HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2001, 10:28 PM
El Paso, Texas, USA
Joined May 2001
42 Posts
Top Speed-- Electric Vs Glow

Hi Guys,

I have not seen a pylon 400 fly....so I am wondering if it would be comparable to a small glow 15 powered combat plane (ferroplane). The builder of the Ferroplane claims 90 mph in level flight. I have been flying the plane, but no one knows what the actual speed really is.

Basically will a pylon 400 give the same speed thrills????? What would the recommedation for a fast pylon electric be?

Thanks
FlyerGirl is offline Find More Posts by FlyerGirl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2001, 10:40 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Assuming you have the flying skills to match, the Stinger is the hottest pylon model going.

The Sokol is a good compromise. With a brushless motor, it will skoot.. (flies nicely on a speed 400 also).
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 09, 2001, 10:52 PM
El Paso, Texas, USA
Joined May 2001
42 Posts
Thanks Andy,

Who makes the Stinger????

FlyerGirl is offline Find More Posts by FlyerGirl
Old Jun 10, 2001, 04:46 AM
F5D father
Vantaa, Finland
Joined Mar 2001
441 Posts
Stingers are made in Russia by Sergey who sells them via internet. We get them by 10 to 12 pieces a time and they are always sold out. This is thestuff that LHS people usually donīt carry or even know about. One address is www.fly.to/flying_solutions. There is also a bigger Stinger , the F5B model...looks like a dream. The Stinger is an incredible piece of high-tech work. get one! tuomas
Tuomas Pietinen is offline Find More Posts by Tuomas Pietinen
Old Jun 10, 2001, 04:48 AM
F5D father
Vantaa, Finland
Joined Mar 2001
441 Posts
leave the www off and the address will work. http://fly.to/flying_solutions
Tuomas Pietinen is offline Find More Posts by Tuomas Pietinen
Old Jun 10, 2001, 07:02 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
icare sailplanes has them every now and then too.. http://www2.jonction.net/~icare/icare.htm
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 10, 2001, 06:02 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
You could try Tom Copp at http://f3x.com/
He lists them on his website along with some nice pictures.
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Jun 12, 2001, 02:44 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScotY:
You could try Tom Copp at http://f3x.com/
He lists them on his website along with some nice pictures.
Tom has a bunch in stock. He's wondering how he's gonna get rid of them all We need more Stinger pilots. Oh, and his Stingers come with a hardware package with all nuts, bolts, and even G-10 material for the elevator horn.

[This message has been edited by Troy (edited 06-12-2001).]
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2001, 01:46 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Haven't purchased anything from Tom Copp...yet. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy, kind of the glider guy's equivalent of Kirk from New Creations. He won't give you bum info and may even steer you away from one of his nice, shiny molded airplane if he feels there is something better out there for you. I WILL do business with him some day!
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Jun 12, 2001, 02:58 PM
Spritual Pilot
Silicon Valley, CA
Joined May 2001
677 Posts
I haven't purchase anything from Toms Copp either and haven't talked with them about the exact S/H/I cost. However, I am just wondering wether $40 for S/H/I is reasonable. I think it is too much compared with other on-line shops. I haven't paid more than $10 for S/H. My experience on USPS is that shipping is about $3.45 and insurance is proablably around $1.00 for the weight of Stinger 400. So, handling fee is about $35 ? Or, I am reading wrong price list on their web site ?

JN
jnyoun is offline Find More Posts by jnyoun
Old Jun 12, 2001, 03:09 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
The S/H from F3X.com on the stinger is $15.00, not $40.00 like for the big sailplanes. I don't know how reasonable that price is, but it's pretty standard. ICARE charges $12.00 from Canada.
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Jun 12, 2001, 03:14 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
John Bergsmith had his new "VIP Racer" from NSP at our clubmeet last night. I hope he chips in with the full details, my photo notes are at home. He has a Kontronics brushless, size of a S400 type, on 7 x 600AE and a 5" CAM prop - 5 x 5" I think.

Usual aileron/elevator deal on 400 racer-ish things,he reckoned it is a tad heavier, but more durable, than a full blown S400 racer. Anyway, he gets a cop buddy to clock it with a radar gun!

Turned out to be a trick to get it to register on the radar gun - it's all composite but the motor and battery, not much of a target.

When they got it, speed was in the upper 90's from a level flight pass and 102MPH off a dive into level just before the speed trap area.

A few years ago, I'd have been scrambling to get one. Not sure I could keep up now.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 31, 2006, 03:06 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
deleted
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old May 31, 2006, 06:51 AM
Edmonds Wa. (Seattle)
Joined Nov 2003
3,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGirl
Hi Guys,

I have not seen a pylon 400 fly....so I am wondering if it would be comparable to a small glow 15 powered combat plane (ferroplane). The builder of the Ferroplane claims 90 mph in level flight. I have been flying the plane, but no one knows what the actual speed really is.

Basically will a pylon 400 give the same speed thrills????? What would the recommedation for a fast pylon electric be?

Thanks

If you looking for speed it will be hard to beat a Littlescreamer powered Micro Pylon racer. 147mph old version and we have hit over 165mph so far with the new one. here is a video HERE .

Scott
Littlescreamers is offline Find More Posts by Littlescreamers
Old May 31, 2006, 08:13 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlescreamers
If you looking for speed it will be hard to beat a Littlescreamer powered Micro Pylon racer. 147mph old version and we have hit over 165mph so far with the new one. here is a video HERE .

Scott
And I bet next week you will be well over 200mph

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu