HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2004, 04:16 PM
REBEL YELL
Manassas, VA.
Joined May 2003
107 Posts
Getting good pictures at a limited file size?

I was using a aiptek 1.3 and now have bought a pentax optio 30
from walmart. Its 3.2 mp and has alot of options, but I just cant seem to get perfectly clear pictures. Took it up one time jerryrigged
to the ole reliable SS and the pictures while having better color
then the aiptek( not so yellowish looking) still have some blurryness
and ive since tried all kinds of ground shots while moving slightly to simulate the moving from the stick(its not reliably mounted to the plane yet for continued sky sorties, and im reluctant to work on mounting it until I sort out this blurryness and grainyness problem.
The more I down size the pictures and compress them the worse it gets. Have tried all different settings shooting mostly landscape type
pictures and am still not really happy with the results. How do you guys downsize and compress the daylights outta your files and still
get amazing full resolution like pictures on this forum ? If you look at the sky in this picture you can see the pixelization, and overall
the photo looks rather grainy with some blur. Do you have to use an expensive photo editing program like photoshop to avoid this? Please help!!

Dave
rogueflyer is offline Find More Posts by rogueflyer
Last edited by rogueflyer; Oct 06, 2004 at 04:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2004, 05:12 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
What are you using to resize it with? It definately looks like a bad effect from the application that was used. The originals look ok, right?
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Oct 07, 2004, 07:23 PM
REBEL YELL
Manassas, VA.
Joined May 2003
107 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The originals look better but there is some
blurryness, and I used ulead photo express software that came with my aiptek 1.3 software. Ive since taken the camera back
and now ive got an optio s4i but am still trying to figue out what software to use. Ive stretched my budget to get the grandaddy
of all cameras and now im not sure if ive really got any good software to use with it. Any ideas?

Thanks Dave
rogueflyer is offline Find More Posts by rogueflyer
Old Oct 07, 2004, 09:00 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
I usually change the image size on Photoshop to 8 inches wide or so, then change the resolution to around 100-120 depending on the picture. The use "save for web" and save as a compressed jpg. In Photoshop you can click the little arrow in the "save for web" box, and save to a target size (say 99kb for the forum rules).
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
Old Oct 07, 2004, 09:39 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Like he said, Adobe Photoshop has teh save for web option that lets you set a target filesize, and it works very good. I also like JASC Paintsho Pro, that also has a JPEG optimizer that will let you save to a certain filesize, while maintaining the best possible quality at that filesize. I usually start at a resolution of 700 to 800 pixels wide, then let one of the above mentioned programs do the rest to get it to around 98 or 99 kilobytes, so I can upload it here. There are a few freeware editors that will get you to the same end result, it just might be a longer process, but the price is right. I can't think of the names of the few I liked before, but I'll look for them and post them when I find them.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Oct 08, 2004, 02:57 PM
Denver Arapahoe, Colorado, United States
Joined Dec 2003
111 Posts
One thing most people don't think about when downsizing, is that you should resize in multiples of four for the best looking results. Also use bilinear sampling to soften the pixels or bicubic for a little harder edge.
gary.co is offline Find More Posts by gary.co