HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2004, 01:02 PM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Rx choice for small scale (brushless) on 35Mhz, in UK

I apologise if there's a better forum for this, but I cant find one specifically on control systems for small electrics. I am getting back into modelling after a lay-off and need to buy a 4 to 6 channel small receiver on 35Mhz for use in the UK. Any recommendations - either to go for, or to avoid? I am looking for the 9 to 12 gram range. I have seen lots of comment around the E-Zone about poor range and interference problems from ESCs and other sources. I will be running a Feigao brushless IPS replacement, using a Phoenix 10 ESC and 6 or 7 NiMH for now. Am using a variety of 9g and 5g servos. All my existing hardware is Futaba or Futaba-compatible, and it all checks out fine with my standard size Futaba dual conversion rx but I need small and light! Berg seem to have the best reputation in the USA but I can't find any reference to them doing 35MHZ suitable for the UK... any thoughts? I feel you UK scale modellers heer will be VERY keen on good quality radio gear due to the time investment in some of these wonderful models (Vintage1, Tim H, Peter Rake etc. Thanks for the learning so far
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Last edited by Work in Progress; Oct 03, 2004 at 01:06 PM. Reason: bad choice of words...!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2004, 01:35 PM
1/1 scale engineer.
Zurich Switzerland
Joined Sep 2002
223 Posts
Hi,
Although I'm not building at the moment due to work I can recomend the Jeti REX5. weight is about 8g full range and I found it suffered the least glitching of all the recievers I've used.
Flight Engineer is offline Find More Posts by Flight Engineer
Old Oct 03, 2004, 02:33 PM
Scotland
Joined Apr 2001
440 Posts
I agree with the Flight Engineer and have 2 of the Jeti Rex 5, they are small, light and reliable
R101 is offline Find More Posts by R101
Old Oct 03, 2004, 03:00 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,890 Posts
I recommend the Schulze Alpha 4 or Alpha 8 receivers. They use a built-in microcontroler for signal monitoring and intelligent conditioning, and have a glitch counter. Schulze produced them because they were fed up of people blaming their controller's for problems when it was really the reciver at fault. IHO they are a generation ahead of Jeti Rex receivers.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Oct 04, 2004, 03:00 AM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
I second what Neil said about Schulze, BUT you must use their crystals. I also use a Jeti Rex5 and it has been pretty good, better than the Rex4.

Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
Old Oct 04, 2004, 03:14 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,574 Posts
I've found both the Rex 4 and the Rex 5 both work very well out of doors. They also have the major advantage in a small model of having a short aerial - . The quoted range is less than for a normal sized receiver but we've experienced no radio related problems in flying a number of small models in the circuit at our club and at various fly-ins at the same distances (ca 300m) that the rest of the models were flying at.

Indoors, in close proximity to other transmitters, I found that the Rex-4 had real problems with interference, of which there is no sign outdoors. Have been using these outdoors for about four years with no mishaps.

The Schulze does have a very good reputation and it's stated somewhere on here that they are essentially either very similar or even the same receiver as the Berg, but available on 35mhz. As Ian said it's vital to use the manufacturers recommended crystals.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 04, 2004, 03:35 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Ive got about half a dozen REX-4's. Mostly off ebay.

They have adequatre but not spectacular range - start to hear throttle surges at bad points about 300-400 yards away.I think they are as sensitive as a normal S/C but the short antenna let's em down.

I've flown the futaba micro receiver too - not bad, but not as good as the Jeti.

I seldom fly in company: but do have strong off band stuff around. They seem to cope well with that.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 04, 2004, 06:26 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Thank you all very much, that's been a big help.
I'll get on with building my (re)trainer now - a West Wings J-3 Cub - and start drawing up the plan for my Miles M.20. (don't worry, there will be an intermediate aerobatic non-scale trainer to sharpen up the reflexes first.)
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Oct 04, 2004, 06:58 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
WIP,

I'll join the Jeti REX5 gang here!

I have several and they have all proved faultless in service. A short aerial and their ability to use a full-sized Fubaba xtal make them ideal.

Hillcott Electronics stocks them for around 32. Give Walter a ring on 01625 420247.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Oct 04, 2004, 08:53 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
My LHS does the 4's at 29.99.
was one on ebay at about 19 quid last I looked, but I am all stocked up now.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 04, 2004, 09:27 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,573 Posts
The Schulze Alpha 4 is only 29.95 (West London Models). I have three in high-performance brushless models and they're great. Summary of features here:

http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.de/alpha-e.htm

I also have a couple of Jetis which are OK, but I can't see any reason to buy those now rather than the Schulze (unless maybe you already have a bunch of compatible xtals).
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 04, 2004, 09:39 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,573 Posts
PS the Alpha 4 has a 39" aerial, but it's a full-range outdoor receiver. Schulze support shortening it to 16" if you don't need maximum range, or if you can replace with an Azarr or similar (I've done this on one of mine and also replaced the hard case with heatshrink, which brings the total weight with xtal down from 9 grams to about 6 grams).
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 04, 2004, 03:09 PM
Registered IGG Finland pilot
Finland IGG-FIN
Joined Feb 2003
680 Posts
Hi,

I would recommend also Schulze alpha 4 or 8, especially its
operation in very demanding atmosphere like Indoor - sessions,
has proven to be superior. 90 % Indoor pilots use that here in Finland.
And, you can use in alpha-4 micro-GWS chrystals, they work just fine with Schulze.
Hannu Vuorinen is offline Find More Posts by Hannu Vuorinen
Old Oct 04, 2004, 06:10 PM
Joined Mar 2003
385 Posts
My thoughts based on recent experience and years in the hobby.Futaba,fine but expensive,Hitec ,fine and not so dear,Jeti [only owned one rx] fine and cheap.GWS,your barge pole.Found a good use for a GWS rx recently,I use it if I'm putting a model together and just need to centre a servo or several,they have the range for that.Competition possibility perhaps ?1001 and 1 good uses for a GWS rx; 1/center checker,2/door stop 3/ No I can't think of a good third use.Regards Al.
Al Dente is offline Find More Posts by Al Dente
Old Oct 05, 2004, 02:32 AM
Scotland
Joined Apr 2001
440 Posts
Al - exactly what I do with my GWS Rx - use it for setting up a new model.
I lost 2 good models due to a GWS DC Rx having intermittent range. I know of several other failures.
R101 is offline Find More Posts by R101