SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2002, 07:16 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
GWS EDF Jet Trainer flies!

Well guys, Gregg launched it and guess what happened, it flew. I had a little too much rudder control but it
was easy to control anyway. Pitch was good and gaining altitude was no problem. I only flew it for about 3
mins. or so, but I could have flown at full power for over 5 it would seem. Can fly on reduced throttle and
lands on a dim. Once power is completely shut down she continues to glide with no sudden drop in
airspeed. Drag is low. With the F-86, I find I have to land on a little power. No complaints here, she was
perfect. Fast for a parkflyer, but it can turn so tight you'd have no problem flying in a small park. Gregg wants
one with ailerons, will see. If I kit this you will have the option.
Can't wait to fly it again, what a kick in the pants!
Steve Neill
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2002, 07:22 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
If you haven't seen the the construction details of this plane, look at the early thread in this forum. There pictures that show more details.
I want to thank Dan Savage for his once again accurate location of the CG. Right on the money Dan! One more time!
Steve
Old Feb 15, 2002, 12:29 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steve neill
...I want to thank Dan Savage for his once again accurate location of the CG. Right on the money Dan! One more time!
You're welcome.

Glad to hear it. Congratulations on the successful first flight.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Feb 15, 2002, 09:05 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Thanks Dan. It just took to the air like it flew before. On the kit version I'm going to put a degree of positive in the wing. I tried 1 1/2 on the tail of the first one and it workrd just fine. It flew real level and straight. I kept the under camber very slight, which improved it's top end speed.
Thanks again Dan for all your help!
Steve
Old Feb 16, 2002, 03:43 AM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Please do let us, ok at least let ME know when this is available in kit form! I was just going to ask for suggestions for a small easy to build first EDF.

Thanks a ton for that fine looking little bird!

Cheers,
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Last edited by Twmaster; Feb 16, 2002 at 03:46 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 03:55 AM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Working on the kits now and should ship to EAM later next week. Twmaster, I'm glad you like it and yes it's
a needed thing in the hobby for those who want to make the jump from lite stick to something with a little
more bit, but not too much. But even the experts would love flying one of these around there local park. This
plane will build in one night, paint it the next. I enjoyed flying it very much and can't wait to do it again next
week. I'll be posting video next week.
Steve
Old Feb 16, 2002, 04:14 AM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Have you tried that 1000Mah Li-ion battery from Ikarus?

It's only 90 grams and can handle 6 amps with ease or 10 amps for a short time.

Here is a link; Li-ion
They also have a 2000Mah pack that's only 140 grams.
But you can't charge these packs that fast. You would be wayting a long time charging and not flying.

I think that the new Schulze chargers and also the Robbe Infinity charger can charge these packs. But you should only charge them at 1 amp. They get very hot if you charge them eny faster.
Atleast that's what those Micro Heli blokes say.

If you have problems reading German. Wait until they refresh the English page they have. It should come up soon.

Oooh i forgot to say......thank god for "EDIT",
Those packs put out something like 10 volts. I do not know what happens when you put that onto the EDF 50 unit with the stock motor. Maby it would burn up as it draws to much current. You can always buy another motor from EFAN rated at a higher voltage.

Good luck.
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Last edited by Kimble_Schmitz; Feb 16, 2002 at 04:20 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 05:45 AM
steve neill
n/a Posts
No Kimble, I haven't. I'm using 8 270 nimh packs. Good for a little over 5 min at full throttle. I will look into your battery suggestion. Thanks for the Tip. As it is I think I'm pushing it a bit on 8 cells, but so far so good. This little plane performs well on the 8 cells. Best GWS EDF flyer yet.
Steve
Old Feb 16, 2002, 07:57 AM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Okay Steve,

There you go, getting me all excited about an EDF again.

Okay, I'll bite once more. I WANT one!

Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Feb 16, 2002, 08:21 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Dennis,
Thank you. Don't worry, it's really happening this time. Cutting kits right now and they will be shipped to EAM next week, instructions and all.
Glad you like the little bird!
Steve
Old Feb 17, 2002, 10:30 PM
Jimfrisky
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Jan 2001
432 Posts
EDF fantrainer

Cute as a Bugs Ear got to have one ! jimfrisky
JIMFRISKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMFRISKY
Old Feb 17, 2002, 10:33 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Thanks, they're on the way. My shop is nee deep in kit parts.
Steve
Old Feb 17, 2002, 11:16 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
Steve, what kind of building is involved with this kit? It looks great and I'm interested in maybe getting one. BTW, what ever happened to those little German Heinkels, did they ever make it to kit form?
AndrewK is offline Find More Posts by AndrewK
Old Feb 18, 2002, 02:54 AM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Adrew,
About one evening, paint it the next day. If you go to this link in Parkflyers you'll see some of the construction. It's an easy one. Heinkels, one never did fly that well and the P 1080 is waiting on an engine. Thanks Adrew,
Steve
Here's the link

http://216.40.226.212/~admin2/forums...threadid=28178
Old Feb 18, 2002, 06:45 AM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,026 Posts
Steve,

Any idea how much the kit will retail for??

Jeremy..
Jeremy_D is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy_D