HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2004, 08:28 PM
Make something. Anything!
Syracuse Hancock, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
My New Homier 7"x12" Mini Lathe

Homier traveling tool show (http://www.homier.com) came to town today and I finally got a chance to buy a mini metal lathe. I have been wanting this lathe for a few years but didn't have the $$$ until now. I want to make brushless motor bells among other things.

For those not familiar with the lathe, it is made in China by a company called Seig. Seig makes many different lathes under several names. The same lathe is sold by Harbor Freight, Grizzly, Micro Mark and Cummins. You have to read the descriptions carefully because there are several variations in size and in equipment supplied. Harbor Freight sells a 7"x10" lathe for $399, Grizzly sells a 7x12" lathe for $495, Micro Mark sells a 7"x14" lathe for $575, Cummins sells the 7"x12" lathe for $399 and Homier sells the 7"x12" lathe for $299.

I have a local Harbor freight store in my town and they can sometimes match the prices of other vendors. In this case since the lathe in question was larger than the one the store offered I didn't bother going to the local store.

Anyway I got to the Homier sale and they had two lathes left and a few milling machines. Unfortuneately, neither Homier or Harbor Freight carry much in the way of tooling for these lathes. Expect to make a purchase from Enco before you can get started.

Anyway, here is a picture of the lathe on the hand truck, fresh off the tail gate of my van. This is a two man job. The lathe weights about 90 pounds.
bgriggs is offline Find More Posts by bgriggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2004, 08:34 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
I cut the metal straps loose and removed the side braces from the box. I pryed the plywood top off the box and opened the box.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 08:39 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
Inside the box, seated in the styrofoam were several tools, wrenched and knobs. You should take these out now and seal the box up. Trust me you will see why shortly.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 08:41 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
I removed the styrofoam top and got my first glimpse at my new toy.
Last edited by bgriggs; Oct 09, 2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 09:02 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
I tried to take the lathe from the styrofoam bed. No matter how I strained O couldn't lift the lathe free from the box. I even had my daughter try pushing on the box while I pulled the lathe.

Frustrating. I rested for a moment and looked at things again. Guess what????

The lathe was screwed to the plywood base. The screws were socket head, metric screws. None of my wrenches would fit them. Guess where the wrench was? In the bag of tools inside the box.

I closed the box back up and tilted the handtruck up at an angle. Then I removed the socket head screws.

I really should clean those wheels.
Last edited by bgriggs; Oct 09, 2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 09:29 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
The lathe is covered with a sticky, greasy, red grease to protect the metal from corrosion while it is being shipped over on the boat. All of this grease has to be removed or you would never want to touch the lathe, let alone make anything with it.

The best way to remove the grease is with Kerosene. However Kerosene is very flammable (and it stinks). I prefer to use WD-40 to remove the gunk. I bought some disposeable chip brushes and some shop paper towels and got to work.

You have to disassemble several parts to do a good job of cleaning the machine. This is ok because it teaches you how things go together. I started with the tool post, for no particular reason. The lathe comes with a 4 tool quick change tool post standard. I removed all the bit screws and cleaned each one (8). Then I removed the tool post and cleaned it top and bottom.
Last edited by bgriggs; Oct 09, 2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 09:37 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
Next I cleaned the cross slide. In hindsight, it would have been nice to put down some newspaper to catche the spilled WD-40 .
Old Oct 09, 2004, 09:40 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
The next thing to clean was the compound slide and all the screw bolt heads. This process seems never ending.
Last edited by bgriggs; Oct 09, 2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 09:57 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
I loosened the tail post and slid it off the bed for easier cleaning.

This is my first lathe , but I have been playing with a friends lathe for about a year. I didn't realize before I began using his lathe how important it was that everything stay clean and well oiled. If you take good care of the tool it will last a lifetime.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 10:07 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
Next I started cleaning the 3 jaw chuck. First removed the 3 jaws from the chuck. To remove the jaws you use the chuck wrench to open the jaws all the way. The jaws will then become free to move. You have to be careful not to drop the jaws on the lathe ways. Put a towel across the ways during this step.

That's all for now. I will post more if there is any interest. Perhaps an explanation of my first project with the lathe.

Bill
Last edited by bgriggs; Oct 09, 2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 10:25 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Hey Bill,
Yep, there is interest Keep posting. This is a good story about this fascinating tool. I don't have one BTW but always wanted one I guess I'll have one through your eyes.
-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:42 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByMike
Hey Bill,
Yep, there is interest Keep posting. This is a good story about this fascinating tool. I don't have one BTW but always wanted one I guess I'll have one through your eyes.
-Mike
Thanks Mike,

Sometimes I wonder if anyone reads this stuff. I just thought I would do this thread because there aren't many resources like this. For instance knowing you had to unscrew the lathe from the pallet before you opened the box would have been a big help.

Bill
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:54 AM
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
You will like the little lathe! I have had the same basic lathe for over 5 years.There is so much info on the web for these little wonders,you will have a blast!
The best things I have done is to make wipers,a cover for the carriage gears,and add a quick release to the tailstock.some have been CNC'd
stirlingnut is offline Find More Posts by stirlingnut
Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:31 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirlingnut
You will like the little lathe! I have had the same basic lathe for over 5 years.There is so much info on the web for these little wonders,you will have a blast!
The best things I have done is to make wipers,a cover for the carriage gears,and add a quick release to the tailstock.some have been CNC'd
I would be interested in hearing about the quick release tailstock modification. Do you have any pictures?

Bill
Old Oct 10, 2004, 08:13 PM
It's just PLANE silly!
Ontario
Joined Jan 2002
915 Posts
Looks good. Those are nice pants to be wearing while cleaning the gunk off your lathe. I see they still look clean. I woulda ruined them...

I too did the quick release tail stock. I will get a pic if I can...

Eric
balsaman is offline Find More Posts by balsaman