HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2004, 12:33 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,740 Posts
I wish I had seen this thread before you had all those issues with the white printing.... I have a printer that prints white.... it's an ALPS MD5000... and I use it to print white on clear decal paper..... yours heli's looking good though....
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2004, 12:55 PM
Joined Mar 2004
101 Posts
Looking good, have you had a chance to weigh it? That thing looks fast sitting still!
tphelps3 is offline Find More Posts by tphelps3
Old Nov 01, 2004, 01:24 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphelps3
Looking good, have you had a chance to weigh it? That thing looks fast sitting still!
No, I didn't weight it yet. But I feel quite good that it's not to heavy as when I went to brushless I was 16 grams lighter even with new landing gear. I don't remember the weight of the body alone, but it is not much. It should fly easy.

I really like the body looks. However I will not be able to fo FFF on it as I'm quite new in helis - I can do hover tail in, and a little flying around, but whenever I got into trouble before I panic, I turn the tail in, and let myself relax in such hover.
I'm practicing on RealFlight G2, especially hovering nose in trying to get to "not thinking were is right and left" stage. Till then it will be slow scale flying model

After I'm done with the body (I hope this week) I will experiment with direct drive motor on the tail (see the thread Zoom tail issues? Got an idea for ya.
) It it works I'm going to turn the tail around having the tail rotor blades on the left side of the fuse like the real one. The tail mod also includes modified pitch slide grip with two pins insted of one. That removes most of the slope on the tail rotor pich.

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Old Nov 01, 2004, 02:39 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
I have to say, that body looks VERY good, and you can hardly tell the difference between the paper, and the paint!!!

Congrats!!!

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Last edited by minimole; Nov 02, 2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2004, 04:56 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimole
you can hardly tell the difference betweent eh paper, and the pain!!!
Thanks, I was surprised by that too, as on my first test I couldn't get even close with the color matching. Even without the clear coat you can't see the paper from 3ft. The second picture shows the paper because it has a different surface structure than the paint and it shows on the flash.
Now I hope the printer ink will not react with the clear paint - time for another test

BTW there is one decal missing - some white text on the top of the sliding door. From all the pictures I studied I can't tell what it is. Anyone can help???

RysiuM
Old Nov 01, 2004, 09:05 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Would you like.....

Would you like some custom cut white vinyl self adhesive graphics for your heli project?

No charge. Ken
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Nov 01, 2004, 09:59 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdill2160
Would you like some custom cut white vinyl self adhesive graphics for your heli project?

No charge. Ken
Thank you. I sent you a pm.

RysiuM
Old Nov 02, 2004, 08:44 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Mystery uncovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysium
BTW there is one decal missing - some white text on the top of the sliding door. From all the pictures I studied I can't tell what it is. Anyone can help???
The world is full of good people
David from CJ Systems Aviation Group responded to my e-mail describing exactly what the missing graphic is. It is the logo of the Commission for Accreditation of Medical Transport Services (CAMTS). He also pointed me to the website www.camts.org where the logo can be obtaind from. THANK YOU DAVID

Here is the updated picture of the original heli with the logo inserted and the original logo from CAMTS's website. Now I'm ready to finish my model.

RysiuM
Old Nov 02, 2004, 10:07 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Would you like a set in white vinyl ?

Ken
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Nov 02, 2004, 10:27 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdill2160
Would you like a set in white vinyl ?
You are to good to me I will keep it in mind.

I'm sorry, it will be to late. Unless something happens very bad, I'm putting the clear cote on the model tonight. I wanted to test fly it before Thursday (that wil be something to show'n tell at our club's meeting). Thanks anyway.

BTW - the entire CAMTS's logo is about 3/4" x 3/16" - I thought it is impossible to cut such small pieces in vinyl (at least I've been told that by other guys).

RysiuM
Old Nov 03, 2004, 12:28 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
The end of the thread?

GUYS I'M DONE !!!!!

First some technical info.

1. The body alone weights 96 grams including magnets and paint.
2. Shogun Augusta RTF weights 664 grams (23.4 oz) so it is exactly 3 oz heavier than original stock setup (including 3s1p ThunderPower 2100 mAh)

So I tried to fly it. First of all the sound was quite different. I guess I need to glue some piece of foam to the flat surfaces (inside) to cancel it.

I took off and it didn't want to fly. So I thought: "100 grams heavier, needs more power" so I adjusted throttle curve up by 8. Still didn't want to fly - just lifted up and went down. So I checked the battery. 9.6V Crap, I forgot to charge it after the last flight. So I will fly it tomorrow - maybe I will take some video.

For today just some pictures:

1. Side by side view. I mean the picture of original heli is behind.
2. Decals view. As you can see the decals blended into the background paint. Clear coat made a miracle
3. That's what you see when you look at the nose
4. And from behind. Did yo notice the tail rotor painted like the real one? Of course, not painted - black marker works great on the plastic.
5. And finally bottom. I didn't lie about the Duke logo on the belly. Notice the strobe light on the tail and two openings in front of the front wheel for landing lights.

Now I'd like to thank you all who suported me and/or helped me with this project. I don't want to miss anybody, so I will gett the list and make another post with credits.

Thanks, guys.

RysiuM
Old Nov 03, 2004, 06:42 AM
bat
cincinnati
Joined Jun 2003
1,459 Posts
gorgeous model!!!!!
hope it is as fun to fly as it is to look at.
great job
bat is offline Find More Posts by bat
Old Nov 03, 2004, 06:45 AM
bat
cincinnati
Joined Jun 2003
1,459 Posts
Gorgeous model!!!!!!!!
hope it is as fun to fly as it is to look at
great job

I am inspired to do a BK 117 medflight in a pearly dark green and white
bat is offline Find More Posts by bat
Old Nov 03, 2004, 07:44 AM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
RysiuM,

That is simply stunning!! Very good work, great job for sticking to it and seeing it through!! Now a waiting fan base awaits video!

Bill K.
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Old Nov 03, 2004, 10:51 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Credits

Credits:

Here is the list of guys I'd like to thank for help and support. It's been a big task for me and it would be impossible to finish it without you guys. BTW, the list is in random order

Hoverup
His posts in "darthdrk's Augusta A 109 Scale Zoom Fuselage Beta build" inspired me to start this project. He has been very helpful also answering my questions and giving smart tips. Thank you Boyd.

darthdrk
He made the plastic body. And he knows the stuff. Quick in responses, excellent in service and again helpful with tips and tricks. Thank you Edward.

Mr.RC-CAM
Always friendly and knowledgeable. He designed Landtastic module and programmed PIC for me. And as he has experience with RC helis his tips were always very valuable for me. Thank you Thomas.

kdill2160 and Akura2
Thank you guys for the decals offer. I will remember about you when I need custom decals for future projects.

David Franc form CJ Systems Aviation Group
Big thank you with the last decal. I turned to many people who might know this detail and only you have me fast and accurate response. You just saved my day, David. Thank you.

And last but not least big thanks to my son
He was the judge at every step of my work. Pointing out what's wrong or what to improve. He just made this heli much better. Thanks Mitek.

If I miss anyone, please forgive me - my memory is not as sharp any more as it used to be.

RysiuM
Last edited by rysium; Nov 03, 2004 at 10:53 AM.