HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2002, 07:25 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
kc bug bites the dust ouch!

well blue angel#7 almost made it to it's first birthday. took it out for a test flight before leaving for mwe. nice launch two very fast laps, and then the pilot ejected. full throttle roll 90 deg and pulling alot of g's when the rt wing departed. unfortunately we don't have video. it was a tv spectacular!!!. time for a replacement...gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2002, 07:33 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,572 Posts
Re: kc bug bites the dust ouch!

Quote:
Originally posted by gregg f
well blue angel#7 almost made it to it's first birthday. took it out for a test flight before leaving for mwe. nice launch two very fast laps, and then the pilot ejected. full throttle roll 90 deg and pulling alot of g's when the rt wing departed. unfortunately we don't have video. it was a tv spectacular!!!. time for a replacement...gregg
WAAAAH!

Was it... pilot error... or a "radio glitch?"

I hope the expensive parts survived okay.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Feb 14, 2002, 07:40 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
No, not pilot error. The crew chief should have checked a little closer at the root joins. One wing panel came
right off in a nicely banked turn. It looked like the real thing at an airshow. Gregg's description is perfect.
Motor and fan survived.
Steve
Old Feb 14, 2002, 08:13 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,899 Posts
Ouch!

The designers at KCJET Inc. regets the incident and will work closely with the ZOOM ZOOM Corp., the NTSB, and AMA to find out what happened to prevent another such incident.

Sorry to hear that Gregg. A complete wing panel loss in flight is unrecoverable in an R/C model.....the Bug man did good to eject when he did

Have you had any heavy landings recently, was the panel recently reglued? Just curious....
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Feb 14, 2002, 08:21 PM
H301 Libelle Pilot
Oceanside, California
Joined Sep 2000
1,249 Posts
I hate it when that happens.
Dr. Jet is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Jet
Old Feb 14, 2002, 08:23 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Cox
Ouch!

The designers at KCJET Inc. regets the incident and will work closely with the ZOOM ZOOM Corp., the NTSB, and AMA to find out what happened to prevent another such incident.

Sorry to hear that Gregg. A complete wing panel loss in flight is unrecoverable in an R/C model.....the Bug man did good to eject when he did

Have you had any heavy landings recently, was the panel recently reglued? Just curious....
Hi Kevin: i thought about that, and remembered the only unsuccessful launch i had was the first flight in arizona. not enough tension and she spanked the ground abit. found a few cracks in the fuse and repaired them that night in the hotel. i didn't notice any wing flex. doing a post crash autopsy, i found that the wing departed along with the fuse sheeting that it was glued to. so to answer your question. yes........gregg
Old Feb 14, 2002, 08:24 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Dr.Jet: the only thing missing were the flames.........gregg
see ya tomorrow
Old Feb 14, 2002, 08:25 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Oh hey if you want any video of wings ripping of or a demonstraton Ill be happy to supply some of the file footage I have,,,,,, of corse all of mine have been caused by lightning strikes,,,,,,,,,,, errr uhh thats me hitting the ground like lightning
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Feb 14, 2002, 08:33 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Ouch Sorry to hear that Gregg! I was looking forward to having a KC Bug reunion tomorrow... If you bring your flatbed catapult along perhaps I'll let you rip a wing off - ehm I mean fly mine.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Feb 14, 2002, 10:52 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
Gregg,

Sorry about your plane. I was looking forward to seeing one fly at MWE. As many of them as there are, I've still managed to never see one fly.

Steve C
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Feb 14, 2002, 11:45 PM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts
ouch!

Gregg
Sorry to here about the loss of the bug, Keep the Faith. I'll still give you a shot at the Big Bug "Blue Angels #3 at Arizona Jets in Nov. if the fans ever get here. have a great time a MWE.

Joe
uncljoe is offline Find More Posts by uncljoe
Old Feb 14, 2002, 11:50 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Herb
Ouch Sorry to hear that Gregg! I was looking forward to having a KC Bug reunion tomorrow... If you bring your flatbed catapult along perhaps I'll let you rip a wing off - ehm I mean fly mine.
thanks Herb , i'll bring it for the mig. my controller didn't show so i'll see if that Kapton tape lives up to it's spec's. 60a off the charger and expecting short flights.

steve c: at least Herb will have his to shred some air, the jepe sounds great. looking forward to seeing that one. i want one BAD......gregg
Old Feb 15, 2002, 07:50 AM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
You people realy crack me up

I feel sorry for you loss. Another Bug has rejoined the dust.

My gues is it won't be reapareble, the secundary explosion (hitting the ground) should have completely smashed the plane.

Or are you gone tweek it?
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Feb 15, 2002, 09:45 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kimble_Schmitz
You people realy crack me up
My gues is it won't be reapareble, the secundary explosion (hitting the ground) should have completely smashed the plane.

Or are you gone tweek it?
kimble: you are correct, secondary explosion did it in.....gregg
Old Feb 24, 2002, 06:17 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,899 Posts
The Damage Control Engineers have been working on the incident and have gone as far to wreck an F/A-18B. The right wing was stressed at the fuselage joint and it failed (not in flight..more on that later). They have come up with an approved repair procedure that is listed below.

1. If it is a glossy model apply a bit of wax to the finish.
2. Trial fit the wing panel and add or remove material if needed.
3. Glue with CA and/or epoxy.
4. Cut or drill hole(s) on the bottom of the fuselage near the side of the damaged wing.
5. Apply masking tape to the repaired seam(s), this keeps the glue from running wild.
6. Using Elmer's PROBOND (expanding polyurethane glue) squirt some glue inside the fuselage, through the holes.
7. Use a small stick spread the glue, as best as you can, try to cover the repaired area and the fuselage and former joints.
8. Stand the model up as if doing a knife edge pass and allow it to dry (24hrs).
9. Check flex strength, if still weak add more glue.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox