SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:00 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
747 Posts
The guy is a not

I may be biased but then I've slept with him...so know him better than most.

For those of you who think we have 'businesses' selling us high performance sailplanes....sorry, its just guys like us. No HR department, no employee handbook, not even any lights in the employee parking lot...that's the driveway in front of Barry's house.

In fact IF you get your stuff from Barry quickly that's normal...but for the most part, he's often busy with other things like enjoying life...and helping design and provide the finest soaring models in virtually every category.

Some times he's in Czech having a beer with Vladimir helping bring about our next soaring gems...like the ELF for instance.

With out this jerk likely we'd have never seen models where spare parts fit perfectly to the bits we have left from a crash.

Be glad he's not like the Soup Nazi who if you piss him off you don't get to come back....although you won't find a gentler guy in soaring...so pretty unlikely you'll be able to piss him off.

Posting your complaints here only identify's you..not him. He's been at every major and a bunch of minor soaring events, heck sponsored a bunch so those of us who compete know that we'll get our stuff when it comes.

And realize its worth waiting for.

However a great way to keep him from actually packing your stuff is to bombard him with phone calls and emails asking things like "are we there yet?".

Gordy
Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:15 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
747 Posts
Reading this thread is funny!

Sorry boys but those of us who know Barry personally from soaring events and buying from him just have to laugh. There's not a better guy in the business or even a better guy in the hobby.

I know its not funny to you guys who didn't get the things you wanted, or on time ..and didn't get to chat him up...but frankly he does the business at his pace, no one else's.

We are sooo lucky that Barry is there at all because of all the contributions he's driven in sailplane development along with Vladimir and Doc Drela..and even JW.

All the piss'n and moaning about what a bum he is...is justified same as it is about each of you on some level. But for everyone of you who think you are achieving something, some kind of hurt or injury in revenge for his lousy service by tattling here in RC Groups...there's 10 of us ready to claim the next shippment.

A good way to keep the supply moving along at most efficient paces....be sure to innudate him with emails and phone calls asking "are we there yet?"...I mean we wouldn't want him to spend the time packing up our orders :-).

Just thought I'd let you know how the rest of rc soaring feels about the bum!

Gordy
Why yes have have flown rc sailplanes more places with more guys than anyone else on Earth.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
MNZONA SOAR
United States, AZ, Surprise
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
Jeykl & Hyde

I have met Barry and I think that he is a great guy. I ordered a Blaster 3 and everything to build it from him and it all was delivered without delay and complete.He also helped me a lot with the set ups and construction tips. But then I ordered the Ballast set and it took weeks and several phone calls, but it too did arrive. On March 30th I ordered several small parts for my AVA Pro E and my Blaster and was told they would ship tomorrow but nothing showed for a week so I called and was told they would ship that day but still nothing. He did ship some of the parts after my last call but I won't know what's in the box until I open it. Barry has always been very helpful when I call and has spent the time answering questions only a newbie would ask. I appreciate his efforts. I just wish he had some help organizing his inventory and shipping process. Keep up the good work.
Bradjun1 is offline Find More Posts by Bradjun1
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,375 Posts
I'll chose to repeat post #23;

"Although not always perfect, I have never ever had a problem with Barry at KC that could not be worked out between two Human Beings.

Bipedal Animals unknown.

Jared "

Gordy, enjoy and have fun with Barry at Toledo.
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:11 AM
Helmet...check!!!
United States, WI, Prairie du Sac
Joined Sep 2010
53 Posts
I've bout a Sprite and a couple other things from Barry... never a problem. Seems to have been a problem of the past. I like these guys like Barry and SUSA as they are important to our hobby. I think people like NESP are of the past. Let's continue to support SUSA and Barry without hesitation.
AndyRice_WI is offline Find More Posts by AndyRice_WI
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
Lou
Well, that should buff out.
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,754 Posts
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Oct 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:22 PM
R.C. Designs - I fab. things
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
DrlSgt is offline Find More Posts by DrlSgt
Last edited by DrlSgt; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,754 Posts
Depends on when you called. He is in Ukraine presently and will be for 10 or so days, as I recall.

As for ordering from England ... not so sure that will work. Each dealer has their turf and Hyper may be reluctant to sell/ship to you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
Last edited by DrlSgt; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
747 Posts
Dear Drsgt

If you would have spent half the effort reaching The American guy as the foreign guy likely you would have been cheated out of all this attention.
Order the radio parts from Hong Kong and you'll have your stuff faster and cheaper... And then you can post about how much better the service was.

Do what ver you can to help another one of us out of a job.we've heard your story and its getting old.

I get Barry when ever I call yet you can't .....while he's supporting our USA f3J team in Africa or the Masfers or the Nats or the Texas Nationals or the Mid South or the Tangerine or the Southwest Champs or our USA F53k team.

We get it ... Send you money to England and enjoy your life.
Gordy
And no , I don't hide my words behind a Nickname.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
Last edited by DrlSgt; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrlSgt View Post
I already have a quote for products, tax, and shipping all in US dollars from the U.K. Tax and shipping are expensive but the cost is about the same as it would be if purchased from K.C.
Are you talking about HyperFlight? A little surprised if he is selling to the U.S. as in the past he has flat out refused to do so. I know, I did try to buy about $2000 worth of sailplanes from him and he refused the sale, due to turf.

Honestly, I ordered a plane from Barry last week and received it today.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:30 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
747 Posts
The Little Guy, still can't sign his name?

When you don't sign your name, you ARE hiding.

I've flown with most guys in the USA and a lot around the world.

I just spoke to Barry, he's in Istanbuhl, likely the same hotel I stayed at when I flew the the Turkish Team on their field in Riva.

Sailplane guys sign their names to their posts because we're all friends. We like sharing tips and ideas...but mostly like to fly together.

So drlsgt, here's some suggestions. You can get all the info you want about available planes...on the internet. Or you can call and email our suppliers who are trying to get things together for those of us who actually build and fly sailplanes.

Here's some more help for you....Soaring USA, Hobby Club, Skip Miller Models, Esprit models, all sell similar thing to the models Barry carries. You know similar to the statement you made about getting things from the UK, "cost the same as getting here...other than shipping and taxes" That's not the 'same' as getting things here. There are a lot of KC clones that will fly great for...you.

Its only about 40 hours of flying and hanging around airports, so make sure you send Barry a bunch of emails and leave plenty of messages, he'll hardly be tired....and likely will be even more ready to jump to your aide.

Guys on RC Groups hide behind nicknames so that they can play the bully. They feel the freedom of being able to say anything they want, to rant their righteous indignation.

Let me ask you this...what have you done for RC Soaring in your lifetime? If it amounts to your oh so helpful posts in this thread (started in 2001), I'm thinking you might want to go back and read what you've contributed.

Clearly you are a hero, who's done the right thing to protect us all from the evil, lazy, un-organized Barry and his wife.

Respect is earned, you can start earning some by signing your name to posts in the future.

Gordy
I flew my Icon2 all day today, you?.....its a Supra made by someone else...thanks to Barry, Dr. Drela and Vladimir for bringing so much to RC Soaring.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
I stand corrected

Gee folks, I'm wrong and now I'm eating crow for it. I see the error of my aproach to all of this and I stand corrected. I fly with the GDS&HS, if you can call what I do "flying"'. As it turns out, one of our members is a distributor, (this I did not know), and can get what I need with no problem. Barry's wife did send an e-mail explaining that Barry is out of town and that she is very busy. Anyway, I"m man enough to admit that I was wrong for slamming the guy's company and or him and I do stand corrected, and as such I hope I can find my way back into the RCG communities good graces

Rick
Last edited by DrlSgt; Nov 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
American made with pride

As it turns out I was able to get what I was looking for from Troy Lawicki right here in the U.S. He produces a top notch carbon tail boom that will work nicely at about half the price.

Rick
GDS&HS