HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2001, 11:32 AM
Haverhill, MA
Joined Jul 2000
303 Posts
Now I know what you guys are talking about

Test flight on the Simple 400 with the new foam fuse last night. Very fast. This is more like it. The plane got small real fast and I almost lost it once from disorientation. The new prop (5.4x5.4 I think) is much more efficient than the 6x3 folder. It is also very quiet. There were some glow guys flying near me and I couldn't hear the 400 at all. Sure impressed them on a low flyby. I cut up a Tupperware container to use the plastic as a fuse doubler on the forward half of the fuse. This fuse won't shatter like the balsa one.
ErnieR is offline Find More Posts by ErnieR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2001, 05:40 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
Ernie:

How much does it weigh with the foam fuse?

You got any pics?
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs
Old Jun 07, 2001, 08:44 AM
Haverhill, MA
Joined Jul 2000
303 Posts
Weight is 18 ounces. This is less than when I had the balsa fuse because I left out the rudder servo and linkage. I have seen people here claim to be flying this plane at 15 and 16 ounces. It must certainly fly better at these weights but I am unable to get it this light.
I do have a digital camera and can take some pictures but I don't have a web page to post them on. Photopoint charges now so I don't want to have to pay for that. Do you know somewhere else to post the pictures to? If so , I'll put up some pictures.
Old Jun 07, 2001, 09:27 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,336 Posts
There are a few places that host free webpages. Angelfire comes to mind here. Many online services give you free webspace with your paid service, check with your ISP.
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 07, 2001, 04:36 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
Ernie:

I have made some cool pink foam fuselages before I owned the Simple 400. Unfortunately I used no tape.
I might just try again.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by poobs (edited 06-07-2001).]
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs
Old Jun 08, 2001, 10:54 AM
Haverhill, MA
Joined Jul 2000
303 Posts
Poobs-
Definitely try it again. I get a $10 piece of 2" thick 2'x8' pink foam from Home Depot and that makes many fuselages and several sets of wings. The colored tape only costs $5 a roll. I even use this method on some glow planes and they fly just fine.
I just went to the Angelfire pages to get a web page there but I couldn't get it to work right. I did alright on the sign-up page but on the next page where you have to pick your URL name it just kept telling me the name was already in use no matter what name I put in. I must have tried at least 50 different names so there's something funky going on there. I'll try it again from home. Maybe the firewall here at work is causing problems.
Old Jun 08, 2001, 11:27 AM
Balsa Kamikaze
Germany, NRW
Joined Feb 2001
536 Posts
ErnieR, go to http://www.freeyellow.com . I have two accounts with them, they'll give you 50Meg of free webspace via FTP upload. Very fast and reliable.

_Jens
Jensst is offline Find More Posts by Jensst