Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2004, 05:32 AM
Wind is my sworn enemy
Gothenburg Saeve, Sweden
Joined Sep 2004
86 Posts
Getting ready to build Dandy Sports from MM

Me and my friend just got two kits of dandy sports from Mountain Models. It seems to be a great plane but before we start building it we have som questions:

1. On my e-starter I have removed the dihedral and now I like the plane even more. Should I remove it on the dandy too ?

2. We are going brushless ! I want it to be able to do some serious vertical climbing. Is this possible with a brushless system with 2 cells Lipo? Or should I go 3 cells? What brushless system works best with the dandy ?

3. Is there anything we should reinforce while building it ?

Any tips is appriciated

/Calle
WebWolf is offline Find More Posts by WebWolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2004, 06:26 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
hey Calle:

1: you can get the GT, wing which is flat but also fully symetrical. The alerons work smoother with that wing.

2. an AXI 2212-34 on 3s lipos works great for me. Vertical climbs easily with both wings. (GT and Sport)

3. I never reinforced anything and never had a problem. Should have a fun time building it

tip, If you plan on landing in grass, reinforce the landing gear. (only with the GT wing) landings are hotter then the sport wing and landing in grass will rip the gear off. Just a suggestion good luck!

Kyle
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 06:56 AM
Pro Bro #1442
Detroit City, Michigan, United States
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
You should love the Dandy Sport build, total build time should be between 3-4 days each if you have a lot of time to build, if not, I'd give each a week.

2: With 2s Lipos be sure to get an ESC with a LVC of 6V. or prgrammable LVC, for 3s go up to 9V.

3: I have only reinforced anything on it because I broke the LE dowel, so I epoxied a larger dowel behind the LE dowel and then epoxied some fiber glass cloth over the two dowels.

Be sure to share them with us before the maidens.
W'rkncacnter is offline Find More Posts by W'rkncacnter
Old Oct 12, 2004, 06:57 AM
Wind is my sworn enemy
Gothenburg Saeve, Sweden
Joined Sep 2004
86 Posts
Thx Kyle!

I'm planning on getting the switchback in the future. Maybie i should wait and get that with the 3d wing.

Great that you recommended the AXI, since they can be bought here in sweden That motor is direct drive right ? How do I mount it on the gws stickmount ?... And how is that system on 2 cells ?

W'rkcacnter: Good tip there on the LVC didn't think of that ! I don't wanna ruin my lipos.

We will take pictures of them BEFORE we maiden I'll promise you that

Calle
Last edited by WebWolf; Oct 12, 2004 at 07:02 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 07:01 AM
Wind is my sworn enemy
Gothenburg Saeve, Sweden
Joined Sep 2004
86 Posts
------ double post------
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:20 AM
ProBro #1889
United States, OH, Amelia
Joined Aug 2004
603 Posts
I just purchased a Dandy sport myself.

How well do these perform with the 300 motor they recommend?

Do i need a 2S lipo to get that power setup to perform? Or will my 8 cell Kan type pack be ok?
DsWright is offline Find More Posts by DsWright
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:48 AM
Wind is my sworn enemy
Gothenburg Saeve, Sweden
Joined Sep 2004
86 Posts
DsWight: I have not builded mine yet but it preforms well (seen on videos)with the suggested NiMh.

------------------------------

However we are about to order Himaxx 2025-4200 to use in the dandy. As you can see in the picture it fits the gws mount and you get 3 diffrent gear setups. Easy fit and some possibilities (sp?) to change gear ratios.

What do you guys think of this himaxx motor ?
Last edited by WebWolf; Oct 12, 2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:01 AM
pfm
Patrick Mahoney
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Sep 2002
1,070 Posts
DS, it flies fine on a speed 300 w/ a Kan 8 cell pack.

Web, I have a Himax 2025-4200. It's an ok brushless motor. It's inexpensive and fits GWS gearboxes and it performs well enough but the efficiency of the motor is pretty low for a brushless. I've found that once I switched to outrunners, I pretty much never use my Himax 4200 any more. I like the MPJet "red" outrunner ($60) and PJS 550 ($60) motors. I had to get creative to get my MPJet Red on my Dandy, but it's great to have the plane fly almost silently and not have to worry about the gearbox at all.
pfm is offline Find More Posts by pfm
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:25 PM
Wind is my sworn enemy
Gothenburg Saeve, Sweden
Joined Sep 2004
86 Posts
pfm: that is interesting.. Could you post a pic on your "creative" mount ? I would say that I am creative my self, so maybie I should go with effiency 1st and fitness 2nd.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:55 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
My DS and DS with GT wing flys fine with EPS 300 and 2S1500 pack. Flys a bit better with EPS350 (both 300 and/or 350 in C gearbox with 9070 GWS SF prop. I put the HiMax 2025-4200 and 3S1500 pack in it once to see how it did. Crazy speed and vertical...but really not needed on this hi wing plane.

I like the GT wing (flat=no dihedral and fully symetrical) over the sport wing (flat bottom/ not symetrical and some dihedral). Seems the GT wing flys faster and rolls more axial and innverted easier. Sport wing floats a lot better as more surface.

You can build it stock and it'll fly fine.
Really no advice about the build as MM gives great instructions.

Coo
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Old Oct 12, 2004, 01:08 PM
JustGoFly
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2003
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWolf
1. Should I remove dyhedral on the dandy too ?

2. brushless ! - I want it to be able to do some serious vertical climbing. Is this possible with a brushless system with 2 cells Lipo? Or should I go 3 cells? What brushless system works best with the dandy ?

3. Is there anything we should reinforce while building it ?

Any tips is appriciated

/Calle
Check out my build thread -
http://vindicator.rchomepage.com/Dandy/index.htm

and Vids:
http://www.JustGoFly.com/Vids/

1. Keep Dyhedral - get GT wing for $20 when you're ready for it.
2. 3S gives almost double the thrust. 2S is not much more powerful than a 350C brush motor. So either stay brushed with 2S or go 3S and brushless.
3. I re-enforced some, as you'll see in build thread. It doesn't really need it except for maybe the landing gear, as previously stated. Since I tend to re-enforce everything I fly, maybe 1/8 CF tube replacement for the wooden one in the lead edge of the wing.

Enjoy, my Dandy Sport is alot of fun. I have the GT wing on the bench, and look forward to running it and learning knife edge and some other acrobatics. You can fly the Sport inverted pretty easily - especially on brushless. The plane freaks me out when I switch from a pylon racer or a wing. It just seems to go from speed to zero in mid air and never stalls. OK - well maybe between 0 and 1 mph it could stall But is the easiest plane to land of anything I've flown and flys right where you point it.

Get CG right ! You may need to slip your LiPo's in the front compartment to balance the plane. If you get this right - it will fly like a dream.

Oh - and add lights before covering.

Vinnie
Vindicator! is offline Find More Posts by Vindicator!
Last edited by Vindicator!; Oct 12, 2004 at 01:13 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 01:16 PM
Wind is my sworn enemy
Gothenburg Saeve, Sweden
Joined Sep 2004
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator!
Check out my build thread -
http://vindicator.rchomepage.com/Dandy/index.htm

and Vids:
http://www.JustGoFly.com/Vids/

1. Keep Dyhedral - get GT wing for $20 when you're ready for it.
2. 3S gives almost double the thrust. 2S is not much more powerful than a 350C brush motor. So either stay brushed with 2S or go 3S and brushless.
3. I re-enforced some, as you'll see in build thread. It doesn't really need it except for maybe the landing gear, as previously stated. Since I tend to re-enforce everything I fly, maybe 1/8 CF tube replacement for the wooden one in the lead edge of the wing.

Enjoy, my Dandy Sport is alot of fun. I have the GT wing on the bench, and look forward to running it and learning knife edge and some other acrobatics. You can fly the Sport inverted pretty easily - especially on brushless. The plane freaks me out when I switch from a pylon racer or a wing. It just seems to go from speed to zero in mid air and never stalls. OK - well maybe between 0 and 1 mph it could stall But is the easiest plane to land of anything I've flown and flys right where you point it.

Get CG right ! You may need to slip your LiPo's in the front compartment to balance the plane. If you get this right - it will fly like a dream.

Vinnie
I saw your build thread the other day, some nice pics and tips

Yea I think I will resolder my 2 cells Lipos (to 3 cells) and get two brushless systems one for e-starter and one for the dandy. As I said I want to climb vertically with ease
Old Oct 12, 2004, 01:22 PM
Wind is my sworn enemy
Gothenburg Saeve, Sweden
Joined Sep 2004
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooHead
I put the HiMax 2025-4200 and 3S1500 pack in it once to see how it did. Crazy speed and vertical...but really not needed on this hi wing plane.
Coo
I don't see how you can say that crazy speed aint needed ? Maybie I'm just a speed freak. However great info on how the 2025-4200 preforms in the dandy! Thx
Old Oct 12, 2004, 03:22 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
My dandy sport flew well on the 350c D gearing with 11X8 prop. this was on a 2s 1500 lipo too! flew great in the wind. Doesnt make much headway in 15 mph winds though the AXI 2212-26 would be better with 2s li-pos and yes they are direct drive but I would save up for a 2212-34 as it works great with 3s li-pos.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:28 AM
Wind is my sworn enemy
Gothenburg Saeve, Sweden
Joined Sep 2004
86 Posts
Ok, not sure if we'r going with himaxx 2025-4200 or an AXI engine.. I think the price will be the factor. But I belive we will go with 3 cells.

Trying to figure out which prop and gearing to go with using motocalc... And I don't really understand that program. My prop seems to be stalling all the time :P