HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2004, 08:50 PM
The Computer Forensics PI
CA
Joined Sep 2004
19 Posts
Gentle Lady ARF--WARNING

WARNING:

If you buy a Gentle Lady ARF Glider, do not use the wooden wing joiner. Sub in a metal tube and rod assembly. When I tried the stock wing joiner installation, right out of the box, the wing folded on a minor, low power winch launch. I was able to fix it quickly. The damage was minor. It now has a metal joiner.

Kirk
www.hitechpi.net
hitechpi is offline Find More Posts by hitechpi
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2004, 06:09 AM
Joined Sep 2001
99 Posts
Gentle lady

I was doing some research on the Gentle Lady ARF and stumbled upon your
Warning about the wing joiner. Was this a problem a lot of people had? I
did not see too much else about it. Can you please elaborate on exactly
how you used the metal tube and rod joiner. I will be building one soon,
and it sounds like I should use your method. Any help would be
appreciated.
Sheptack is offline Find More Posts by Sheptack
Last edited by Sheptack; Oct 28, 2004 at 06:21 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 08:13 AM
CA
Joined Sep 2004
19 Posts
For the Gentle Lady, do not use the wing joiner spar. It is made of wood. Replace it with a metal rod. The rod can also be one that fits through a brass tube. Use the exiting wing joiner spar "tunnel" and use generous amounts of 30 minute epoxy to set it in place. Double-check the alignment of the wing halves before you commit to setting it with glue.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 08:29 AM
Joined Sep 2001
99 Posts
Can you give me an idea of what size rod, and or tube to use? Thank you very much.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 03:45 PM
CA
Joined Sep 2004
19 Posts
Find the size that fits the wing joiner "tunnel" tightly, or take that wooden wing joiner to the hobby store and match it up with the appropriate tube and rod.

K. Stockham
Computer Forensics Investigator
www.hitechpi.net
Old Oct 29, 2004, 06:01 AM
Joined Sep 2001
99 Posts
Thank you, I will do that. Have you found the Gentle lady to be a good flyer? I fly 40 size gas, and a host of electrics but have not tried a Sail Plane yet. Some say that the Gentle Lady is a perfect starter Glider, and I have had some say that flight duration is short due to wing design, and kind of being a Glider trainer. I however have read a lot of good things about the gentle Lady so I am a bit confused. My Club has an electric winch, so that is how I plan to get airborne. I also wanted an ARF so choices were some what limited. Looks like a real floater to me, but I guess all I can do is hope. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2004, 07:58 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,431 Posts
Dear Sheptack: The Gentle Lady kit plan has been used as a sailplane trainer for several decades. It was/is an easy build because the wing has a flat bottom as does the arf version. It is a very good flier but does not penetrate wind very well due to the wing's airfoil. I made many Gentle Ladies over the years as I used them to teach scouts to fly RC. Back then flying also meant building. The new Gentle Lady ARF can fly in light lift at the slope and will thermal well in any reasonable thermal conditions.
If you switch to the stronger wing rod recommended in this thread you should have no problems launching with a winch provided you pulse it up slowly rather then standing on the pedal. To harsh a launch can still destroy the wing but you should get a nice high launch with a pulse launch.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:06 PM
RC bee
Joined Apr 2009
9 Posts
Gentle Lady with COX.049 engine,which size of speed control could be acceptable?
10A.12A.20A ?????
John200888 is offline Find More Posts by John200888
Old Feb 01, 2010, 03:14 PM
HELIRLC
SOUTH CHARLOTTE, NC
Joined Feb 2005
1,064 Posts
speed control wont matter with that cox motor since it needs liquid fuel instead of electric fuel...

I built and flew a Carl Goldburg Electra, which is a powered version of the gentle lady if I remeber correctly, and the Electra was a great forgiving learning to build, fly and soar, glider. I flew it from 1981 till 2005. It found a bad storm cloud that sent straight down to !@#$, I was heart broken but in turn happy that I had the pleasure and enjoyment of that plane for voer 20 years.. and tons of epoxy later.

Russell
HELIRLC is offline Find More Posts by HELIRLC
Last edited by HELIRLC; Feb 02, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:23 PM
Ruptured Duck
Fairfield Glade, TN
Joined Mar 2009
3 Posts
I used a Super Tiger ST-10 with 25 Amp ESC and 1200mah 11.4 Lipo on my built up GL, it pulled it, quickly, with total authority to great heights. I was using an 11X7 folding prop. I had previously had an .049 Cox on it for several years ( built it in 1988) and would remove the prop from that engine, cover the engine with any handy plastic bag and fly slopes in mild to moderate lift. A good little sailplane that will thermal nicely, going to electric was a definite improvement but had to add a spacer to extend the Motor forward and a little lead to the nose to get my CG back.
tipstall321 is offline Find More Posts by tipstall321