Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 14, 2004, 09:46 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Scratch build of a Beechcraft Musketeer or Piper Cherokee

A few days ago I saw a picture of a Piper Cherokee and decided to find a parkflyer kit of the airplane. I couldn't find one I liked so I decided to build one. While searching through the net I came across another model, the Beechcraft Musketeer, which had a similar shape to the Cherokee but looked much nicer. I decided to build the Musketeer instead, although it would be easy to switch back to the cherokee at any time since they were the same basic shape.
I have only done one balsa build before, the PA-18 Super Cub, from the pull out plan in the FLYRC magazine (very nice flying plane). I decided to use the same dimensions as the Cub and just shape the fuse like the Musketeer instead of the Cub. I traced the fuselage drawing of the cub onto poster paper and used that as a template to draw the outline of the fuse for the musketeer. Instead of the sheeted sides the cub has, I decided to use stringers on the Musketeer to save some weight. Using some pictures I got on the net I was able to start the build and this is what I have done after two nights of building.

This is the real Beechcraft Musketeer that I am using for reference.
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot
Last edited by pc_pilot; Oct 14, 2004 at 09:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2004, 09:48 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
the first night of work.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 09:50 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
After two nights.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:39 AM
Somerset, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Jun 2004
545 Posts
I look forward to watching your build. I have wanted to build a Cherokee for some time now and have not pushed myself to start yet.
rpage is offline Find More Posts by rpage
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:54 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
I plan on using a GWS-300C or 350C C geared power system and hope to get an all up weight of less than 16 ounces. My cub uses the 350C c geared setup at all up weight of 17 ounces and can fly level at half throttle using a 2S 1800 mah li-ion pack. Wingspan will be 48 inches.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 01:10 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Beechcraft Musketeer

pc_pilot,

Way to GO!!!!!

You have a great beginning on that model. I'm sure that there will be engineering things to work out along the build, but I think you have captured the plane already.

Please keep the pics coming!!

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Oct 14, 2004, 06:25 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,761 Posts
Looking very good! Isn't it cool what you can do with balsa? You better be making drawings too, because you're going to get a lot of requests!

Nick
nfhill is online now Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:04 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
After 3 nights.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 08:11 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
one more.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:20 AM
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
Looks cool. Your fuse structure looks very minimalist.
stjobs is offline Find More Posts by stjobs
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:41 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
This is not the finished airframe as yet. I will add a few more stringers between the current ones to give the covering more surface to stick to and to make the shape of the plane smoother (mainly on the rear half of the fuse and the top). I am also thinking of going rudder elevator only on this one. The rudder on the cub is very effective and will be more than enough for the Musketeer if I increase the dihedral a little more than it was on the cub.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 03:42 PM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
I have completed the main body and some parts of the tail.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 04:17 PM
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
Your covering looks good. What did you use for the windshield?

Also, this is quite a big plane, right? Next to the GWS package it looks large, and I know how big those boxes are.

What are your plans for power system, battery, etc?
stjobs is offline Find More Posts by stjobs
Old Oct 16, 2004, 04:29 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Scratch Build

pc_pilot,

Nice looking work. Can you post a pic of the extra stringers you added to get the top looking like you wanted? I am interested in seeing what you did.

Nice colors!!

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Oct 16, 2004, 06:03 PM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Stjobs,
The power system will be a GWS 350-C with a 9x7 prop. I used the same system on my cub which is the same size as the Musketeer and it worked very well. The windshield was cut from the plastic food containers that you get from takeout food stores. The body of the airplane is the same size as the GWS Beaver but the wingspan is 45 inches by 6 inches.

Roger,
My camera wasn't charged last night, so I couldn't get any pictures just before I covered it. I didn't add any more stringers to the top, I only added some to the rear fuse to give a more rounded shape.