HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2004, 01:47 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapagiorgio
I saw the other video, but the camera goes a little bit off right as the wheels go up (or down?).
There were a couple reasons:
1. My son was focusing on the strobe when I took wheels up
2. The gear swich is far away from cyclic stick so me, not being good in flying heli, had a problem doing all the things at the same time. On the video when heli jerks forward - that's the moment when I flipped the switch to lower the LG.

Sorry, next time I will try to do better

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Last edited by rysium; Oct 14, 2004 at 12:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2004, 01:18 PM
Atlantic City Intl, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Oct 2004
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysium
There were a couple reasons:
1. My son was focusing on the strobe when I took wheels up
2. The gear swich is far away from cyclic stick so me, not being good in flying heli, had a problem doing all the things at the same time. On the video when heli jerks forward - that's the moment when I flipped the switch to lower the LG.

Sorry, next time I will try to do better

RysiuM
That's what I figured. Good video anyway.
nickpapagiorgio is offline Find More Posts by nickpapagiorgio
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:24 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Tail problem solved

As tail problem is solved I returned to body. Today I got tail halves together. I remember Hoverup mentioned a big vibration of vertical fin. To avoid that I glued 3mm depron between fin halves (I used the leftover glue from Shockflyer - great flexible glue and foam safe). Inside the depron insert is glued to the top of body tube. Now it's stiff.
I have also included depron stiffener just behind the main shaft. Helped a lot.

Having more time on my still "naked" Shogun I discovered a problem. I was hovering about 3ft above the grass when everything just shut down -like the battery got disconnected. Heli dropped like a stone, but didn't damage anything. My gears were up, so the subframe took the whole impact.
I checked the ESC and I found it hot. Strange as the motor takes 5A and exposed CC25 should take it easy.
My guess was BEC shut down. So I plugged battery again, and everything went back to life, but as soon as I switched the gear, all shut down again (including lights). When I disconnected channel 5 (LG and lights) everything worked OK.

I was afraid that BEC in CC25 may not hold, but I didn't include voltage regulator in Landtastic circuit. Now I need to change it. I will put 7805 to power Landtastic gears and lights powered directly from the battery.

Pictures:
1. Piece of depron behind the main shaft
2. Depron inserts in vertical fins
3. Fins are vertical.
4. All parts together - it is beauty

RysiuM
Old Oct 16, 2004, 06:22 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Smal update on Shogun tail.

I decided to permamently glue tail and mid section. When I remove tail rotor gearbox I can easy slide the whole aft secton of the tail boom. To make easy disconnecting the tail rotor pushrod I replace Z-band with ball link. It gave me an oportunity to replace the metal pushrod with CF one. I still keept the plastic sleve as the pushrod must be routed along the boom to not touch the body.

The other picture shows magnets glued to CF tubes that I put over existing canopy mounts. Also you can see that I disconected channel 5 - my landing gear. It's still waiting for the fix.

RysiuM
Old Oct 17, 2004, 05:34 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Another tiny mod

After I replaced tail boom supporting struts I found that they are standing in the way of landing gear servo horn. It might the the reason why BEC overloaded. It also proved that original aluminum struts were bent up (they were above the horn at this point).

To solve the problem I made a small aliminum spacers 3.5mm high and 8mm diameter. Now you can see on the picture the servo horn has a clear distance from the strut.

RysiuM
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:15 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Other mechanical/electrical issues solved

I finished my 5V regulator and when I was testing it I measured curent taken by heli (BEC 5V part). All electronic parts excluding Landtastic module take about 80 mA idle. When I move all four servos at the same time the current goes up to 900mA. Still nothing dangerous for 3A BEC in CC-25. Then I checked Landtastic module. Loaded servo takes about 200mA (up to 500mA when stalled). Every LED takes 20mA so my landtastic module can take up to 560mA when servo is stalled or 260 mA at normal operation. Still not much for BEC. But it did cut off. What happened?
I found it easy - landing gear servo is burned. I guess it stalled because it got stopped by new tail boom struts (see my previous post) and just burned and shorted causing BEC to cut off.

I fixed all bindings, new LG servo is mounted but I decided to keep my 5V voltage regulator. This will give me piece of mind when I get some problem on "additional equipment" I will have still the radio working.
For voltage regulator I used 7805 which is good for up to 1.5A (I have a heat sink on it) and has internal overload protection, so in case of short in "additional equipment" it will just shut down not shorting the battery.

I'm thinking of including a real strobe light (with strobe tube) as the white LED looks wimpy But it's still on a dream side

Now when I have my heli back in shape, I will go back to body work.

Stay tuned.

RysiuM
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:17 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapagiorgio
I saw the other video, but the camera goes a little bit off right as the wheels go up (or down?).
Another try for better video.
I need to keep the quality down a little in order to have a reasonable file size.

RysiuM
Last edited by rysium; Oct 18, 2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:20 PM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
710 Posts
Very cool, Rysium!
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:35 PM
KVNY
Joined Oct 2002
338 Posts
Ain't technology grand!
Ticidytoc is offline Find More Posts by Ticidytoc
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:30 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Very, very cool... gotta love that!!
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:43 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
I got my Shogun today. Im starting out on the right foot, I ordered the wrong servos for starters.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:08 PM
Atlantic City Intl, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Oct 2004
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysium
Another try for better video.
I need to keep the quality down a little in order to have a reasonable file size.

RysiuM
Lookin good. I got my Shogun a couple of days ago but I am waiting on my motor and battery. Can't wait to get it up and flyin.
nickpapagiorgio is offline Find More Posts by nickpapagiorgio
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:38 AM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Very nice there!!! When are you aiming to paint the canopy?

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:12 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimole
Very nice there!!! When are you aiming to paint the canopy?
Thanks guys. Trying the body yesterday I decided to move my landtastic module from the bottom to the side of the frame. It didn't look right sticking out under the belly. I don't know how many times I have zip-tied these cables already

When I was satistied with all the electronic's placement (it took me another 3 hours - yes it's a lot of work to reroute all cables) I fit the tail part. God news is that when I measured the tail cone's cut-out line, it came exactly at the same spot as hoverup measured. Good. That means the whole body fits fine. As I mentioned before I decided to glue center section with the tail section. It came out quite fine (pictures to come).

I'm getting closer to the paint job. But before I paint it I have the following tasks scheduled:

1. Build horizontal fin.

2. Cut and glue the dummy shaft cover (the last piece I didn't cut out yet)

3. Build the mounting point for screwing up the body (tail section) to the tail boom. It may be not enough for solid mount, and maybe I will need to set up additional mounting points.

4. Cut out and mount the tail cone to fit over the tail rotor assembly

5. Cut all openings for lights (strobe and landing lights)

I'm still researchincg the best way to put all white decals. I need to have it before I paint the body. I have a lot of scraps to test my paint so I want to do the job right. I don't have problem with the red "life line", but the main issue I have to solve is how to make the white texts and symbols on the black and blue body.

I have already asked this question Hoverup (thanks, buddy), but it will not hurt to get all your suggestions:

What is the best way to make white decals over dark background?

Printing on transparent sticky paper will not work as there is no such thing like "white ink" in ink-jet printers. Hoverup suggested to print just the background on the stickers making sure the color of the ink maches the color of the paint. In my case it might be next to impossible as I'm using metalic blue and metalic black paint.
In the worst case scenario I may end up with ordering a professional custom decals.

RysiuM
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:02 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
I'm getting closer to the final

Today I tested my paint. I'm going to airbrush acrylic paint: metalic black and metalic blue for the body and clear something (I didn't decided about the collor yet) for windows. Picture below shows colors I tested. I don't like the purple for windows - I'm going to look for some kind of brownish color.

In the meantime I finished horizontal stab. I did it a little different from the instruction. Instead laminating a piece of depron between two styrene sheets I wrapped the styrene around the depron. This way I have round leading edge and no need for CF rod. It's stiff, clean and light solution. Again Ikarus glue (leftover from shockfyer) worked great here.

Also different from the instruction I didn't cut a hole in the tail section for the stab, but I made a horizontal and vertical cuts instead. Then I bent remainimg lips up and down making nice support for the stab. See the pictures for better explanation.

1 - Test of my paint
2 - The way a styrene is wrapped around the depron
3 - Mounting on the fuselage

RysiuM