HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2004, 02:57 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Shogun - Augusta 109 project

I messed up my other thread dedicated to Shogun "mandatory" modifications with my fun projest, so I decided to start new thread dedicated to converting Shogun micro heli into scale Augusta A-109 and move all the post here from the original thread Shogun modifications - why???.

So here we go.

I have finished another project for my Shogun. As I wrote I don't fly 3D so I am going to make it scale. Hoverup gave me an idea - Agusta A-109 body is on order. It will have retracted LG too (why not).

I turned to Mr.RC-CAM and his project for slow moving servo (scale retracts). Hi module called Landtastic not only operates servos, but also turns on landing lights and lights the strobe light.

He lives near by, so I stopped by and got the programmed PIC - the rest stuff from demolished CR-ROMS and local electronic store.

Making the story short, I designed a board and tonight I have put everything together. It works !!! Servo operates slow, blue lights (landing lights) are operational and white strobe is blinking (wide angle white LED).

Many thanks Tom.

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Last edited by rysium; Nov 03, 2004 at 10:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2004, 02:59 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Landtastic module detail

Some additional notes.

I have modified Landtastic module a little bit by taking out the buzzer (and FET) and using a green LED connected directly to PIC instead (through resistor of course). I don't need a buzzer, but I will still need something that will show PIC responses in the programming mode.

As Mr.RC-CAM didn't provide a board design I had to use my imagination and I came with something quite small but still easy to work with. Here is picture of all component's placement.

RysiuM

Edit: Added picture of ready to go module. Weight including connector is 8grams. Not bad.
Old Oct 03, 2004, 03:01 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Landing gear frame

I have started my project already turning Shogun into scale Augusta A-109 (thanks Hoverup). Body is on it's way I should get it next week. In the meantime I finished main landing gear frame. I hope to run all three retracts with one servo (powered by Landtastic module).

It is the same concept as Hoverup posted in his thread, I just did a couple things different. Anyway, here is my landing gear.

1. Wheels down,
2. Wheels up
3 Man wheel (detail)
4 Nose wheel (detail)

RysiuM
Old Oct 03, 2004, 03:02 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Retracts are working.

Next day and some work done. I didn't have much time dedicated to my heli, but I managed to mount the servo and all linkage so I have working retracts now. All are powered by one Cirrus 6.2 servo. I hope it will hold the gear as GWS retracts have positive lock. All ready to go.

Now I have to wait for Augsta body because I simply don't know any measurments of that. I have to fit the whole subframe this way, so the nose wheel is under the nose but at the same time I have enough clearence behind the heli frame for servo and pushrod. I calculated everything using scale drawing of Augusta A109 but I don't know what will really come in the box.

I still don't know where to place the strobe light. The easiest way would be on the subframe between the main wheels behind the servo, but is it "scale"?

Can anyone help me with that?

Here some detail pictures of the whole subframe with servo installed. However no lights yet.

1. Top view
2. Bottom view
3. Detail on the servo

RysiuM
Old Oct 03, 2004, 03:38 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,972 Posts
looking good so far rysium , what kind of scheme are you planning? here's a favourite of mine

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Oct 03, 2004, 10:21 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
These are some neat looking real 109 pics
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:13 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy|Harry
what kind of scheme are you planning? here's a favourite of mine
I don't want military version (I am very peacefull man ). I saw somewhere on the Internet some scheme with dark blue, light blue and red but I lost it. I need to find it again. I thnk it was some mountine rescue heli.

I hope Augusta body will come tomorrow or Tuesday. I still need to find a good paint for it. I like acrylic paint as it easy to wash and local craft store is full of any color I want for 50 cents a bottle . I even found a clear gloss coat

For now I have finished the landing gear part. It's mounted on the heli the way it's easy to fine addjust for moving forward and back.

The weight now (with everyting including battery) without body is 554 gram. Cool, as now it is 16 grams lighter than the one with orginal motor. What I added by retracts I lost on the brushless motor. I hope the whole body (with paint and mount) will be less than 16 grams. I will be good to go.

Here is the picture of Shoun with retracts. They are working very cool. Notice two LEDs in front of the nose wheel (landing lights) and one LED under the horizontal fin (strobe). All works like charm

RysiuM
Last edited by rysium; Oct 04, 2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:31 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
For getting an idea of a color scheme, try this link : http://www.helispot.com/photos/similar/00005.html
Old Oct 03, 2004, 09:21 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdrk
For getting an idea of a color scheme, try this link : http://www.helispot.com/photos/similar/00005.html
Thanks man. I found my heli there. It is black (or dark blue) stripe over blue background with red "life" line. Quite cool.

Here are the pictures:
Last edited by rysium; Oct 04, 2004 at 09:24 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2004, 09:47 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
That will make a good looking Augusta.
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Oct 03, 2004, 10:44 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
I agree. My next Heli will probably be a Zoom.
Old Oct 03, 2004, 11:00 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Ratracts in the action

Here is a short video my Shogun in flight demonstrating retracts.

Picture below shows flying in the evening when was dark enough to show the lights.

RysiuM
Old Oct 03, 2004, 11:10 PM
Really Cool User
Tampa St Pete, Florida, United States
Joined Dec 2003
1,870 Posts
WOW that is really cool.
Silverstreak328 is offline Find More Posts by Silverstreak328
Old Oct 03, 2004, 11:35 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
nice, cant wait to see the finished model.
Old Oct 04, 2004, 06:50 AM
Brunei Darussalam
Joined Mar 2003
556 Posts
Rysium,
Any chance of you sharing the conversion on the rc-cam circuit you made. Thanks.

-shim
shim is offline Find More Posts by shim