SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2004, 07:24 PM
Kahn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2004
217 Posts
Melbourne city showcase part I

With all that good AP work being done in Sydney, and with some decent weather finally happening further south, I have decided to show the world another great Australian City, famous for it's unique football code and great lifestyles.

On the theme of football, I'll kick off this series with the "Telstra Dome" football park, right on the edge of the city. Unfortunately, today the roof was closed (stay tuned for an open roof shot when the opportunity arises). In the background is the "Docklands" precinct and further, the new Bolte Bridge.

Next stop is another great Melbourne icon, the "Old Exhibition Building", the original home of the Australian Parliment while the Nation's Capital was under construction. Surrounds are the Victoria Gardens.

The last pic in this first series is part of Melbourne City, seen from the north. The highest building is the "Rialto Tower", something like 70 stories, and is the tallest in Melbourne. Not the best city shot, but at least a start.

The next outing is planned for the Yarra River with more city icons. Stay tuned.

Kahn
kahnxx is offline Find More Posts by kahnxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2004, 10:21 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,255 Posts
That second shot is excellent, Kahn... What is your set-up?... Pardon if you've posted it before...

Kevin
wattnoise is online now Find More Posts by wattnoise
Old Oct 10, 2004, 05:06 AM
Kahn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2004
217 Posts
My setup is very basic:

- FFF unifuse with a single sheet FFF airfoil stright wing.
- CD-ROM GB 17 turn with Graupner 6.5X4 prop
- E-TEC 3S 1200 mAHr Li-Po, good for 20 minutes AP
- AIPTEK Mega Pen Cam 1.3 MP with RC-CAM mod
- AUW approx 350g, very slow, but a bit heavy with the camera on board.

I'm working on a new one which will have better wind penetration (airfoil) but will slow down better (2 wing servos for flapperons). Stay tuned.

Kahn
Old Oct 10, 2004, 05:12 AM
err...see where it went?
Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
605 Posts
go the aussies!

nice pics
crooser is offline Find More Posts by crooser
Old Oct 10, 2004, 07:24 AM
Flying 3 mistakes high
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,522 Posts
Some really nice pics....where did you take off and land near the docklands? Bet you got some curious looks...
GlennS
GlennS is offline Find More Posts by GlennS
Old Oct 10, 2004, 09:54 PM
Kahn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2004
217 Posts
GlennS

I took the shots at 7:30AM Sunday, so the city was basically deserted. I threw the plane off the Latrobe St extension into docklands, over the Spencer St rail lines. Landed on the road in between traffic, dodging the overhead tram electric cables, and avoiding conflict with an angry magpie who took offence to it's presence. This is were the value of a smaller size, slower plane becomes apparent - without an undercarraige, the roll-out is nice and short too.

Cheers

Kahn