HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2004, 11:20 AM
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Build Questions about Easy Star

I got the Easy Star! I'm impressed on how well design the kit is -lots of attention to detail and good instructions. It seems like a very straight forward build but because I'm really green at this (first build project) I have some questions.

Here's the first batch. All about servos.

SERVO MOUNTING
I have JR submicro servos. The submicros are too small for the servo cavities on the sides of the fuselage. Should I get different servos or just cushion them with foam and double-sided tape until they fit snuggly?

SERVO TORQUE
Should I get different servos because of torque issues? The Easy Star seems like park flyer caliber in terms of torque needs but I'm not sure.
I prefer not have to buy new servos for the obvious monetary reasons but I wouldn't be opposed if it's the best thing to do.

RECEIVER
If the right thing is to install larger servos, do I need to change the receiver? In my mind, it's clearly unnecessary but I'm not 100% certain and would like a confirmation.

Thanks!

DaGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2004, 06:33 PM
lukeselectric-rc
Blackpool, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Mar 2004
661 Posts
im not completely sure about the servos but id take a guess at them being fine,wait for another reply to that,

but you wont have to get a new reciever for new servos.

luke
luke15 is offline Find More Posts by luke15
Old Oct 03, 2004, 09:38 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Servo's are fine. Best way to mount them is to screw them to a piece of 1/8 ply CA'd to back of the servo cut out (side mount the servo's). Any rcvr will work OK. A full size rcvr helps to more easily balance the plane.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old Oct 04, 2004, 11:58 PM
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I actually bought a couple of Hitech Hi-81's. These fit just fine and I'll save the sub micros for a future plane.

Now back to the build process. I noticed that the instructions do not say anything about cutting the rudder and elevators. They can't move unless I cut them off. I was just about to do this but then I thought about getting some feedback from you guys. The fact the instructions are so clear for everything else is what makes me wonder about my surgical intentions.
Old Oct 05, 2004, 12:20 AM
zed
Singapore
Joined Apr 2004
321 Posts
I'm buying the easystar as well. What is the best way to secure the motor? Glue? Double-side tape?

Zed
zed is offline Find More Posts by zed
Old Oct 05, 2004, 12:31 AM
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Unlike the cutting of the control surfaces, the motor mounting is covered pretty well in the instructions. I glued it with slow CA. Make sure it doesn't get inside the motor.
Old Oct 05, 2004, 06:38 AM
Well rested user
Amsterdam
Joined Sep 2004
179 Posts
For more tips,

Procede to the foamies forum.
The biggest Thread ever on here is about the Easystar!
Plenty of people to help!

And yes, you have to cut the rudder and elevator loose!

PJ
Peekes is offline Find More Posts by Peekes
Old Oct 05, 2004, 11:09 PM
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Yeah, saw those threads... I would need a whole day off from work to read all of it :-)

I'll post there to keep the tradition going.