SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2004, 12:55 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined May 2001
332 Posts
Discussion
Kennedy Composites - buyer beware

I have just had a very negative experience with Kennedy Composites.

It began in mid August when I called and ordered a $150 wing bag, as advertised on their website. I spoke with Barry (the owner?) and he assured me that the bag would ship in a couple of days. I payed with Paypal. Two weeks went by and the wing bag never arrived so I called back. This time Barry told me that the bag would ship in a couple more weeks. Two more weeks went by, no wing bag arrived, and so I called again. This time Barry said the bag would ship in a couple of months so I asked for a refund. Barry assured me that he would credit my Paypal account. A week went by and my account was not credited, so I called again. This time Barry said he would mail a refund check instead. Another week went by and still no refund so I called AGAIN. This time Barry said he thought he had mailed the check, but that he “was in the shop” and would have to get back to me to confirm. Needless to say, I never got any call back, or a refund check. ANOTHER week went by and I called AGAIN, and got Barry’s wife, who informed me that Barry was out of the country on vacation. I expressed my extreme frustration to her, and she was kind enough to actually follow through and mail a refund check.

It is not my nature to complain, but this was ridiculous. It took almost 2 months to resolve this situation, and Barry basically stonewalled me the whole time. No way to do business. I also did a search on Kennedy Composites and discovered that I am not the only one who has had problems with this company.

John Webb
John Webb is offline Find More Posts by John Webb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2004, 07:39 PM
.Denver, Co.
Joined Feb 2003
1,415 Posts
That seems bout right. I'm still waiting for parts missing in a kit. Been well over a year now. I've called, written (never returned), talked to Barry face-to-face. Always meet with a pleasant "I'll look into this". But as soon as the phone hangs up, nodda. Even when the big bucks are going for a plane, I still got the runaround. Was told the check "just" recieved, when the records show it was deposited 4 days prior to, yet, another call to find out where the plane was. You're right about being pretty wishy-washy with customers.
flyingdogtwo is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogtwo
Old Oct 05, 2004, 09:04 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
sorry to hear of your troubles fellas...I really have to disagree here though

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=25

Nothing but HIGH marks for Barry. If he was out of the country, rest assured he was probably over there trying to find where your bag went!

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Oct 05, 2004, 10:02 PM
.Denver, Co.
Joined Feb 2003
1,415 Posts
I have no doubt that Mr. Kennedy has helped some out, such as your case Kirby. And are very pleased when 'they' are guided well. But, not all situations are taken care of. Maybe, being out of the country, he can find my wing rods he was going to get me 10 months and three phone calls, too. I'm sure what John and I was saying was, these things can happen and have in our cases. This may be his own outfit handling Vladimire's planes, but is not the only RC related company he has worked for.
flyingdogtwo is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogtwo
Old Oct 05, 2004, 10:38 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
guys sorry to hear about your trouble... We all mess up and I can safely say that Barry tries very hard to please his customers. Usually with parts, the problem is gettin them shipped to him so he can mail them out. If they forget to put the spare parts in overseas, it takes a while to correct that... Again sorry, but i truly feel the quote "Kennedy Composites Buyer BEware" is unnessasary.
AustinTatious is online now Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Oct 05, 2004, 10:38 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined May 2001
332 Posts
Kirby -

I can assure you that you would not disagree if Kennedy Composites had treated you the way they treated me.

I'm glad you got good service, but I didn't. Barry's unprofessional approach was a complete waste of my time.

John
John Webb is offline Find More Posts by John Webb
Old Oct 05, 2004, 11:42 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
John BTW: This is the wrong forum for this anyway. It should be in the Vendors forum. I agree with Austin that your thread title is a little agressive. I too have recieved bad service from another sailplane company, but I did not drag thier name through the mud. just explained the situation which is far worse than the one you describe. No money was ever returned and the clueless owner did not have a clue what he had done wrong or did he try to remedy the situation. At least you got some satifaction.

Good luck to you in your future endevours, and I would say that Barry is a good person to do buisness with.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Oct 07, 2004, 08:23 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Barry Kennedy

Barry is "very" busy trying to make a living...Maybe too busy, and I have spoken to him about better communication with his customers.. He was very polite and undestanding with me..
At the Nats, he took time out of his "very hectic" day to fix my model when he realized I was allergic to CA... Nice gesture... Nice Guy..
Rest assured your money is safe and he will honor his commitments...Brian Smith
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Oct 07, 2004, 06:02 PM
DLD
David Layne
Tracy, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
665 Posts
Bk

John,

It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with Barry. I did business with him for several years as a manufacturer buying Obechi and Kevlar from him, and never had a problem. Barry is a good guy, and I hate to hear such news. Hopefully you just caught him at a bad time. I hope it hasn't made you completely jaded in regards to Kennedy Composites. By the way, you mentioned that you spoke to his wife. I will also say that I know Karen as well as Barry, and she is a wonderful person who has been involved in retail for a long time, and understands what is important for business.

David Layne
DLD is offline Find More Posts by DLD
Old Oct 07, 2004, 08:37 PM
Blairsville, Georgia, United States
Joined Sep 2002
762 Posts
Thanks Barry

I will have to stand up for Barry, he went out of his way to help me.
I lost an outer wing panel on my AVA at the late May contest in Tullohoma Tn, it was a falty joint. Called Barry when i got home and told him that i was entered in the Mid_South around June 25 could he possibly get me some new wings in time. Said no wings in stock but expecting a shipment around the 20 th. He called me on Tuesday the week of the contest saying that the shipment came in on Monday and he shipped mine out that day.
The wings arrived on Thursday morning in time as i had to leave that afternoon for Huntsville. No charge for wings or shipping.
Thanks again Barry.
Charlie
CHARLIE BRITT 7 is offline Find More Posts by CHARLIE BRITT 7
Last edited by CHARLIE BRITT 7; Oct 16, 2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:59 AM
Mr Jiggy Fly
Austin, Tx
Joined Jul 2003
572 Posts
Ive had bad luck with Kennedy Composites as well. I ordered a Mini Graphite and several other items from him many months ago. Barry sent an electric fuse, which I returned at my cost (with no offer of reimbursement), and he sent me the correct fuse minus the tail hardware. After many calls and emails, still no hardware. He seems like a pleasant enough guy on the phone but has never followed through on his promises. His loss, I was interested in some of his other planes, I wont be buying anything else from him.

Jay
surferx is offline Find More Posts by surferx
Old Oct 14, 2004, 07:51 PM
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2004
269 Posts
I have had similar troubles with other companies. I think that it is very frustrating when the company isn't honest with you. Here you are waiting, a month or two, to get parts that you could have ordered from another company that was honest when they told you that there was a two week ( or two month ) lead time. Honesty is a big part of the picture, as well as good communication. Jon
seeker is offline Find More Posts by seeker
Old May 14, 2010, 12:07 PM
Killin'em with a beat up pike!
Airplane Heaven
Joined Nov 2005
25 Posts
Mr. Kennedy, What to say what to say.!!!!! He Is the worst for putting people off, I know this how you ask, from about 45 glider pilots that complain he never returns calls, ships on time, yes I have it now will send it. a year later still no plane or parts!! He is a YES MAN for sure. I am sure he helps out, but lets be real here if this was someone working on your house or doing a service for you and they acted like that you would probably hunt them down and beat them! He runs a busisness so in my eyes he needs to take care of it. Soaring USA or Skip miller does not do these things, unless they are waiting for it from over seas, but if they are they call you, you don't have to call them thats for sure. I feel what you guys are going thru and understand your frustration. But I don't think he will ever change the way he does business.
Crash landing B is offline Find More Posts by Crash landing B
Last edited by Crash landing B; May 14, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:26 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Barry Kennedy

His Plus's "FAR" out weigh his minus's with me. Brian Smith
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old May 14, 2010, 03:48 PM
Go fast, turn left
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
Headhunter5504 is offline Find More Posts by Headhunter5504
Last edited by Headhunter5504; May 14, 2010 at 08:05 PM.