HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2004, 01:54 PM
Joined Aug 2004
995 Posts
anyone know where I can get a replacement head stiffener for my DF 2004?

title says it all except:

I am looking for an OEM part- the blue anodised aluminum stiffener that goes underneath the rotor head
Willard is offline Find More Posts by Willard
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2004, 02:25 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,824 Posts
Willard, just out of curiousity, why did you want that? If your flying with stock setup, and crash hard, that thing bends super easy, and puts the blade tracking way out of wack.
Shane
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Oct 13, 2004, 02:32 PM
Joined Aug 2004
995 Posts
It came with the head stiffener so I am just assuming it is a good idea to keep it on there?

Since my last crash with a wall it looks like a piece of a car wreck.

Do you think I should take it off? I didnt think about how it might affect blade tracking. I cant keep this thing in the air anyhow- it is sooooo sluggish and unresponsive compared to all the helis on FMS flight simulator

I can fly those just fine but this thing is just one big crash-fest.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 03:08 PM
ncb
A&P
Parker, Colorado
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Helli-Hobby or ALLERC have them. If I remember they come in aluminum or composite. Could be wrong...
ncb is offline Find More Posts by ncb
Old Oct 13, 2004, 03:26 PM
wow! that was CLOSE!
Los Angeles Intl, California, United States
Joined Oct 2003
93 Posts
There are many types of head stiffeners. From lots of stores.
Aman98 is offline Find More Posts by Aman98
Old Oct 13, 2004, 03:29 PM
wow! that was CLOSE!
Joined Oct 2003
93 Posts
The easy way I made a new one was to go to the local hobby shop and buy 2 ball studs(long) and 2 ballcups Then use a 4-40 bolt or car turnbuckle to connect the ballcups together. Put ball studs in place of blade bolts and put a locking nut under the blades(to hold them) now with balls on top of the head you can snap the ballcups into place. Then turn the bolt or turnbuckle to reach the wanted stiffness of the head Works great! If you have RC CAR knowage it should be easy! but ask me if you dont understand
Old Oct 13, 2004, 03:31 PM
wow! that was CLOSE!
Joined Oct 2003
93 Posts
I mean you can change the angle of the blades with adjustment to lenght. For different conditions.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 03:45 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman98
The easy way I made a new one was to go to the local hobby shop and buy 2 ball studs(long) and 2 ballcups Then use a 4-40 bolt or car turnbuckle to connect the ballcups together. Put ball studs in place of blade bolts and put a locking nut under the blades(to hold them) now with balls on top of the head you can snap the ballcups into place. Then turn the bolt or turnbuckle to reach the wanted stiffness of the head Works great! If you have RC CAR knowage it should be easy! but ask me if you dont understand
Very good idea…I was going to recommend the same.

We used to use this setup on R/C cars between the front shock mounts. It helped to maintain suspension symmetry under aggressive driving conditions.
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Oct 13, 2004, 04:39 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
you can get head stiffeners from www.like90.com Don't bother with the stock one as skeppley points out, they just bend. The CF/Delrin/FG ones are much better and i am yet to see one break
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Oct 13, 2004, 04:46 PM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts

These are Du-Bro links. All you would need to do is find the right size for the blade holder and get some threaded rod.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 04:52 PM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Here is the generic ball and ballcup that would work with some threaded rod.

Old Oct 13, 2004, 06:14 PM
Joined Aug 2004
995 Posts
thanks guys,

You are right about the stock HS being trash.

Every time the head pops off it gets another kink

I will get a derlin one that goes on top instead
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:33 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
I cut and drilled some old fiberglass circuit board material for the head stiffener, mounted the blades on top of the head and the stiffener on top of that.

It was free.
Also i like having alot of surface area from the stiffener contacting the blades, the ball links are nice because of the adjustability, but they dont offer much support for the root of the blades, even with a washer under them, the washer can still give a little.
Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad