SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2004, 02:43 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Lipos left for few weeks, now have low runtime!?!?!?

Hi, I am using kokam 2S 1500 in my micro heli, charged by an apache 1215.
Anyway, I normally charge my batts a few hours after i have run them down, so i can use it the next day without having to wait. Anyway, a few weeks ago(like 2 or 3 weeks ago) I had them all charged up, and then i found the motor in my heli was busted. So all the while when i was waitning for the parts to arrive, and find time to fix the heli, my batts were fully chaged.
So, about 3 days ago, I got my heli back up and running, but im finding that my runtimes have been reduced from about 15 minutes to probably less than three. I dont think its the motor drawing more current, becuase my throttle stick for hovering is still about the same.
I know the packs are running out, becuase I have a 2 cell lipo warning chip thingy, and after about 30 seconds flying, it starts flashing, then it becomes constant, so i land it after like 2 minutes. This low runtime is happening every time i use the packs, and ive charged them about twice each ( I have three lipos)
Its also strange becuase its not just one battery messing up, its all three, but im almost certain it is the batteries.

So, all Im wonderign is if there is something up with my batteries, or if they will be revived with time, and get back to thier normal state. Anyone had any experiences like this before? Do you think i would be able to return them to lightflightrc, which is where i bought them from?

I just hope these arent now dead, as i really like them..

Thanks a lot, Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2004, 03:13 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
588 Posts
See if you can take them back to the LHS you bought them at and see if they don't have some technical guy there that would also possibly recharge them using their own charger. Even if you did not buy them there, I am sure they will look at what the problem may be and would jump at the chance to replace your problem with something. Perhaps it's one or another battery in the chain that is bad, causing the fail light thingy to go on. I read i some other post that if that's the case, test it using a tester individually, then carefully recharge each cell individually and then recharge the pack in it's together state. Good luck.
pkrska is offline Find More Posts by pkrska
Old Oct 01, 2004, 03:18 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,721 Posts
It doesn't seem likely at all that all 3 of your battery packs would suddenly go bad in exactly the same way. It seems much more likely that your 2 cell lipo warning chip thingy went bad. Do you still have good power when your 2 cell lipo warning chip thingy starts flashing?

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Oct 01, 2004, 03:31 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Thats the thing. When my batts were fine, the servos going jittery, and the lipo light coming on were a sign of the batts running low. This is the same happening now, so i dont think the chip is bad.
Also, I am in the UK, and i bought them from lightflight RC, which is in the US, but i mmight justtalke them to my LHS, and see if they can sort it out, if not, i will send the batts back.

Duane
Old Oct 01, 2004, 04:00 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,111 Posts
The other possibility is that your system is drawing more current than before. Friction? Binding? With 30 years in the failure analysis business, the first place we would look at is the thing that was changed -- the motor.

Like Dan says, all 3 acting the same way, maybe but kind of unlikely. Perhaps a 7.2V motor was replaced with a 6V motor. Look identical but the amp draw is different.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 01, 2004, 05:08 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Well I dont know, the old motor that buisted, is identicl to the one that i replaced it with, graupner speed 300 6V, and i bought them both from the same place.
Yeah, there might be binding, ill have a look, but then the throttle stick would have to be higher wouldnt it, and as isaid before, it is the same for hovering as before.

Duane
Old Oct 01, 2004, 06:54 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,111 Posts
Right, copied that part of your message but it ain't working like it did before so something has changed. Don't assume anything or you could be missing the culprit.

I assume you have no way of checking the mah into a discharged battery, the current draw of the motor, or the battery voltage before and after charging...is that correct?
Old Oct 01, 2004, 07:25 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,601 Posts
One word - Whattmeter.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Oct 01, 2004, 07:33 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
.......and then i found the motor in my heli was busted. So all the while when i was waiting for the parts to arrive, and find time to fix the heli, my batts were fully chaged.

So, about 3 days ago, I got my heli back up and running, but im finding that my runtimes have been reduced from about 15 minutes to probably less than three. I dont think its the motor drawing more current, because my throttle stick for hovering is still about the same.
So, you changed your motor, and sudenly three packs went bad....?

In my schooldays, theheadmaster would have come down and slapped me rounfd the head and yelled 'what is that thing between your ears for. Think Boy.! Use your intelligence'

Whicjh is more likley?

Three packs suddenly going bad, or something like a high resistance joint in the wiring post motor change?

Or was it the high resistance joint that made the last motor appear 'bad'

get a voltemeter on those packs on and off load.

Check the packs, then the voltage the other side of the conector to the ESC..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 01, 2004, 07:58 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,721 Posts
The most likely cause of your problem will be
battery connectors (what kind of connectors are you using?)
the new motor
the speed controller
binding caused by misadjustment of the new motor
the charger

In order to completely run the batteries down in 3 minutes from a full charge, your system would have to be drawing over 25 amps. If it was drawing that much, the motor wouldn't make it even 1 flight. Are the batteries hot after a flight-much hotter than before?

The last thing I would suspect is the batteries.
Leaving your batteries charged for 2-3 weeks won't hurt them. I don't think it's at all likely that there is anything wrong with them. If you were getting 15 minute out of them before, it isn't likely that you damaged them from high current, since the average current draw would have been about 6 amps, and the batteries are rated for 12 amps continuous, 15 amps intermittents.

When graupner 300 motors burn out the brushes sometimes short together, and that may have caused a problem with the speed controller, connectors, or something else.

You need at least a voltmeter to troubleshoot this problem, and you really should have a whattmeter or equivalent if you are going to run lipolys anyway.

Forgive me if this post rambled a bit. I kept coming up with new thoughts as I was typing.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Oct 01, 2004, 08:50 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Speed 300 brushed motors work well only for a short while, then they either completely quit or work intermittently.

The armature can easily be burnt from an overload
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Oct 02, 2004, 06:03 AM
Kent, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
2 Posts
Maybe the charger has failed or is incorrectly configured and you aren't getting a full charge.... this is common to all three sets of batteries.
Dick Fowler is offline Find More Posts by Dick Fowler
Old Oct 02, 2004, 08:38 AM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Thanks for all the help and replies.
Im going to have a chat with the 'clever guy' at the place where I bought the motor from, and see what he has to say, and then maybe send the motor back to him so he can see if its OK.
Meanwhile, please continue posting help, tips and ideas that may help me.

Thanks a lot, Duane
Old Oct 03, 2004, 04:27 AM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
bump...
Old Oct 03, 2004, 10:18 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,111 Posts
Why are you bumping? What answer would you like?