Old Oct 04, 2004, 07:49 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shim
Rysium,
Any chance of you sharing the conversion on the rc-cam circuit you made.
Mr.RC-CAM has designed Landtastic module that I modified (with his permission). I used deluxe version circuit (with Landing Lights, Strobe and Lost Model Alert).
Change was simple. I removed the Lost Model Alert part and replaced it with LED4 and R4 circuit (see the picture below). I didn't need a buzzer, but I still wanted to see some signals that PIC is sending out during "programmiing".

I have to give all credits to Mr.RC-CAM. He is simple genius. I have aldeady build his Top RC-Gun AWS for GWS warbirs (for stringer-less combat), and now this. And unlike other Geniuses, he is very friendly too.

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Last edited by rysium; Oct 04, 2004 at 07:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2004, 08:31 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Duke Life Flight Pictures.

I found a great pictures of my heli. Very detail. I see it's Black and Blue. I hope I can print all symbols - it will be difficult as all are white so I can't just use printer on transparent stickers. I will have to hand cut all of it. It wil be fun
Here is the link to the site with very cool pictures of my heli.

RysiuM
Old Oct 04, 2004, 02:13 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Body arrived - very nice.

My body arrived today just on time - BIG THANK YOU Edward form Darthdrk . It was very fast. I can continue my project without break. I am so happy

RysiuM
Old Oct 10, 2004, 02:21 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Help needed

Among other projects this one is still going on. I have body parts cut out and trimmed. I still have to work on the triming for the langing gear fit.
Body fits very nice over the frame good work Darthdrk.
I missed front wheel by one inch (the mark on the body for the front wheel is one inch in front of my wheel. No bigi. It still looks good. All my electronics fit inside without any cutting in the bottom, but I think I need to provide hole to expose the ESC for cooling. But maybe not. I will think about that.

I also need to add the main wheel pans. I think I will build them just over the landing gear and cut the fuse for exact fit.

Now I need some help for the tail section. I cut it out exactly where the flat starts (end of mold) and I still have some edge sticking up (see pictures). If I trim it more, I will have very thin fins. Is it supposed to be like that. Hoverup, Darthdrk please help.

RysiuM
Old Oct 10, 2004, 08:19 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Youre doing good and on the right track. For the bottom rear of the fuselage try this as seen in the photo. Heres a bell222 bottom and this is my suggested method for the A109. Yes the verticle fin will be about 1/8" thick.
looks like a little more trimming needing to be done on the rear bottom seam. Glue a strip of plastic on the inside of one side of the rear bottom fuse half about 1/2" wide. leave about half exposed so it becomes a screw flange. bring fuselage tailboom bottom together and tape. drill holes and install some small screws.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Oct 10, 2004, 08:25 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
also, you dont have to glue the tailboom on either, you can use small screws. This will make replacing the boom easier in case of a boom strike or mishap.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:36 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdrk
looks like a little more trimming needing to be done on the rear bottom seam.
One more thing. Should I also trim the top part (it looks the same like the pice shown on my picture) so both edges of two halves wil fit the same way as the bottom part, just instead of screws they will be glued together (with additional stripe inside).

If both tail fins shuld be trimmed to 1/16 inch each (to have 1/8 fin thicknes) then how can I glue them together. I was thinking of laminating them around the piece of depron like the vertical fin - or there is a better way.

Sorry for this dumb questions, but this is my first "scale" plastic body, and I want to do it right.

RysiuM
Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:49 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysium
One more thing. Should I also trim the top part (it looks the same like the pice shown on my picture) so both edges of two halves wil fit the same way as the bottom part, just instead of screws they will be glued together (with additional stripe inside).
You got it. Your seams should be pretty clean, notice the seam in the above pic of the screwed on tailboom and rear upper fuselage half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysium
If both tail fins shuld be trimmed to 1/16 inch each (to have 1/8 fin thicknes) then how can I glue them together. I was thinking of laminating them around the piece of depron like the vertical fin - or there is a better way.
I actually overlapped one fin with the other I try to post a close up pic.
Last edited by darthdrk; Oct 10, 2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 01:07 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
I overlapped the Leading edge opposite trailing edge
Old Oct 10, 2004, 01:46 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Unless you add a filler core of some lightweight material you will have problems with the upper vertical fin vibrating in flight. Use Depron or some balsa with lightening holes to fit inside the fin and extend down into the lower sub fin to prevent this.

Cheers - Boyd
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Last edited by Hoverup; Oct 10, 2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 02:33 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdrk
You got it
Yes I got it, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup
Unless you add a filler core of some lightweight material you will have problems with the upper vertical fin vibrating in flight.
Yes, I read about this in your post somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup
Use Depron or some balsa with lightening holes to fit inside the fin and extend down into the lower sub fin to pervent this.
It will not be as easy as it seams because tail boom is on the way - half way between fins exactly at the center. I need to work on that one. But before I build something I will show it here for your opinions.

Again, thanks guys.

RysiuM
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:31 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Now I have figured out very the mounting with the least exposure but very easy to work with. For the mid section I glued both halves at the top and then I installed additional enforcement at the bottom seam for screws, that will hold both halves together.
For the front I glued both halves all the way around but to easy mount and remove it over the heli's nose I installed magnets on the frame and outside of the shell. These strong magnets hold the shel strong and position it at the place but it is easy to remove. This solved my problem with battery connectors. I can keep all inside the body as within a second I can take out the nose section to connect or disconnect the battery and put the shell back without any tools.

I like this solution very much. I just need to make sure that magnets will stay on the shell (good glue is needed here )

Here are the pictures:

1. Mid section enforcements for screws (not screws yet). three additional layers of sturene so the screws have something to bite. Sorry for picture out of focus.

2. Front section mounted with three magnets on the shell

3. Magnets mounted on the front section of the frame,

RysiuM
Last edited by rysium; Oct 11, 2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 08:37 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Magnets fixed.

I have figured out how to hold magnets in place forever. I mad a simple mold magnet's shape and using heat gun I turned some styro scraps into nice caps that now are glued over the magnets. They don't look bad at the bottom, a little worse on the side as they turned out to be on the window.
Anyway the whole front part of Augusta body is secured in the place with 5 pairs of magnets: three at the bottom and two on the side.
The good thing about the magnets is thatthey position body exactly where it supposed to be. Kind of self aligment

Here are the pictures:
1. The bottom of the body with additional "panels". Thes are 12mm long 1.5mm thick N45 each

2. Side magnets. You can see additional cap on the left side and inside magnet mounted on the insiide mount (3mm ID CF tube put over existing canopy mount).

RysiuM
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:59 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Solving mechanical problems

As Hoverup mentioned the very beginning of his darthdrk's Augusta A 109 Scale Zoom Fuselage Beta build thread the first priority task is making sure that the heli doesn't have any mechanical issues. I just discovered the problem with my tail drive. When I removed the tail gearbox to fit the tail part of the body I noticed damaged shaft causing loose in tail gears. For more info see the thread Shogun Modifications - why?.

So further work on the scale body is postponed for a couple of days until I resolve all tail issues. Stay tuned.

RysiuM
Old Oct 13, 2004, 01:25 PM
Atlantic City Intl, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Oct 2004
173 Posts
rysium,

Good post, please keep us updated on your progress and also, when it is finally finished, maybe a nice (high quality) video of the whole thing in action. I saw the other video, but the camera goes a little bit off right as the wheels go up (or down?).

Kevin
nickpapagiorgio is offline Find More Posts by nickpapagiorgio