SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2007, 02:45 PM
Alsace, France
Joined Sep 2007
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso France
Hi Dan,

I begin the assembly of the hatchway. Work meticulous in sight many small parts to assemble. I'd put photographs

Jmarc
here pictures of the beginning.

Under the hatchway I will put reinforcements. This to avoid all deformations caused by water. Then I would pass from varnish marine, chechmate. Protection used by the sailors

After I will put small wood slats like the upper desk
I will leave the color wood because I like thus.
Calypso France is offline Find More Posts by Calypso France
Last edited by Calypso France; Dec 01, 2007 at 02:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2007, 05:36 PM
Bergen, Norway
Joined Apr 2007
55 Posts
Hi folks!

Nice work at your models. I am finished with my exams etc, and I really have to move on with my model, I`m far, far behind you.... (The chinese wall wasn`t build at one day either, hahaha) Ok, keep up the good work guys! I`ll keep you informed at my progress.
Kim79 is offline Find More Posts by Kim79
Old Dec 01, 2007, 02:07 AM
Alsace, France
Joined Sep 2007
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim79
Hi folks!

Nice work at your models. I am finished with my exams etc, and I really have to move on with my model, I`m far, far behind you.... (The chinese wall wasn`t build at one day either, hahaha) Ok, keep up the good work guys! I`ll keep you informed at my progress.
Hi Kim,

Thanks, it's the first model which I build
I have a problem with servo for the rudders there's too much clearance. And the rudders go too far
how to limit this clearance? Thanks

Another questions ? Which parts of the superstructure is dismountable
I send plan left photograph

Regards,
Jmarc
Last edited by Calypso France; Dec 01, 2007 at 02:42 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2007, 11:46 AM
Bergen, Norway
Joined Apr 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
Hi Kim,

I have a problem with servo for the rudders there's too much clearance. And the rudders go too far

Regards,
Jmarc
Hi Jmarc! Yeah, I have followed this thread for a long time. You are doing very well! If you see page 26 in this thread, you`ll see some pics of my model, it was originally build in 1994, but time and dust have`nt treat it well. In the autumn 2006 I ribbed the model all down, (I have posted several pics of the "work") and have now started the rehab-process. *phu*, hehe
Old Dec 01, 2007, 12:13 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,270 Posts
Quote:
Hi Kim,

Regards,
Jmarc

I, personally would make the boat as accessable as possible.

Regarding your rudder throw/clearance,
Put the control rod closer to the center of the servo arm. This will reduce your throw on the rudder, and limit its clearance.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Dec 01, 2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2007, 09:51 AM
Alsace, France
Joined Sep 2007
148 Posts
Hi,

The continuation...
Old Dec 03, 2007, 01:54 AM
Alsace, France
Joined Sep 2007
148 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

The continuation...
then I will leave wood like that. Right varnish and protected from water.I find that it's pretty with wood. I'd put reinforcements below the structures in order to prevent that wood does'nt become deformed by water.
Old Dec 03, 2007, 09:12 AM
Alsace, France
Joined Sep 2007
148 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

The continuation...
slats on the hull finished and put in places nails from there
Old Dec 03, 2007, 04:58 PM
Bergen, Norway
Joined Apr 2007
55 Posts
Anyone with an idea how I get the portholes in the bulb waterproof?
Old Dec 04, 2007, 01:24 AM
Alsace, France
Joined Sep 2007
148 Posts
Quote:
Anyone with an idea how I get the portholes in the bulb waterproof?
Hi Kim,

what do you seek? Explain me better
Old Dec 04, 2007, 01:56 AM
Bergen, Norway
Joined Apr 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
Hi Kim,

what do you seek? Explain me better

JM, take a look at the picture, don`t know how to explain it better, hehe:
Old Dec 04, 2007, 03:17 AM
Alsace, France
Joined Sep 2007
148 Posts
Quote:
JM, take a look at the picture, don`t know how to explain it better, hehe:
Kim,

The water escape is at the level of the window or the level of the port-holes

Try to put a layer of varnished at the places which are not tight

Best would be to withdraw the port-holes and to remake the sealing. Then to pass by again a fine coat of paint
Old Dec 04, 2007, 10:59 AM
ir3
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Starting My Calypso

First let me start by saying that the builders on this site are incredible. The workmanship is fantastic and the willingness to share ideas is most heartening. I find this not an easy kit to get started. The plywood for the motor mount that goes in the bottom of the hull was warped and was very difficult to get straight. I should have gotten some good marine plywood from the hobby shop and cut new pieces. The hull has a slight twist in it but I think I can get this out when I put on the main deck. The stiffeners that I saw some of you use looks like a great idea and I will do the same. This will help keep the hull in line I am sure.

At present I am dealing with putting in the first layer of electronics. I have a set of Speed 400's that will be installed with no gear reduction. I plan on two batteries, one for each motor with Graupner Micro Speed 10 ESC's. They are the centering type and will allow reversing of the motors. I have the ACE Nautical Commander Gold, so I think the setup will work out very nice. I do not have any plans at the moment for animation, although the lighting sounds great.

My first of many questions that will follow.

Once the motors are mounted can I put the deck on without too much hassle later on putting in the electronics. Also, I notice that the main cabin is removable in most of the pictures that I see. I have not taken a real good look at the rigging plan as of yet, but is the removable cabing going to cause any problems with the rigging?

The thread is overwhelming and so any help would be desired even if it is repetitious or perhaps refering to several posts would be good. Looking forward to being part of the discussion.

Thanks in advance,

Iran Ausley
ir3 is offline Find More Posts by ir3
Old Dec 05, 2007, 01:05 AM
Alsace, France
Joined Sep 2007
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir3
First let me start by saying that the builders on this site are incredible. The workmanship is fantastic and the willingness to share ideas is most heartening. I find this not an easy kit to get started. The plywood for the motor mount that goes in the bottom of the hull was warped and was very difficult to get straight. I should have gotten some good marine plywood from the hobby shop and cut new pieces. The hull has a slight twist in it but I think I can get this out when I put on the main deck. The stiffeners that I saw some of you use looks like a great idea and I will do the same. This will help keep the hull in line I am sure.

At present I am dealing with putting in the first layer of electronics. I have a set of Speed 400's that will be installed with no gear reduction. I plan on two batteries, one for each motor with Graupner Micro Speed 10 ESC's. They are the centering type and will allow reversing of the motors. I have the ACE Nautical Commander Gold, so I think the setup will work out very nice. I do not have any plans at the moment for animation, although the lighting sounds great.

My first of many questions that will follow.

Once the motors are mounted can I put the deck on without too much hassle later on putting in the electronics. Also, I notice that the main cabin is removable in most of the pictures that I see. I have not taken a real good look at the rigging plan as of yet, but is the removable cabing going to cause any problems with the rigging?

The thread is overwhelming and so any help would be desired even if it is repetitious or perhaps refering to several posts would be good. Looking forward to being part of the discussion.

Thanks in advance,

Iran Ausley
Welcome Iran !

Jmarc
Old Dec 05, 2007, 05:01 PM
Bergen, Norway
Joined Apr 2007
55 Posts
Welcome Iran!! This thread and the people behind it is just fantastic! Their nowledge and ideas has no end. I`m sure your model of Calypso will be safely assembled with your handcraft and good, detailed help and hints from this thread.

I mounted my engines and all the electronic equipment AFTER 1st deck was completed. (After the model was finished in fact, but that was the first time. If you have seen it, page 26 in this thread, my model is now under total rehab. I think I will mount all the RC equipment BEFORE this time...)

But you can sure mount them before as well. No secret that the access is a lot easier that way. Your choice.

To anyone; I`ll post a picture of my hull. This one have a little sharper quality than the previous pics. Hope you like the work. Question that is hard to describe; I need to drill out the portholes in the bulb. Inside, I already have mounted a superbright lightbulb; HOW do I get the portholes to be waterproof/tight. I need to get the light flash out (of the holes) and of course prevent water from entering thru the portholes in the bulb....??
Last edited by Kim79; Dec 05, 2007 at 06:39 PM.