HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2002, 08:39 PM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
S&B P-51 SPinner

The S&B website says to use a 1-1/2" spinner (38mm) for the P-51. Who has used which spinner? Obviously I'm looking for one with a good scale profile and not one of the ones that is very pointed.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave Seay is offline Find More Posts by Dave Seay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2002, 09:10 AM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
When I e-mailed Geoff regarding the spinner size for my Spit, he suggested a 1 3/4" (44.4 mm) Dubro. Hobby Lobby have a couple in this size which don't seem to be that pointed (pg. 65 in their catalog).
For a complete scale look, you could turn a wood scale spinner and then vacuform the new part.
mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez
Old Feb 15, 2002, 10:06 AM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
Yeah, I saw those spinners on HL and you are right in that they look fairly correct. I am going to take 3 approaches here...

1. A 4 bladed Vario prop and a HL spinner
2. 6.3x3 Scimitar prop (I have one, the spinner looks pretty close and the numbers look good in MotoCalc.)
3. A 6.5x4 2 blade prop and an HL spinner.

One of these should work. I'd really like to get the Vario to work as it would look great as well!

Dave
Old Feb 15, 2002, 10:33 AM
Fight On!
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
Dave,

How will you finish your 51? Geoff said not to glass them, but I'm really tempted. They're really quite sharp airplanes.

Cheers
Old Feb 15, 2002, 01:01 PM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
The plan to finish it off is not complete yet.

I will probably apply Aluminum Oracover (form HL) on the wings and stabs. I am going to use a test piece of EPP from the kit and apply FG with polyurthane and then paint it and see what it looks like compared to applying Oracover on the fuze. I've use Ultracote on an old 1-26 foam HLG and it came out looking pretty good.

The paint will either be the Model Master's Metalizers or the SnJ system which is aluminum spray laquer applied with an airbrush and the actual powdered aluminum rub onto and buff on top of the paint. I've used this on plastic models and the finish is exellent. I have no idea what it would look like applied to the FG coating.

Dave
Last edited by Dave Seay; Feb 15, 2002 at 01:03 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 08:21 AM
Fight On!
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
When I lived in Florida, there was a guy at the IPMS chapter that would work with aluminum foil to obtain his natural aluminum finishes on his models. The results were quite spectacular. If I remember right, he would boil egg shells, then submerge the foil in the egg shells and water until he obtained the sheen he wanted and finally he would proceed to burnish all these discolored and colored aluminum strips on his models. Sort of like working Oracover on our flying models.

The big difference I see is that plastic models have a super smooth surface as compared to S&B EPP fuselage. This technique could work if you would glass the surface of the model.

Cheers
Old Feb 16, 2002, 09:03 AM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
That's the plan. I'll glass a test piece and try both Oracover and aluminum foil and see which looks better and more durable.

Dave
Old Feb 16, 2002, 11:38 AM
Fight On!
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
What I like about e-flight is that a lot of our plastic model skills, tools and materials can be used on our airplanes. Keep me posted on your glassing technique. I still have to finish a PJC before I tackle the Spit. If the 51 and the Spit fly like the 163, we've got winners!!!

Cheers