HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2004, 03:18 AM
Do U Kno Who's Yur Daddy?
Don't let everybody know, otherwise Im dead D/FWTx
Joined Dec 2002
623 Posts
Sneak Peak At NEW 3D Plane from Dick Rankin

Just a quick sneak look at a new plane Rankin Productions should be releasing soon. Just need to hook up some pull pull and get him over to video some extreme flying. Ailerons are 30% of the wing, with a 40" W.S. It should be much more of a 3D plane than his Proud Bird (nearly world famous).....but we shall see. You might want to get in line for one of these. I hear he is getting a rather large shipment of colored foam in any day, and should be able to kit up a few shortly. Will try to post a video and flight report, as weather permits....well actually, weather wont matter, will still go fly in the rain!
thechosen1one is offline Find More Posts by thechosen1one
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:43 PM
Joined Dec 2002
623 Posts
Well, weather didn't cooperate....but didn't stop us. All I can say is it is unbelievable!!! Thing hovers hands off in the rain with a 10-15mph wind. INCREDIBLE. The plane is stable as a rock. Loops, knife edge....will do it all with the greatest of ease. Dick will post some video's in the morning. Will let him put it in his own words. Guess I might weigh it and get some more specs. By the way Dick, whats it called????????
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:45 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Looks pretty familiar. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142259 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_42.../tm.htm#425884
besides the size and shocky type fuselage.

Everybody abandonded the design after they learned how to hover, and went on to more advanced planes, like insane foamies, shockflyers Etc. Good luck with it, hope they sell like hot cakes.

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:51 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Oh yeah, you should call it the Hovering Cobra.
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:13 AM
Joined Dec 2002
623 Posts
You are a "smart " guy. You know, they all look alike in shape or form, and we call them planes.That being said, I would like to thank the Wright brothers for their dream, for which none of this would be possible without! Kind of like calling all flying wings "zagi's", which I would like to thank the folks at Trick r/c (Jerry&everybody) that all have so quickly COPIED!Thanks for your input though, but was leaving that up to Mr. Rankin .Need to turn the heat up, room temperature is too low in mesa
Last edited by thechosen1one; Oct 11, 2004 at 11:11 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 01:27 PM
It Is All Fun
Arlington, Texas
Joined Mar 2003
423 Posts
Credits are due Dylan. The Hovering Cobra made a good impression on some of us. It was a great hovering plane. You did good bud, that is why we wanted to start with that, and just make a few simple mods like shocking it, scale up to 40" WS, increase alerons to 30% of wing, and counter balance the elevator and increase the size a little.
I like the name myself. How about Hovering Cobra II ?

Here are some phone videos clips http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/guest/...hareName=album

It's all fun!

Dick Rankin
Dick Rankin is offline Find More Posts by Dick Rankin