SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2004, 03:57 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,695 Posts
2005 F5B NATS (North American Tour Series)

Russell Green and I have discussed the possibility to have a F5B event tour as an informal umbrella for the various F5B contests around North America. We figure, if we coordinate this on-line and get locations and dates established early on, interested pilots may be able to attend several of these events next year.

Here is a list of what we have committed so far:
-- Virginia, May 7; Russell Green.
-- Oregon, no firm dates yet, but we can pick any one of our once-per-month contests running April through October; Don Pesznecker and Dieter Mahlein.
-- F5B Team Trials, most likely in San Diego, preferred date August (?); is that flexible? Who wants to be the contact person?

Other potential contests (no obligation, just a list of where contests have been held, and/or who expressed interest in the past):
-- Quebec, Jean-Claude Terrettaz (?)
-- New Mexico, Dave Sieger (?)
-- Colorado, Lenny Keer (?)
-- where, when, who else is interested in holding an F5B-style event?

This coordination effort focuses on providing a time table for interested pilots and clarifying what to expect at each contests. We do not wish to impose a mandatory format for the various events and instead will let CDs set up their contest as fits their situation.

This thread is intended to discuss this idea. For example, we may want to address if/how individual events wish to amend the FAI rules to suit our less formal contests (team-trials excluded).

For registration and site/contest-specific details, however, each contest will have an e-mail address where pilots can register. For example Russell Green is the coordinator of the Virginia contest, and I am it for the Oregon contest.
Likewise, ShredAir will be happy to set up and host a web page listing locations, dates, contact, access maps, site-specific issues and rules, registered participants, results, etc.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:16 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Deiter,

A tour is a good idea. We have discussed a west coast tour in the past but never could get enough interest by others. We would need to get some sponsorship for the tour for trophies and prizes at the end of the series.

I will be the contact for the F5B Team Trials if they awarded to Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego. As we have done for the past several trials we would again have an open contest along with the trials. August 20-22 would be a likely date but this is all up in the air and has to be approved through the AMA process. A bid for the trials has not yet been submitted but will be.

I would suggest that for the top class that the FAI F5B rules be followed and variations be allowed in the 7 and 10 cell classes.

Chuck
rcelectfly is online now Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:26 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
This is just what we need in the f5b hobby. It will spurn interest, and hopefully the law of economics will start coming into play and the more people that want f5b, the more affordable the hobby will become.

I will be glad to help anyway I can...

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:07 PM
electron liberator
United States, GA, Suwanee
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Dieter,

I would definitely be interested if you guys come to Georgia or somewhere close. The Virgina one may be feasible depending on when it is. I understand that there will need to be enough interest to consider it.

Andy W, would you be interested and do you know others in our area that would be? I suppose possibly Yogi too.

Jason
jaywatay is offline Find More Posts by jaywatay
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:57 PM
I like cheese...
Bloomington, IN
Joined Sep 2001
846 Posts
I have to agree that this is exciting news. Because I will have to travel to attend, it looks like I'll be prepping two planes to have a back-up and buying a sport tube to travel. Then again, I can always drive 650 miles to go to an event.

I would consider holding an event, but electrics are just not the thing here in the midwest. We can still find huge open fields (surrounded by corn) with few neighbors. Guys still fly gas, and electrics are just park flyers and sport planes.

John P
Whizwaz is offline Find More Posts by Whizwaz
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:08 PM
Beware of squishy fishy
Carlisle, PA, United States
Joined May 2003
684 Posts
Count me in. Now, I just need to get my hands on a worthy F5B airframe. Hmmmm, where to get one. It sure would be nice to have an event some place warm when it's cold here. How about Phoenix
Fishstyx is offline Find More Posts by Fishstyx
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:07 PM
Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2001
899 Posts
How 'bout throwing F5D into the mix ... a little inter-mingling of F5B and F5D has kept things going strong in San Diego . . . maybe a nationwide tour will do the same for the US as a whole.

Just a thought from a go fast, turn left guy . . .

Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
MarcusT is offline Find More Posts by MarcusT
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:11 PM
Joined Mar 2001
4,695 Posts
Chuck: I was hoping/counting on to have you aboard as the contact for the team trials; thank you.
I'd prefer to do away with trophies, raffles, vendor donations, etc., and have this mostly be an informational tour where people experience the challenge of optimizing their flying within a clearly defined set of rules. Ideally, I'd like to see anyone with interest and a hotliner-style/F5Bish plane to feel invited and welcome at any one of these contest, and I hope every individual event will be able to accommodate those wishing to practice for the FAI team.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:28 PM
Joined Mar 2001
4,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusT
How 'bout throwing F5D into the mix ... a little inter-mingling of F5B and F5D has kept things going strong in San Diego . . . maybe a nationwide tour will do the same for the US as a whole.

Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
Mark: I thought about this. Fact is, F5Bravo and Delta are quite different events, requiring different equipment and set-ups. While the Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego (SESFD) have demonstrated in 2000 that they can handle both -- on different fields, in different time slots, and with the necessary frequency control (odd channel numbers for one class, even ones for the other) -- I doubt anyone else on the short list of hosting clubs for this informal tour can accomodate all this.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:28 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
I will definitively organise a 2 days F5B friendly contest here in Ottawa ( Ontario) I have to decide the date , june is a good time , for the field no probleme : sod farm ,our Rideau Club or my field @ home ( 100 acres ) . I will have a timing crew ( thank Louis)and whe have the course pylons and buzzer . I hope pilots, know will travel north...
J-C T
bidule is online now Find More Posts by bidule
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:55 PM
Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2001
899 Posts
The gas guys won't let us play with them . . . the glider guys despise us for our speed and "noise" . . . and now the F5B guys shun us too . . . F5D, the black sheep of the modeling world . . .

F5B and F5D really don't work well together . . . two totally different disciplines that simply share a common desire to burn up electrons (and money) at a prolific rate.

I really didn't think that the idea would work, Dieter . . . just thought I'd throw it out there anyway. BTW, you'll be seeing your Cyclone pretty quick ... after a few months of non-stop personal issues, I'm finally back in the shop full-time and producing planes at a normal rate again.

Mark
MarcusT is offline Find More Posts by MarcusT
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:33 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusT

Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
Mark,

We do a lot of F5D and other pylon in San Diego but we no longer do it together with F5B. For the Electric World Championships like we did in 2000 you have to do it together.

Having a separate pylon series would also be interesting. How about having a California series to start.

We are holding a low key pylon races on the second Saturday of every month. We run several classes including speed 400, F5D-SD (our on class) and F5D. As long as at least two planes show up in a class we run that class. Why don't you come down and fly with us next month?

Do you have a place up there to hold an event?

Chuck
rcelectfly is online now Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Oct 14, 2004, 05:53 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I had asked here about setting up something before SEFF next year (now April 21-24, 2005) but received very little response. SEFF has an LMR glider competition on Thursday, I figured an informal F5B day would bring in more pilots early too..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 14, 2004, 07:04 AM
JMS
Lake Grove, New York
Joined Jul 2003
15 Posts
I would like to try to get something going here in Long Island.

Joe S.
jmscpa5 is offline Find More Posts by jmscpa5
Old Oct 14, 2004, 07:45 AM
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
I had asked here about setting up something before SEFF next year (now April 21-24, 2005) but received very little response. SEFF has an LMR glider competition on Thursday, I figured an informal F5B day would bring in more pilots early too..
..a
Andy - could you have the F5B event on Friday or Thursday with/adjacent to the LMR group? Organize it, and we will come.
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift