Just build the thing and have fun

ewo
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2004, 01:27 AM
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
I might give this a try with the EDP-50 DD and either 3x2 or 3x3 prop. Any suggestions? Has anyone done this, and what kind of AUW is recommended? I would use a Kokam 2s1p 340mAh pack.

Is this an extremely fast flier? I'm not looking for very fast, just simple and easy to fly.
stjobs is offline Find More Posts by stjobs
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:36 AM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
stjobs

check out post # 30 on page 2 i believe
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Oct 18, 2004, 04:55 PM
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
Post 30 is a guy using an EDF unit... probably less thrust than an IPS motor run DD (EDP-50XC) with either 3x2 or 3x3 could provide.

I'm going to give it a try, will report later.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 07:24 PM
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
Hm... I put it together per the plans. AUW with 340mAh Kokams was 4 oz exactly. It felt like it had enough "pull" (or push, in this case) to fly. I brought it up to about half throttle and gave it a toss. Immediate nose over into the ground. I was flying over grass and the plane is light, so there was no damage other than the battery popping loose (I had it taped on).

Is the CG on the plans correct? Before installing any gear, I did some test glides with the plane, and with the CG at the spot in the plans it would nose over into the ground every time. I had to move it nearly 3/4" back to get it to glide well. Once I did that, the glide was fine. However, when I added the gear, I put the battery right at the nose. CG was right on the plans. What can I do to get it to fly level? I tried increasing the elevator throws and giving max elevator up, which brought it from immediately nosing over to diving steeply then starting to level out before sliding along the ground.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:42 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
stjobs

my wing "ready to fly" including battery pack balances at 5 1/2 " from the LE of the wing. at this point, i can fly with 0 degrees in the elevons. most wings need a little up in the elevons to fly right. i have a small length of popsicle stick under the rear
(prop. side of the motor) this accomplishes the same thing, only w/o the need to have the up in the elevons. normal launch with this wing is a good slightly upward toss with power off (this is why i have a 2" length of 3/8" motor stick taped to the bottom ... so i have something to hold to get a good toss) as soon as the toss is completed - i give full throttle to gain altitude.
i would re-check the cg and do what is necessary to get it at the 5 1/2" mark. then i would try to find some high grass or tall weeds and squat (sit/kneel) whatever - just do not stand and with the battery in, give it a medium toss at a slight upward angle and see if it goes fairly straight. not immeadiatly up or down. you will still be able to adjust elevons if you need to.
hope this helps.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:57 PM
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
I wasn't aware the elevons had to be up as the neutral position - I will give this a try. I didn't angle the motor like you describe, but wouldn't that only affect it under power? I think my elevons would have to be at a drastic angle to get it to glide with the CG at the spot in the plans. Will report back.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:19 PM
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
Update: the CG in the plans I downloaded indicates it at 4 1/2" back from the LE! At 5 1/2" where you describe, it glides well. This is where I had been balancing it.

I downloaded "Simple Wing - All.pdf". I'm fairly certain my printer had it at 100% scale and so on, as the wingspan measures exactly 24". The CG is at 4 1/2", though. Has anyone used this CG successfully?

You might want to check the plans. The dimension even says 5.5" to where the CG is marked, but it's actually 4.5". Hopefully it will fly well now - just have to wait for daylight.

Also, with the lighter GWS IPS A motor run DD, my equipment has to be pushed far back. It would never balance with the battery under the nose. I have it underneath, about where the bamboo skewer is. I will work out some kind of foam plate under that for protection, or just fly over grass.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:57 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
stjobs

good luck with the next try. thanks for the update on plans ... i will see if gene can fix it.

buzz

i have a couple of deltas .... both have a slight amount of dihedral
Last edited by jerbear; Oct 18, 2004 at 09:58 PM. Reason: add info
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:27 PM
ewo
Spencer In.USA
Joined Oct 2003
4,547 Posts
jerbear

dont try to fix it cause it aint broke!!!!!!

Every body builds differently 1/8" here and 1/4" there
Motor further forward or further back, even a little makes a difference

Mine balances exactly 5 3/4" from the nose and its just slightly nose heavy, verry slightly

i cant stress enough how important it is to do glide tests on every build IMOHO

balance for the best glide balance point, then move that forward 1/4 to 3/8" for powered flight

it works every time for me

ewo

Ps
I didnt build mine from the pdf,s
I used the demintions on the picture from the first post
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo
Last edited by ewo; Oct 18, 2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:44 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
ewo

good advice .... it seems everyone has their own way .... online cg calculators,
hanging balance devices, and gut instincts. yours is the same as gpw's and it sure has served him well also. the amazing thing to me is that this wing is not as cg sensitive as many other models i have built ?? .... go figure !!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 01:27 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I see the mistake. The 5.5" was marked from the original nose, before I chopped it off. Here's a corrected screenshot. I'll fix the drawings later....
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Last edited by Gene Bond; Oct 19, 2004 at 01:36 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:34 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,192 Posts
Jbear ... I love the wing !!!!... it epitomizes the the FUN/Simple aspect of Foam Flying ...I hope we can encourage you to do more "simple" projects ....????? !!!!!!!!
EWO...Test glides !!! I hear ya'!!! Very important .....that's two HO's.... humble opinions , of course ...hahahahahaha
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:42 AM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
gpw

could be ! from simple minds come simple plans !!!
and i graciously accept any comments from the " blue foam master"
look forward to hearing you built and flew one !
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:46 AM
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
"I see the mistake. The 5.5" was marked from the original nose, before I chopped it off. Here's a corrected screenshot. I'll fix the drawings later.."

That's more like it I will test fly it today.
Closed Thread