Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2004, 02:15 PM
Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
342 Posts
What to do if you have more planes then receivers?

Hi,

I would like some advice ... I just finished a EFF foamie conversion to RC (the estes spicy wing, called eaglets from conrad).

I had the idea to use connectors (PCB headers) to make the Rx removable and reusable in another plane. Now ... it turns out that it is very involving removing the Rx and inserting it again into the plane. Also, the connectors introduce some extra weight ...

How do you cope with this? Do you buy a Rx per plane - which is too expensive for me - or do you solder the wires on or do you use connectors ...

I would go for soldering, but that would be hard to do when you go out to a gym to fly the planes ...

Johan
nanoflite is offline Find More Posts by nanoflite
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2004, 03:03 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,448 Posts
i usually just fly the plane untill i either get bored with it or crash it too bad to repair and then move to another plane. but i agree it would be nice to have more than one RX.

Derrik
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 12, 2004, 03:25 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
I have chosen to pay the weight penalty and make the rx and actuators removable via connectors. Helps in trouble shooting also. For me, I'm in the 28-30 gr. range and the connectors add a gram or so, which is about 5% of the AUW. Small price to pay if moving stuff from one re-kitted plane to a ready to be flown plane
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Oct 12, 2004, 04:46 PM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Can't you just twist/bend the wires to connect it up. Doesn't add any weight, may not look nice or be absolutely reliable, but it works!!
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Oct 13, 2004, 04:54 AM
Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
342 Posts
snakex2:

Just twist the wires together? Man, that seems unreliable .

I think I'll be out shopping for some very small connectors and some very thin wire to connect all things together.

Another problem I'm having with taking removing/installing an Rx is that it is difficult to make the Rx pluggable. For example on my eaglet conversion, I have to cut the fuselage open - held togther with some clear tape - and that totally destroys the trim I have on the ailerons ....

Probably i need a more clever method of attaching the rx to that one ...

Johan
nanoflite is offline Find More Posts by nanoflite
Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:18 AM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
www.aircraft-world.com sells a set of antenne connectors, that was you can disconnect the antenna near the RX and take it out to another model, if you mark the servo/ESC connectors it's not that much work...
Of course every model needs it's own antenna, just be sure the wire has the same length
It's advisable to secure the connectors from the antenna with same tape too

Peter
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr