SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2004, 01:48 AM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,913 Posts
Another network news department, Another memo scandal

http://www.drudgereport.com/mh.htm

If this proves to be true (big if right now), I predict that this is going to explode onto the press over the next 1-4 days.

The liberal media are playing no holds barred at the expense of their ethics and credibility.

I'll be laughing as they go down in flames as the new media gladly steps up to take their place. Cable news, radio, and the Internet were already taking their toll. This sort of scandal will only accelerate it.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Oct 09, 2004, 02:00 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
I don't think so. Just hold it up next to published directives from Fox execs, and it looks mild. Besides, I think they have the right to assess the campaigns and question tactics, and use the tactics to make judgements about what to emphasize.

In other words, the campaigns are different, and dispensing information in different ways. It seems to me to be a call to the staff to not allow the Bush campaign to use ABC as an outlet for disinformation. Remember the White House has the ability to play the media through it's official status, releasing info throughout the government, with direct lines to media. Such as, having people leak info to reporters, issuing statements from cabinet level departments, etc. This skews the playing field. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Oct 09, 2004, 06:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
And the disinformation that the Kerry camp puts out is different in some way? Oh come on now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
I don't think so. Just hold it up next to published directives from Fox execs, and it looks mild. Besides, I think they have the right to assess the campaigns and question tactics, and use the tactics to make judgements about what to emphasize.

In other words, the campaigns are different, and dispensing information in different ways. It seems to me to be a call to the staff to not allow the Bush campaign to use ABC as an outlet for disinformation. Remember the White House has the ability to play the media through it's official status, releasing info throughout the government, with direct lines to media. Such as, having people leak info to reporters, issuing statements from cabinet level departments, etc. This skews the playing field. tt
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 09, 2004, 06:51 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
The Kerry Kamp is a campaign organization. The Busch campaign machine _is_ Busch administration which is the executive branch of our government. GDubba's been using the office of president as campaigning for a while now.

What is not to understand about ethics/credibility?

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Oct 09, 2004, 08:25 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
I don't think some of you guys understand (well, most of you do ) the significance of what's said in the memo.

A central point of the memo is:

"Halperin (states) how "Kerry distorts, takes out of context, and mistakes all the time, but these are not central to his efforts to win."

In a nutshell, what the CBS memo states is that Kerry should be allowed to lie, distort, and make mistakes without ANY of the media calling him on it.

Then:

But Halperin claims that Bush is hoping to "win the election by destroying Senator Kerry at least partly through distortions."

Which means simply that if BUSH points out Kerry's lies, distortions and mistakes, then the press is supposed to come to Kerry's aid and attack Bush for doing so, as well as to EXAGERRATE any slip-up on Bush's part in order to make it bigger than it is.

This incident is about the mainstream press intentionally manipulating information in order to change the outcome of an election, or more generally, it's about the mainstream press DECIDING what WE THE PEOPLE are supposed to think and how we are supposed to act based on what THEY decide we should know.

Yet, some act as if this is just election year politics on the part of the campaigns, and that's pretty scary.

The people who can't understand the importance of this memo specifically with regard to the responsiblity of the press (totally independant of this election) are embarrassing themselves greatly and putting the future of this country at risk.

HIghflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Last edited by Highflight; Oct 09, 2004 at 08:56 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 09:04 AM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
You are so blinded by partisan sentiments you cannot see the point.

All lies or mistatements are not created equal. Bush's distortions are central to his campaign, Kerry's are more tangential.

The Republican manta: is spin and lies, lies and spin, do you want some spin to go with those lies? We have a special this week on lies. Buy our lies and get spin free. Wait, we have a new product, called Smear. Smear is a really big lie, served with extra portions of the regular lies and spin. I'm George W. Bush and I approved this message. And on and on.

Kerry lies and spins too. But nothing like the scale and deliberateness of the Bush campaign. The memo points this out.
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Last edited by 4 Scale; Oct 09, 2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 09:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Wow, restate what the memo says. My god, I can't believe how far gone the Bush haters are... distortions and lies are distrotions and lies whichever side they come from, they both do harm to the process and the country. The media picking sides like this is 100% wrong. I just don't understand how so many eyes can be held closed as long as the news works against Bush.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Smith

All lies or mistatements are not created equal. Bush's distortions are central to his campaign, Kerry's are more tangential.

The Republican manta: is spin and lies, lies and spin, do you want some spin to go with those lies? We have a special this week on lies. Buy our lies and get spin free. Wait, we have a new product, called Smear. Smear is a really big lie, served with extra portions of the regular lies and spin. I'm George W. Bush and I approved this message. And on and on.

Kerry lies and spins too. But nothing like the scale and deliberateness of the Bush campaign. The memo points this out.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 09:34 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
In the debate last night alone, Bush asserted:

The media is completely wrong and Iraq is doing just fine.
He has a really good record on the environment.
The recession, not his tax cuts, contributed to the deficit.
The U.S. military is not stretched.
The only errors he has made are in some appointments.

Any credible journalist I know would say "these are at best big distortions and at worst outright deception".

Please provide comparable Kerry distortions/lies from the debate, or stop whining about how the media is so unfair to little george.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 09:42 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
As I said earlier, GDubba has to be thinking in a parallel universe. Not a good grasp on reality.

--Bill
Old Oct 09, 2004, 09:46 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Look at the facts on the debate.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6210791/

Kerry got some things wrong, so did Bush. Add 'em up, and assign a weight to them. You'll find Bush tells more and bigger lies.

Note the media doesn't even bother to point out Bush's lies/spin on some of the topics I mentioned, it's old news.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 11:36 AM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,861 Posts
Quote:

Oh really?

Another words, its ok for CBS to push forged documents. And it now appears ABC is guilty too?

Another words, if your left leaning, its perfectly ok lie, becuase its for the better good?

This cracks me up.
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2004, 11:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Most of what you put up there is known as 'opinion'... there are no hard facts on much of it... Take a look here and see some of what both sides did... you'll get to see more of Bush's BS, but you'll also see Kerry isn't the perfect boy you all think he is, and are unwilling to admit, EVER.

http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx@docID=275.html

Paul

Quote:
In the debate last night alone, Bush asserted:

Any credible journalist I know would say "these are at best big distortions and at worst outright deception".

Please provide comparable Kerry distortions/lies from the debate, or stop whining about how the media is so unfair to little george.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 12:12 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Yep, judge drudge memo is crystal clear. It's wonderfully legible, looks to be written in Sanscrit. If you read it reversed in a mirror, standing on your head while whistling Dixie it clearly implicates A-Q in the Kennedy assassination and credits the young GWB with actually making the first Moon landing.

Wow.

--Bill
Old Oct 09, 2004, 12:24 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,861 Posts
Again,

Another words if your left leaning, its pefectly ok to lie if its for the better good?

What major media outlet has actually reported on Kerry's senate record?
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2004, 02:26 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,913 Posts
I am, as my first post implied, willing to wait to judge on this because it may not be for real. But, beyond the authenticity question, if it turns out to be true, this is about the most damning thing I have ever heard of regarding bias in the network news.

It is an example of what many of us feared with the passage of campaign finance laws. We need to repeal these laws now! Speech must remain free and uncontrained by government, especially political speech.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip