HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:32 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,508 Posts
Beta Build -- 1.6 Meter Glider from e-flightrc.com

I was lucky enough to be selected for a beta build for a 1.6 Meter built up glider.
The kit is from http://e-flightrc.com.

As this was a beta kit there were a few pieces missing, but all in all the Kit was very complete, and the laser cutting was very crisp with no burn marks. And something that was different, for me anyway, was that all parts were free from the sheets.

A small hardware kit was included, and although all was top notch , I replaced most of it as it was metric, and I have plenty of standard hardware. I know if I used the metric hardware, I would loose a wing, or rudder bolt, and not have a spare.

Here are some pics.
1st shot - Ribs as they come
2nd shot-- sub ribs as they come
3rd shot -- Wing braces
4th shot -- Rudder parts
5th shot --- Fuse parts
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:48 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,508 Posts
This is unique for a pure sail plane is that it has a highly swept wing, so construction is a bit unique. Not hard, just a bit different. There are tabs on the TE of the ribs that provide the amount of required washout. The wing is built flat on the board. Plenty of weight will greatly aid in building a straight wing.

Pic 1
Use spacers to lift the spar from the board.
Use the pre-cut Sub TE, and wing longerons. (see pic 3 above) as spacers.
I used magnets to hold the ribs while all the ribs are placed.

Pic 2
Here's a shot with all ribs, and spars in place. Note use of plenty of weight.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:53 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,508 Posts
The wing is basically a modified D-tube. LE sheeting, smalll TE shetting and cap strips.

Pic 1
I began by installing the bottom sheeting, and supporting the sheeting at the LE with the same scraps that I used to support the spar.

Pic 2
To sheet the top, I wood glue ( slower drying ) and plenty of formable weight. In this case some old bags of navy beans.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:06 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,508 Posts
Here's a shot of the wing tip ( will partially cap later) Note square LE and (hard to see) sub LE.

Right now I can't find the rest of the wing pics, and will post when I locate them.

On to the Fuse.
The Fuse is basically a box. Nothing too fancy. The kit included a laser cut DD motor mount. The Gear box I am using didn't allow for it. I made my own simple one.

Pic 1 -- Brace for Motor Mount
Pic 2 -- Motor Mount
Pic 3 -- Fuse rear before MM is glued
Pic 4 -- Above after MM is glued
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:15 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,508 Posts
TO fit the motor, I had to cut part of the rear sheeting. I am not sure if I;ll build a scoop, or cover for the motor. I'll see how warm it runs first.

Pic 1 -- Test fit of motor
Pic 2 -- Rough Cut out
Pic 3 -- Above w/ motor
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:21 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,508 Posts
Moving to the nose. It is a compound taper. The side view is cut in the laser cut fuse side. I used scrap wood to fill the void between the 2 fuse sides.

Pic 1 -- Real rough cut of nose. No glue yet
Pic 2 -- Hollow out the nose
Pic 3 -- Glue and rough shape sides
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:29 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,508 Posts
Pic 1 -- Marking the nose for center
Pic 2 -- Using SeeTemp (www.seetemp.com) to mark top view for shaping . Got the outline from the plans.
Pic 3 -- Rough cut of nose

Well that's all the pics I have for now. I can give you a sneak peak, and tell you that the plane is all built, and ready and I'm in the process of covering ( Solite).

Considering the complexity of the wing, it went togeather really well. I did have a few missing parts, but I went over this with the designer, and I'm sure this will not be a problem w/ future kits.
The fuse is just a simple box. It is not jig built like say a Mountain Models kits, but it really easy to build, and not having it self jig was not an issue.

There are 2 rudders that mount on the wing tips. the outline is laser cut and went togeather with no muss or fuss.

More pics ( and depending on weather ) a flight report to come.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:38 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,508 Posts
ooops forgot pic of wing tip in post 4
Here it is
Old Oct 14, 2004, 03:43 AM
Crash master...
Joined Apr 2003
271 Posts
Excellent job!
BeanBag instead SandBag
Personally I build and flew bit different version: foam core wings, different airfoil, BL motor, heavy battery pack. AUW ~ 700 g.
Flew good, stable, no negative tendencies on pitch or yaw axis. Shallow glide path, work well with thermal or light wind on slope. Finally, after some flights I destroy this model… Tight turn on slow speed, tip stall, spin, ground. Nothing to repair, wing broke by half, fuse in shreds. What I say – pilot...
Now I start build two another version, playing with airfoils and twist distribution across span. Stay with foam core wing, use front part of GFK fuse from my old glider.
Good luck !
Lazy is offline Find More Posts by Lazy