HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:19 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1 Posts
Live Video Feed

I am very new to RC airplanes and i know this is probably just a stupid newb question that gets asked alot but...

here it comes...

I remember a long time ago, way before I ever even thought of flying RC airplanes I saw a show on some guys who wired mini(spy) video cameras to their planes the cameras gave live feed into the guys laptops. I was just wondering how to do this and what camera's are the cheapest.
Cadaverous Fly is offline Find More Posts by Cadaverous Fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2004, 01:06 AM
CA Is Your Friend
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2004
251 Posts
Check out the AP Board. There are multiple threads on this topic.
Jim Ridgway is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ridgway
Old Oct 13, 2004, 01:06 AM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
If you want cheap, go with something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...725506945&rd=1

It comes with everything you need to get going except a laptop or VCR to record the video output on. Who knows how good the camera, transmitter or receiver is, but you asked for the cheapest, so there you go.
Mattydiah is online now Find More Posts by Mattydiah
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:42 PM
Monson, Massachussetts, United States
Joined Aug 2004
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattydiah
If you want cheap, go with something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...725506945&rd=1

It comes with everything you need to get going except a laptop or VCR to record the video output on. Who knows how good the camera, transmitter or receiver is, but you asked for the cheapest, so there you go.

I have this setup and it is terrible. I mounted it on my RC Car and I am lucky if I can keep a usable signal the length of the driveway. The transmitter/camera is small and you can definately put it in an aircraft. I think the weak link is the receiver. It has aknob for tuning in the signal. It's about a 300 degree turn and 1 degree of it will actually bring in the signal. If I had to guess I might even think it's a regen type receiver. Maybe making something crystal controlled for the specific frequency the camera is putting out might help, but I just haven't had the time to play with it yet.

I built a transmitter for a guy at work. He is going to use in a bigger aircraft. It's on the ham bands. Being a ham it was ok for me to build and tune. He hasn't taken the test yet for his ticket, so he hasn't powered it up yet. It puts out about 2 watts and we have done land tests of over 1 mile with good antennas. He has a cool idea of using video goggles and flying the plane that way. Yes, I will be taking video :-D

Hope this helps,

Kaos
Kaos116 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos116
Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:47 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
588 Posts
There are two option....

Check this company out.
Blackwidowav

You can have either the video/camera aboard your plane, or have the signal fed to your equipment on the ground.
pkrska is offline Find More Posts by pkrska
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:16 AM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos116
I have this setup and it is terrible.
I know, I never said it was good. He said he wanted cheap, and you cant argue with $20
Mattydiah is online now Find More Posts by Mattydiah
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Put a better battery on it........

If you use something like a 9.6 volt battery pack it will transmit much better with a more stable signal.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 14, 2004, 01:06 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Actually, there is a voltage regulator in the plug on those cameras. You can read more about them here: http://www.rc-cam.com/hk_video.htm

Keith
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Oct 14, 2004, 01:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I understand that........

But once you drain the battery the voltage regulator is useless. If the battery is drawn down enough there is nothing for the regulator to regulate. I do know from my own experience with an "800mw" transmitter that it worked much much better with a battery pack than it did with a 9 volt transistor radio battery. The nine volt battery would drain pretty quickly and I had all sorts of problems after that happened. If it's made to regulate 9 volts and you are only feeding it six volts from a nearly drained battery it will throw the whole thing out of kelter. Cut the plug off the battery lead and replace it with a plug that will accept a 9.6 volt pack and see for yourself.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Last edited by randall1959; Oct 14, 2004 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:58 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,582 Posts
I am using the BlackwidowAV camera sysem. I get great video link about 1/2 mile out. the 200mW system is about 250.00 and it works great. Now I need to digitize the video I have and post it here.

The BlackvideoAV also has a down link TX that transfer the Video out sighal from your digital still camera to the groun so you can see what your camera is seeing. Just click the button when you see something good.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Last edited by bhchan; Oct 14, 2004 at 11:00 PM. Reason: more info