Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 14, 2002, 08:44 AM
zen pilot
milwaukee WI USA
Joined Jun 2000
159 Posts
autogyros , anyone fly one?

i'm looking for info or a free plan for a electric autogyro , also if you fly one is it something an average pilot could handle ok , i do fly some fast sport type planes but no choppers , or do'nt that matter much?or is it something so different that you need to learn new skills? bruce
bronco is offline Find More Posts by bronco
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2002, 09:02 AM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
One of the local club members flew them on a number of occasions. His were .35 IC powered models. He used basic fixed wing skills to pilot them and didn't have any control problems.

The only factor that seemed to make life easier was sufficient rotor speed on takeoff. It was somewhat hard to attain this speed taxiing on grass and keep the craft tracking correctly on the bumpy surface.

A slight headwind (5+mph) with a manual prespin of the rotor gave takeoff in less than 5 feet. Excellent "engine out" performance as well as "short field" landing performance.

Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Feb 14, 2002, 04:06 PM
Joined Jan 1999
419 Posts
Look in the E-Zone archives for Jim Dall's review of the Gyro Bee. This is a gyro-copter conversion of the Lazy Bee (the conversion package is from Autogyro Company of Arizona). It apparently takes a different style of flying, but that makes it all the more interesting. I was talking with the Autogyro Company folks about a smaller (speed 400 or 480 gyro), and they seemed to be working hard on it for awhile, but I haven't heard anything for awhile. See http://www.autogyro-rc.com/ for more information on the Autogyro Company of Arizona.

Steve
Steven Horney is offline Find More Posts by Steven Horney