HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:31 AM
Sir, Calm down!
Madison Truax Fld, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
66 Posts
Up she goes...down she comes

So you see I get to the field at 6am as I go after work (I work third shift) It's pretty cold out around 45F but that isn't going to stop me. I get my slow stick out and fire her up. Nothing. All the control surfaces move but no motor. I fiddle with the wires a bit and turn everything off. I wait a bit and turn it back on and she fires up. I launch it and do a half circle of the field. Motor cuts out and down she comes. Now nothing moves. I go home. The next day at home I tear it all apart and make sure all connectors are plugged in tight and they are. I turn it on and she fires right up, and works as it should. I have a GWS RX and speed control in it along with a 7 cell 1100 mah battery that was fully charged. Any ideas? I don't think it was the cool temp but it might have been. Anyone have anything like this happen?
R/C~Mev is offline Find More Posts by R/C~Mev
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2004, 05:18 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,330 Posts
1) loose connection

2) How long since you charged the battery?

3) the antenna is running near something that is causing interference, or it may have "almost" pulled loose from a crash so it is unreliable.

4) The ESC is flakey
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 15, 2004, 08:00 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
If it werent for your second issue when nothing worked, id say it was your throttle trim on the tx got bumped. Happened to me once and i thought the speedo was toast. New speedo didnt work either. Finally i noticed my thr. trim was 1/4 way up. The esc wont 'arm' until the throttle is set to zero - a nice safety feature btw.
Since you said it didnt work at all the second time, id say the speedo IS actually bad OR your transmitter batts are dead.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Oct 15, 2004, 08:34 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
I've got a Hitec 535 rcvr that won't work below 35 degrees? Maybe that's why they call it a 535?

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:43 AM
Gardena, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
736 Posts
Might be the cold weather. Batteries slow down as they get colder. 45 degrees then add wind chill when flying, maybe just got to cold. Good luck.
RandyT is offline Find More Posts by RandyT
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:48 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
It is a good idea to top off Ni battery packs right before you fly, especially in cold weather. It helps if they are slightly warm.

Viper
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Oct 15, 2004, 01:14 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
Hey R/C~Mev,
Where do you fly in Madison?
I fly around the UW campus.
-Hans
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Old Oct 16, 2004, 03:34 AM
Sir, Calm down!
Madison Truax Fld, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
66 Posts
Just to answer a few of the comments. I donít think it was a loose connection as I pushed and pulled on everything. I have my ESC and RX wrapped in foam so they are not damaged (that I can see) Batteries both had fresh charge on them (removed from charger just prior to going to the field.) I think Iím going to chalk it up to a flakey ESC.
A huge thank you for everyones input.
R/C~Mev is offline Find More Posts by R/C~Mev