HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:41 AM
teaching others to fly
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Joined Dec 2004
198 Posts
Well, I taped up the nose of it, and took it out again...wind was a little lighter than when I stopped yesterday, so I flew it for a little bit. I had it up in the air for like 5 minutes, keeping things rather slow and close, though when the wind was affecting it, I went to WOT, and it flew just fine. I was going to do a loop, but chickened out because when I got over the trees, there was more wind. So I just flew it around me in circles and let her fly out a little bit. When the wind was picking up a little more, I tried to bring her in closer doing some nap of the earth, and it flew just fine, until I bumped the down elevator...I caught it before it got too low, and I killed the power before it hit. It just did a half cartwheel and stopped....no visible damage. I then decided to fly it again, this time it went fine, but it had a slightly harder landing...so it broke the prop and one wing tip....good thing I cut more out of my other wing.

Now I'm gonna fix it and get it ready for the next nice day (supposed to be windy through Thursday when I'm not at work...afterall, I have work and class tomorrow, so it's a long day anyway).

Has anyone tried one of the "slofly" wings?? I kinda wanna try one of those too.
Dulie is offline Find More Posts by Dulie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:11 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Dulie's Hooked
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Feb 15, 2005, 09:53 PM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
The Slo-fly Wings are great. I have the 42" and the 28", both lots of fun. If I could only get my taping to stick smoother. I've got a jerbear ready to go but there is too much snow on the ground.
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:14 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
I received my Slofly 43 inch electric but haven't started building it yet. Still waiting on my electronics to show up.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:28 PM
ewo
Spencer In.USA
Joined Oct 2003
4,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Dulie's Hooked

No dought
ewo
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo
Old Feb 16, 2005, 09:20 AM
teaching others to fly
Joined Dec 2004
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebuchadnezzar
I've got a jerbear ready to go but there is too much snow on the ground.
hey, just remember that the snow gives a softer landing....if you land it right

I always flew my MicroFlyer by WattAge when there was snow on the ground....though the most snow we had this year was like 3 inches....if that at one time.

thanks for the suggestion of the SloFly
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:02 PM
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
173 Posts
I have been working on JSW and came to the point of linkage and deciding componets location. I want to use Kokam-1500-2s, and total AUW became 7.1Oz (200gram) and only I can get a correct CG (5.5 inch from LE) when I locate Li-po in the middle. Is 7.1Oz AUW is too heavy for jonson250 + GWS3x3 ? I have painted Delta Ceramcoat and Minwax.
Components: johnson250 (DCM-189), GWS3x3, Bluebird 10A ESC, Microscream, GWS-R4, 2 x GWS-PICO.
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:27 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
lovefool

my wing weighs 4.4 oz. i run irate 830's which weigh 1.4 oz .... so total weight ready to fly is 5.8 oz. it is very snappy at that weight.
i believe Gene Bond and some others have used 1200's ok.
don't know if you are too heavy or not ..... give it a try. i would definetly give it a healthy launch toss.

jer
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:04 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Those 1500's are heavy suckers, one of the reasons I haven't bought any yet... I can parallel 830's and come out lighter (and more powerful)...

Don't sweat it, though, it should still fly fine. I flew my Mini Speed Wing 250 clone at over 8.5oz in 15mph wind It's no floater, but the penetration is great!

If the pack needs to go in the middle to balance, then do it. NBD. We had to do some crazy layouts on some of the deltas we flew this summer for them to balance, huh Jer?

BTW, jer, check out my pics from this afternoon down at the school, over in the DPF thread
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:12 PM
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
173 Posts
jerbear & Gene - thank you for your quick response.

I weighed my wings w/o battery, and it is about 4.4Oz (120gram). And Kokam-1500-2s weighs 2.8Oz.....I will find a good place to locate components, and give a try.
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool
Old Feb 20, 2005, 02:46 AM
Farfromloopin'
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jun 2002
204 Posts
Too windy here to maiden the JSW so I decided to dress it up a little.
I also started building a flat plate wing version of the Insulator.\The other plane in the second image is my Shrike knockoff built off of the universal fuselage. I call it the UF-VS1 or The Voodooshriek.
Here's a link to the thread, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148981 I don't know anybody else ever built one.
voodoosoup is offline Find More Posts by voodoosoup
Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:29 AM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
voodoosoup

i have a insulator also ..... used a slight bit of dihedral on that one too.
good luck with the maiden.

jer
Old Feb 21, 2005, 05:07 PM
teaching others to fly
Joined Dec 2004
198 Posts
Are there any changes needed if you happen to use pink fanfold?? 1/4" pink fanfold that is. I actually found some in town, so I bought it.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:37 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
dulie

no changes ..... it's just somewhat heavier.

jer
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:06 PM
teaching others to fly
Joined Dec 2004
198 Posts
sounds good, now I'm gonna get in touch with my more feminine side :P
Closed Thread