HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2001, 09:42 PM
Balsa Kamikaze
Germany, NRW
Joined Feb 2001
536 Posts
-= Pics of my latest project =-

Hey guys,

I had some problems posting the pictures here, so I put them on my homepage. Sorry!

_Jens

[This message has been edited by Jensst (edited 06-04-2001).]
Jensst is offline Find More Posts by Jensst
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2001, 10:36 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Very nice work, Jens! It looks great... and I'm glad to hear it flies well too!
-David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Jun 02, 2001, 12:44 AM
Spritual Pilot
Silicon Valley, CA
Joined May 2001
677 Posts

cool ! It looks much much much better than Simple 400. Great job. Hope to see its flying soon.

By the way, where did you get the foam wing ?

Thanks,

JN
jnyoun is offline Find More Posts by jnyoun
Old Jun 02, 2001, 12:49 AM
Spritual Pilot
Silicon Valley, CA
Joined May 2001
677 Posts

cool ! It looks much much much better than Simple 400. Great job. Hope to see its flying soon.

By the way, where did you get the foam wing ?

Thanks,

JN
jnyoun is offline Find More Posts by jnyoun
Old Jun 02, 2001, 10:04 AM
Balsa Kamikaze
Germany, NRW
Joined Feb 2001
536 Posts
jnyoun, come to Rancho San Antonio this weekend and you'll see it flying. A friend of mine sold me the foam wings, and he bought them at D&J Hobby in Campbell. You should get them in any LHS that carries Ace products...

_Jens
Old Jun 03, 2001, 12:43 AM
Joined Mar 2000
406 Posts
Cool...Man, that looks just like a TERRY from Hobby Lobby.....But, at $59.99, you could make about half a dozen of these! Nice colors on it also...What did it weight ready to fly? Later......Chris
Chris Rust is offline Find More Posts by Chris Rust
Old Jun 03, 2001, 01:57 AM
Balsa Kamikaze
Germany, NRW
Joined Feb 2001
536 Posts
Chris, I don't have a scale, but the weight should be similar to the Simple 400, so ~17 Oz.

Yeah, the Knife is very cheap concerning material. But I spent some time on sanding the fuse and on the covering job.

Btw, I tried the Permax 400BB on 8 cells today in the Knife. Oh boy, that's my favourite setup! Significantly faster than with the Speed 400, somewhere around 80mph+... Wonder how long the motor will stand that torture, I already had some probs with it after a few flights.

_Jens
Old Jun 04, 2001, 09:01 AM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
Jens,

Cool plane - try this for images:

img src=http://beam2.freeyellow.com/gallery/knife.jpg

Put "<" in front of the string, and ">" at the end. IMG and /IMG don't seem to work any more.

Chris

[This message has been edited by ChrisD (edited 06-04-2001).]
ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD
Old Jun 04, 2001, 03:21 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,586 Posts
The "Knife" looks nice, but if you are looking for speed(since you use a 400BB/8 cells in stead of the sp400/7), Why start with a slow wing? the Ace wing is not fast, pretty thick. You have a nice planform, get a beeter wing core and you will have a vvery nice and FAST plane.

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Jun 04, 2001, 03:40 PM
Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
Joined Mar 2001
70 Posts
I agree with Brian. Nice looking plane but if you want speed why the Ace wing? Not that the Ace wing is bad but it definitely is much too thick to get much speed even with the upgraded motor.
My Simple 400 is nearing completion and I am looking forward to a nice flying somewhat aerobatic plane, (for 3 Channels) but after seeing Dave Sawyers Adrenelin (sp?) fly, it will NOT be fast!
PeteC is offline Find More Posts by PeteC
Old Jun 04, 2001, 04:17 PM
Balsa Kamikaze
Germany, NRW
Joined Feb 2001
536 Posts
Yes, I know that the thick airfoil is the only thing slowing down the plane, the rest is pretty streamlined. Since I am a beginner in scratch building I didn't know it better than building the wing from foam.

What other possibilites do I have?! How can I make a thinner "racing airfoil" without spending lots of $$$ on a vacuumed bagged wing?! Any advice on that would be great, so I could gain more speed with the plane...

_Jens
Old Jun 04, 2001, 07:14 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2001
60 Posts
Hey Jensst..

I have to agree....nice looking use of the Simple400 wing. I recently bought the kit and an extra wing set (since they were so cheap) to use as either replacements or to have a wing on hand for expereminting with.

How is your fuse design holding up to "not so smooth landings"? Any chance of getting an idea on how you varied /reinforced it from the standard Simple400 fuse design?

Domeno is offline Find More Posts by Domeno
Old Jun 04, 2001, 08:55 PM
Balsa Kamikaze
Germany, NRW
Joined Feb 2001
536 Posts
Domeno, the only thing the new fuse design and the Simple 400 fuse have in common, is the exact position of the 3 ply formers and the total length. The new formers are much smaller though. The whole fuse uses balsa triangles inside, so I was able to sand it to an aerodynamic shape and to create this nice exit for the elevator pushrod.

"Not so smooth" landings is a problem indeed, since the bottom of the fuse is just the balsa covered with Ultracote. It already has a lot of scratches because I have to land on a gravel-like ground on the field. Next time I would enforce the bottom with thin glass and epoxy.

Still, anyone has some suggestions for an improved wing design?!

_Jens
Old Jun 04, 2001, 11:03 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,311 Posts
Your Knife looks great. I have to agree about the thick wing slowing it down though. If you don't have the equipment to hotwire cut your own wing cores buy a set of wing cores from Ace. Use a sanding block and thin the airfoil as much as you wish. Make sure that the left and the right are the same. Glue a carbon fiber shaft into a groove you cut into the bottom of the wing. This will do it cheaply and cut the drag by as much as you thin the wing.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 05, 2001, 12:37 AM
Balsa Kamikaze
Germany, NRW
Joined Feb 2001
536 Posts
Chris, the tags worked fine, but the UBB program said "not more than 8 pictures allowed per post". That's why I put it on a seperate page. Thx anyway.

_Jens