HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2004, 12:05 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Bud Nosen kits "collectable"?

I see that A&A hasn't sold any of the Nosen kits on Ebay (their new home for all Nosen kit sales) for quite a while.
It's looking like A&A might have gotten out of the kit business, and I see where the plans only for a 1/4 Nosen Champ is bid at better than $30 for JUST the plans when the whole kit used to sell recently for around $80.

I wonder what the deal is?

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2004, 07:35 PM
MR>ED
United States, TN, Sweetwater
Joined Nov 2003
43 Posts
Highflight: The reason people only want the plans is because the kits aren't worth a dang. I have had several nosen kits, and i have a Mr Mulligan right now, Most of the parts never match the plans and you have to make new ones anyhow. Try to sell a kit and you will find out that most of the time you will have to beg people to take it. Ed
MR>ED is offline Find More Posts by MR>ED
Old Oct 04, 2004, 08:55 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Well if that's the case, it may be appropriate that A&A Industries "goes quietly into that good night".

Highflight
Old Oct 04, 2004, 03:13 PM
MR>ED
Joined Nov 2003
43 Posts
Bud Nosen

Highflight:It's a shame Bud Nosen gets such a bad rap for A&A sloppy work. When Nosen produced the kits, the wood was better, and the parts were a lot closer to matching the plans. The sad thing is once you changed the bad wood and made new parts, the airplanes really fly nice. Ed
Old Oct 04, 2004, 03:54 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR>ED
Highflight:It's a shame Bud Nosen gets such a bad rap for A&A sloppy work. When Nosen produced the kits, the wood was better, and the parts were a lot closer to matching the plans. The sad thing is once you changed the bad wood and made new parts, the airplanes really fly nice. Ed
That's why I was careful and deliberate to say "A&A Industries" in the preceding note.
I've built several of the giant size Nosen kits including three Citabrias, a Champ, and a Gere Sport. All fly great.
Even with the poor quality of the A&A produced kits, I have always been a big proponent of them because for quite a while, there just wasn't any cheaper way to get into true giant scale.

The two problems with the Nosen designed/A&A produced kits today is both the kit quality (from A&A) and the lack of true scale (from Bud Nosen). Even if the quality of kits were to improve, there are too may really good scale models available to justify bringing back the Nosen design kits in any large production.

That's too bad because they'll be missed by us old guys who cut our teeth on giant scale with the Nosen kits. Even though they will probably never be truly collectable, it might be a good idea for some of us who remember the designs fondly to pick up one of the kits that occasionally come up on Ebay from individuals. Then we can build one last Nosen kit before we drop dead from balsa dust infestation of the lung.

Highflight
Old Oct 05, 2004, 04:24 AM
MR>ED
Joined Nov 2003
43 Posts
Nosen

Highflight: Well spoken, i bought a Nosen Mr. Mulligan at Perry,Ga this year that a guy had framed up the fuselage and wings. This is all he had, he had lost the rest of the kit when he moved. you wouldn't have thought it was a Nosen kit.He thought it was an Ikon-nWest kit, so i ordered a kit to duplicate the rest of the parts. Dumb me, should have measured the wing span. Now, i had to buy a Nosen kit to finish it, therefore i now have three Mulligans. Ikon-n-west has to be one of the prettiest scale kits i have had in a long time.

Lately, i have been buying ARF's and stripping them,modifying and recovering them to suit me.Some of the ARF,S are unbeliveable how good they are built. Ed
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:56 PM
Crash-a-holic
Medford, MA, United States
Joined Sep 2004
235 Posts
My first "big" RC plane was an original Norsen P-51.

Loved that plane, parts were perfect, and matched the plans to a T. The best part of the kit though was the canopy in my opinion...

I loved the hell outta that plane... Lasted a good 10 flights before something went wrong and it did a nice dive from about 200 feet into a parking lot... NOTHING was salvagable from that... including the radio that was a small fortune in it's day...
Evil_Merlin is offline Find More Posts by Evil_Merlin
Old Nov 02, 2004, 07:06 PM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2004
372 Posts
I love my Nosen 1o1" Big Stik that my Pop scratch built 20 some years ago. I still have the plane , flew her this year with a G-62. I still have an original set of plans for the Stik and the P-51 , and a few others. My Pop loved scratch building and most of the time he just bought the the plans. Sometimes someone in his old club would buy a kit, finish it , and give my Pop the plans and he would pop out a few.

He built a lot of Bud's Big Stik's for the club members. GReat airplanes and if I ever see an original kit I would be tempted to bid on it.
VBSuperMaxx is offline Find More Posts by VBSuperMaxx
Old Nov 03, 2004, 12:06 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
I just picked up on a framed up Nosen Citabria at a swap meet for $50 even though I already have 2 of the same unopened kits.

I guess you can't have too many Citabrias.

Highflight
Old Nov 06, 2004, 11:57 AM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
512 Posts
Hey guys, I have a question....
I've got a Mr. Mulligan that I framed up about twenty years ago and never finished, what engine do y'all recommend for it?
Oh yeah, should I double up on the tail feather servos as opposed to the original specs?

Thanks, Jim
mosquitowings is offline Find More Posts by mosquitowings
Old Nov 06, 2004, 06:17 PM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2004
372 Posts
My buddy has a Mulligan with a G62 in it ...it blasts around. But, he doesn't like it, the plane that is. i think it flew OK, but he said he didn;t like the slow flight on it.

He was turning a 22 6-10 at 7200 and it ripped, I only run a 20-8-14 on my G62 .
VBSuperMaxx is offline Find More Posts by VBSuperMaxx
Old Nov 09, 2004, 12:37 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
The Mulligan is virtually identical to the Citabria and Champ as far as weight and flight characteristics so a Q-42 class engine is still the best choice.

As far as the tail feathers, I'd leave them as designed and built, but would definitely add functional tailwires.

Highflight