HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:20 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
I use the 3/4 x 3/4 balsa rod. Shoved it all the way down the fuse to the tail screws. I've got a battery tray screwed to the fuse now and it's solid as a rock. The stock fuse is very fragile IMHO and bending is NOT the way to go. It is very easily kinked. Waiting for my Himax as we speak. The next SS build will be killer and there WILL be a camera on board!

Steve
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2004, 02:24 PM
Blue Foam & a Happy Home
www.DadsFunPage.com
Joined Jun 2003
797 Posts
Quote:
Is there any chance that in bending it, you bent it too far, and then bent it back?
I didn't bend it back. I think the power of 3 cell li-poly and weight of Nikon did that for me. Too far? I don't know. I was enough to keep the nose down under power. It worked just great since Feb when I made the bend. Never any problems. I just didn't think about it again when I started adding more power and weight.

Quote:
You got real lucky!
Yes I did! It could have twisted and ripped the ESC away from the battery plug in. Then it would have been a glider.

Quote:
stock fuse is very fragile IMHO and bending is NOT the way to go. It is very easily kinked.
Exactly why I posted this. So others would steer clear of this method.
bradm is offline Find More Posts by bradm
Old Oct 13, 2004, 04:42 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,255 Posts
I hope I'm not the only one here who has a love/hate relationship with their SS. Honestly, when I first opened the box I was fairly upset - meat tray wing and fins, cheap tube fuselage (mine was "pre-bent") - I thought to myself: what a cheap piece of junk.

Thus far, I couldn't be happier with the performance of this aircraft. I added a Speed 400 gearbox drivetrain and added a bamboo spar to support the wing and mine really flys well. Loaded with camera, it zips up to altitude well within my definition of "adequate climb" and lands exactly where I want it.

IMO, it looks dorky and it's cheap, but wow, it sure has proven to be a great a/p platform in moderate/light winds.

I find it ironic I still have a 3/8" hardwood stick from my "old" days of r/c - thanks for the idea of using Probond - I think my SS would definitely benefit from this added weight and my peace of mind would far offset the (probably) minor decrease in performance.

Sorry about the tube failure - surprised & happy it was't a big loss. For anyone doing a/p with a SS, I think beefing up the fuselstick should be considered "mandatory". Great thread.
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:58 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
I don't hate anything about my SS. Just a few minor mods and it's ready to rock.

I think this thread title (yet another thing...) is somewhat misleading, implying that lots of things go wrong with the SS. As opposed to many other planes, (particularly for AP, the EZ400G) very little goes wrong with the SS. Beef up the wing just a bit, insert a wooden dowel, add a better power plant go put that camera on.

The down/right thrust mod isn't even necessary if you ask me. I've got one 1.5 years old with the gentle curve bent into it which still flies great, but the last I built I didn't even bother. Just a nudge down on the stick (or trim) during climb and no worries.

It's the pure simplicity of the SS that make it "ugly" and at the same time, an unparalleled, reliable workhorse.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Oct 13, 2004, 06:15 PM
Blue Foam & a Happy Home
www.DadsFunPage.com
Joined Jun 2003
797 Posts
Quote:
I think this thread title (yet another thing...) is somewhat misleading
You're right, sorry about that. I didn't intend to knock the plane, just warn folks as I'd not seen this problem before.

For me this is yet another thing. When I got the Slowstick and read these threads I read about beefing up the wing with carbon fiber and putting strapping tape along the bottom.

I did those things and have had no trouble with the wing. What I hadn't read (it's probably here, but I hadn't found it) was about the tail feathers needing to be beefed up. At Christmas last year a gust of wind snapped them and down it went. I posted a thread to let everyone know. So, this build I added CF and cross braces there thanks to good advice from this forum.

So, you see, this is the "yet another thing" for me as I'd just not read about it here. I'm trying to do folks a favor who use this plane, not knock the plane. I'll buy another one in a second 'cause I couldn't be happier with it.

I could do without the thrust mod, but making the mod really helps me control the climb better. It kept wanting to go over backward before doing it.

I'll try to get some photos of my latest thrust mod and post it here for scrutiny to see if it can be made better. There's a lot of great advice on this forum with a great moderator I might add.

In summary - I hope this thread helps someone. That's the intended purpose.

bradm
http://www.dadsfunpage.com
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:40 PM
Blue Foam & a Happy Home
www.DadsFunPage.com
Joined Jun 2003
797 Posts
OK, here's my new thrust angle mod using the scientificly proven TLAR method.

There is a screw holding the stick at the front of the fuse and another holding the GB to the stick. After that, I used 4 zip ties and snugged them down good. Finally, the strapping tape is there as the zip ties might slip around. The square "shim" is CA'd to the stick.

It feels pretty solid after some good hard yanks and lots of wiggling.

Up for review. Tell me if you think I can make it better or if it's so bad I should start all over again. Maybe post a link to a thead with a better method.

On another note, Steve, feel free to change the thread title if you feel it's appropriate. I don't care to mislead anyone. I'd prefer this to be helpful to my fellow Slowstick users.

Thanks,

bradm
http://www.dadsfunpage.com
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:05 PM
err...see where it went?
Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
605 Posts
is it just me or is that on a 15-20 degree angle?
crooser is offline Find More Posts by crooser
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:08 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Why in the world isn't it inside the fuse????
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:12 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Rough Drawing. Stick can be made fron a single piece of hardwood or laminated plywood
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:13 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
The down/right thrust mod isn't even necessary if you ask me... Just a nudge down on the stick (or trim) during climb and no worries.
Or you can mix throttle->elevator and throttle->rudder at the Tx.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:09 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
I actually have a "flight condition" programmed so I just throw a switch when climbing hard.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:37 PM
Blue Foam & a Happy Home
www.DadsFunPage.com
Joined Jun 2003
797 Posts
These are good ideas I can try. Obviously I'm down thrust mod challenged. My radio is capable of this. Maybe I'll do that and save the weight.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:59 PM
err...see where it went?
Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
605 Posts
would it be safe to say the "down" mod is the most important one of the two?

the mount for my pjs800 can be angled, but only in one direction without bending/modding the fuse

what would you guys do if you had to use just one?

down or right?
crooser is offline Find More Posts by crooser
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:29 AM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Down
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:40 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Unless you are having trouble getting enough throw to make tight turns in both directions the right thrust part isn't as important. The mount I use for the Nippy and other outrunners like the AXI I am now using is easily adjusted both ways with the addition of spacer washers.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com