Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 02, 2004, 01:58 PM
Go on just 1 more beer then
Bournemouth Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
726 Posts
Simprop Turn Left

We have been looking at the Turn Left model by Simprop. Aparantly available at £130. in the UK.

Has anyone in the group flown one yet?

I saw one at York and it seemed to rattle on a bit however I have no idea if it can handle a Hacker F5D motor.

I am looking for somthing to fly during the winter months larger than the D99 to get my thumbs ready for next seasons new F5D models.

Rob
Rob AR is offline Find More Posts by Rob AR
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2004, 03:05 PM
Speed King
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Feb 2003
958 Posts
Hi Rob,
Ive not seen one but I would be carefull of pulling hi G turns with a hacker in one as the wing has no spar. As far as im aware its just a foam vaneer wing.
MarkChinery is offline Find More Posts by MarkChinery
Old Oct 02, 2004, 04:08 PM
Go on just 1 more beer then
Bournemouth Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
726 Posts
O well, anouther idea binned.

If this is true the Turn Left will not be any good.
Are there any larger 2005 spec models due out soon? I have contacted the guy's that make the Cyclone and that is OK however with UK import duties etc it costs a fortune.

I find the D99 just too small and landing speeds too high to enjoy a day out practicing with it.

I am sure the new bigger 2005 models will improve the popularity of F5D tremendously but not if we all get the models 1 month before the first event of next year, anyone got any idea's?

Rob

PS Yes we have thought about splicing another foot into the middle of a D99 and currently that looks the most likely way forward.
Rob AR is offline Find More Posts by Rob AR
Old Oct 03, 2004, 01:37 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
There have beeen a few threads here but no real flight reports as such, but I see the Germans have at least had time to compete with them. Just hit search. My understanding was that it is a reinforced version of the XXS wing (which is what some people used before this came out), I thought the reports mentioned a spar.

I find some of the European forums a good source of data especially the German ones. This site is mainly American (who don't yet have this bird) so inf at this time seems to be of the 'Wow, where do I get one' sort.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Oct 03, 2004, 11:58 AM
Paderborn, Germany
Joined Oct 2003
25 Posts
Hi Rob,

the Turn Left was never intended to be a full blown F5D plane. It's made for the the F5D-LIMITED Class.
The wing has a spar and is stiffer than the Lift off XXS wing.
So if you are looking for a 'real' F5D ship that meet the 2005 rules: don't go for the Turn Left.

Hope that helps
Peter
phansen is offline Find More Posts by phansen
Old Oct 03, 2004, 12:38 PM
England
Joined May 2000
1,486 Posts
I think you may have to strengthen an existing foam plane to get what you want. I am sure that the turnleft or xxs can be strengthened enough, I managed it with a graupner terry few years ago, I made a new fuz because the bolting of the wing to fuz on the normal terry was not strong enough for high g turns.

As you can imagine on a 7 cell pylon setup (6l, 4.7x4.7 and 7-8 2400 at that time) was not as fast as a avionic but it was still very fast. If i can find the old pics of it I'll post them here, the wing mod included insertion of carbon pre-extruded strips in the top and bottom with end grain balsa wrapped with kevlar tows to hold the shear web together. This was inserted into the wing and then the whole thing glassed to spread the load from the spar to the rest of the wing.

Doing that to the xxs or turnleft should give a strong and slightly overweight plane suitable for practise.

regards

Kyri
Kyri is offline Find More Posts by Kyri