Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2004, 05:55 PM
Blue Foam & a Happy Home
www.DadsFunPage.com
Joined Jun 2003
797 Posts
Yet another thing that can go wrong on a Slow Stick

I've read some threads on how some people bend the fuse to adjust for thrust angle. It seemed pretty simple and has worked great for quite some time. I had been using a 2 cell 2100 Li-Poly and the Aiptek SD.

I just switched to 3 cell 1500 Li-Poly and the Nikon 3700. Up it went for some test flights with the new camera mount I just built. I tooled it around the sky and did a few landings to adjust the camera (experimenting) and then back up for more.

On about the 5th time up it just snapped over backwards. I cut the throttle quick as it just acted weird. I thought perhaps there was an elevator problem and babied it back down w/o power.

Well, here's what happened. Nikon and everything else is safe. It didn't even twist the wires that much.
bradm is offline Find More Posts by bradm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2004, 06:01 PM
Blue Foam & a Happy Home
www.DadsFunPage.com
Joined Jun 2003
797 Posts
I did get some good shots, though. Some of them were with thick cloud cover before the sun peeked through. The last one is a ground shot.

bradm
http://www.dadsfunpage.com
Old Oct 12, 2004, 06:10 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
That's why I always cut a thrust plug!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 12, 2004, 06:55 PM
Blue Foam & a Happy Home
www.DadsFunPage.com
Joined Jun 2003
797 Posts
Yep, that's what I used to have on a prior plane then I read of others just bending the fuse. If I read it and did it, others here may have as well.

I almost have mine put back together now.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 07:42 PM
United States, IA, Onawa
Joined Nov 2003
1,449 Posts
Wow!
Glad you got it down ok.

Nice pictures too!
IA-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by IA-Flyer
Old Oct 12, 2004, 07:47 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
I bend mine as well, but not before inserting a 1' piece of 2213 arrowshaft. The latest SS fuses have seemed very "buttery" to me compared to my old one.
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:01 PM
heWhoDieWithMostPlaneWin
Dural Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2003
316 Posts
Glad you got everything back. Had a similar problem once when I had only pushed on the gearbox to the fuse. Strangely enough it pulled off, but still had full control so just glided it back in - Nikon 3700 and all. My wires were *very* twisted...

The Nikon has a bad habit of over exposing. Try setting the exposure down -0.7. There is the added benifit of getting higher shutter speed by doing this. Also, using sports mode also holds the ASA at 100 (by default it uses 50ASA).

-Grant
angrykoala is offline Find More Posts by angrykoala
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:23 PM
Blue Foam & a Happy Home
www.DadsFunPage.com
Joined Jun 2003
797 Posts
Quote:
The Nikon has a bad habit of over exposing. Try setting the exposure down -0.7. There is the added benifit of getting higher shutter speed by doing this. Also, using sports mode also holds the ASA at 100 (by default it uses 50ASA).
This is good to know. Thank you very much Grant.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:37 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Guess you had a kink in the fuse - bad nuse...

I bend mine with a gently curved 2x4 in a vise. No kinking, and it's worked great with every power system I've used including the insane PJS800+tanic 3S. Does not compromise the fuse strength.

Glad you got her back down in one (well, two) pieces.

I sure hope they aren't using thinner alum in the newer slow sticks...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=vise
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:44 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
I use a basswood or balsa insert in the fuse from the nose to 3" behind the rear wing mount. The fuse doesn't deform even when dorked.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:56 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Bill - I've gotten to where I do the same.

I insert a square spruce dowel about half the length of the fuse. This allows me to screw my motor mount, battery mount and camera mount directly into the fuse and it's super strong.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:02 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nolan (eBird)
Bill - I've gotten to where I do the same.

I insert a square spruce dowel about half the length of the fuse. This allows me to screw my motor mount, battery mount and camera mount directly into the fuse and it's super strong.
I do the same and at 36.3oz that's about as heavy as I want to get!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:32 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
This is overkill, but I use the Borden polyurethane glue to secure the fuse insert. This is the glue that foams slightly when it cures so the fuse insert does not have to be a perfect fit. I extend the insert to behind the rear wing mount-- this area has a large bending moment in a hard landing and would seem to be prone the crimping in a hard landing. And yes, the wood gives a better grip for screws than the aluminum.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:40 AM
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,524 Posts
I bend mine, too, but I wrap it with fiberglass cloth and paint it with 30 min epoxy after its done.

No problems so far, but those are disturbing pictures. I may have to re-think bending the next one.

Is there any chance that in bending it, you bent it too far, and then bent it back?

I'm wondering if there was a tiny crack anywhere after bending it. Metal fatigue seems to occur rapidly in aluminum (I'm sure some of the engineer types out there can explain this better than me). I had an aluminum wing joiner rod in a glow plane (Sig Something Extra) that bent slightly after I tried to land below the runway.

I put a dowel in the bent tube and bent it back straight, and then went on flying. It failed about five or six flights later from metal fatigue at the bend.
Herleman is offline Find More Posts by Herleman
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:53 AM
RCAPA #14
United States, TX, Wimberley
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
Brad,
You got real lucky! I had a mount give way on my first Video wing... I was way high to see what happened... Long story short, the wires got twisted and cut on my little 2025-4200.... Glad it didnt brake completly off.... That loss of weight on the nose could have been a disaster!

Myron
Myron is offline Find More Posts by Myron