....
The problem with these type of incandescent lamps is that they draw too much current typically, as compared to LEDs. They are now making high power LEDs in various colors. Check out http://www.quickar.com/lux.php?session=nO8NrDdh for some ideas. I have a couple 1 watt luxeons... all I can say is wow! With a lens, you would have a very bright spotlight, if that is the effect you are looking for. Again, even these larger/brighter LEDS can draw a bit of power (some up to 400ma each LED).
Old Sep 07, 2005, 08:25 PM
Louisville KY
Joined Oct 2004
1,069 Posts
I live under one of the approach lanes to Detroit Metro. Sometimes the big boys drop their gears as they pass over Dearborn and the landing lights will briefly light-up the neighborhood. They're still pretty high-up so I figure they are using spot lights. A 20 watt 12 volt halogen bulb draws about 1 2/3 amps and illuminates a good part of a 50' blue spruce. If I'm flying a lipo that can deliver 12 or more amps diverting 1 or 2 amps to a landing light for 10 - 15 seconds seems reasonable, unless there's an LED that can compete. I have a couple LED head lights (the kind that are worn on ones head) and the blueish light just doesn't do it for me when I want to see well. Maybe it's an over 50 thing. I switch to incandescent on the one model when visual acuity really matters. Maybe it's because I haven't seen the LED's that are being discussed here. I read somewhere recently, FLC news or NASA Tech Briefs, that incandescent replacments were still a few years off.
Old Sep 07, 2005, 09:17 PM
Louisville KY
Joined Oct 2004
1,069 Posts
I don't know why I didn't think of this before for a landing light, the best low voltage lighting technology is used by bikers, the 27 speed variety. I already have a 10 watt headlight that I bought a few years ago on closeout (it has a small lead-acid battery!). The filament is shock resistant because it's mounted to the handle bars and gets pounded pretty good. I just checked the bikenashbar website and there are still plenty of halogen high-end systems, and a few LED systems too. Sounds like a winter project to me, minus the lead-acid battery.