HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2004, 06:16 PM
Impossible? Hah!
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
Question
How to set up and trim out revo mixing ?

Hey ppl! I've just rigged up my first heli and have the head running nice and true

I have it mounted on a very smooth turnstyle for a LP-player and it's not going anywhere. Now I can set up mixing.

Will get a gyro eventually, but for now I just wanna see if I can get the revo-mixing set up semi-ok.

I have the Eclipse 7 TX. How should I proceed? I guess it only has to keep tail rather still at headspeeds from flight and up, during spinup I would have to control it manually?

All tips are welcome...
KreAture is offline Find More Posts by KreAture
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2004, 01:13 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Get a Gyro first.

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Oct 05, 2004, 01:17 AM
Impossible? Hah!
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
Sure Dylan
But, that negates the point. I may not get a gyro in ages. They are way expensive here...

I wanted to play a bit now
Old Oct 05, 2004, 02:30 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreAture
....I may not get a gyro in ages. They are way expensive here...
Why is it that people want to get into this hobby, but don't want to spend money on the essentials. You want to risk your investment in your model by cutting corners and not fitting essential kit, even the experts use a gyro.

If you have never flown before and try flying without one you'll trash your heli in seconds of the first flight - which will be more expensive than investing in a good gyro.

If funds are tight, start off with a normal rate gyro but I would seriously recommend a heading hold gyro, especially if you are learning to fly. If these are expensive in your country then purchase from japan (aircraft world) or the US

lastly, I wouldn't risk bolting your heli to a record player to test - if it pulled the platter out you'll stack your heli. -

Get yourself a decent HH gryo

Find a good wide open space away from built up areas

Practice getting the heli light on the skids and then into a tail in hover and trim the model by short hops.
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Oct 05, 2004, 05:52 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,369 Posts
Revo mixing is for the old obsolete non-heading hold gyros and was always a compromise. Revo mixing helps you a little but you still have to do a lot of the work yourself. Thatís why almost no one uses it any more.

A good modern heading hold gyro (GY401) takes care of everything for you so you can get on with the learning process. I would never recommend anyone attempt to fly without a HH gyro. Also make sure all the Revo values are set to 0.

RC
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 05, 2004, 11:56 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Im using a rate gyro, and revo mix(actually a 5 point mix, JR's revo mixing is kind of wierd) I used a turntable to set the mix, and have done this on 3 helis so far, they all fly awesome, and the tail holds very well, it just requires a few clicks of trim throughout the flight.

Without a gyro, when your in a hover and you give a rudder command, the tail will swing around fast, and it wont stop completely when you let off the rudder, and youll get into a battle between the rudder stick and heli. I can hover for a few seconds with the gyro gain all the way down and -58% expo on the rudder, as soon as the tail moves and i correct it, its out of control.

With the gyro, when you push the rudder stick the tail moves, when you let off the rudder the tail STOPS.

Get a gyro, you can find them here and on ebay for $30 or less.

Its been tried many times over, and if it worked, you would see people flying helis without a gyro.

Dylan

Also i set revo mix by taping the heli down to the turntable, making sure the turntable wont come apart easily, the first point of revo mix should be low enough the the tail ESC will arm without having to hold the rudder stick to the left, go to your second point and advance the throttle untill its in line with that point, adjust the value untill the tail stops, and move to the 3rd point, after you get the tail stopped at every point adjust the acceleration mix(if you have one) so that the tail holds when you goose the throttle. Also make sure the rudder channel end points and sub trim are all at 100 100 and 0, and the rudder trim is centered before you start mixing. Ive also noticed that the rudder requires some trim to stop the tail in flight, but was perfect on the turntable.

setting revo mix now takes me less than 5 minutes.

BTW my heading hold gyro should be here today
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Last edited by Dylwad; Oct 05, 2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2004, 01:16 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
I think a gyro is nesessary, but many flew helis for YEARS before we even had mech gyros.

It can be done, but I agree, just get a simple rate gyro at least.

Revo mixing only works when the heli is sitting in one place and you make no flight changes. Every little move you make will cause a torque change and the gyro keeps things form getting away. IF you heli is FP it will be even tougher to work out.

What heli is it?
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Oct 05, 2004, 01:59 PM
Frequent flyer
Grand Forks, ND
Joined Aug 2002
632 Posts
I've flown my micro without a gyro before, but that was after I was also very confident at indoor flight and had all the bugs worked out so the thing would hold hands off hover for a couple of seconds. Revo trim was spot on before removing the gyro, and I only hovered it around. it was flyable, but a handful, even for just indoor flying without wind!

now to learn without one... yup, it would be MUCH cheaper to get a good HH gyro then go through that!
rkramer is offline Find More Posts by rkramer
Old Oct 05, 2004, 03:59 PM
Impossible? Hah!
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
Malc C
I was not born yesterday. My turnstyle is bolted to the rest of the rig. It can't pop off. Worst case would be to lift the 7lb heavy rig, and that will not happen with a 7oz heli.

The heli is very cheap. I built it myself.
It's electric, and the actual heli has cost me around $20 to set up.

I do want a gyro, but I also wanna play a bit now while looking for one. A 401 or atleast a 240 is what I want.

What I was asking for was a procedure to help adjust revo mixing, not a lesson in buy buy buy, or you will crash crash crash... I know of this, and I already had a major crash with it due to error in TX causing it to literally tear itself apart due to shear forces from main rotor. (Mixing/range bug in tx giving 100% from standstill when I touched down on a already zeroed throttle!)

I will be fitting an immensely wide training gear (X style with balls) for my very first attempts at a 1" hover... Ground effect should help with the throttle-control and I can't ask for more on such a "diy" project.
Old Oct 05, 2004, 04:07 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
963 Posts
hahahahah

I cant help but grin at the thought of that little thing lifting even just the platter of a record player alone, much less the whole thing.

As for revo mixing, what kind of tx do you have? Maybe someone can shed some light on the question you originally asked.
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member