HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 27, 2004, 09:32 AM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
992 Posts
First Wing.

Hey guys. I'm planning to build this as my first wing. I have pretty much everything I need to build it (thanks balsapr) except for, ofcourse, FFF. However, I do have 2 sheets of 2mm depron. I don't think I have enough for 3 layers (6mm), do you guys think 4mm would be enough?

I can't wait till someone starts selling sheets of FFF online...
hint hint balsapr.

Thanks.
weather_man is offline Find More Posts by weather_man
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:04 AM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
weatherman

bluecor is approx. 6 mm ...... you may be ok if you add some tape re-enforcement.
i do not think you can slit depron and crack it part way - so you probably need to carefully bend the dihedral in, then support it the same as we do.
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Oct 27, 2004, 02:14 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,202 Posts
j/bear .... What is your Amp draw with the j250 and 3x3 ...??? I' want to use a DCM-189/3x3 (with the flux ring)on the new wing (yeah !!I'm building one!!! it's just too cool to pass UP)...can I use my GWS 5A esc????
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 27, 2004, 02:32 PM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
gpw--- that's what I'm running on my 43" slofly wing and no trouble with it so far. 4025 prop was recommended but no one seems to have them in stock. (I do want to build jerbear wing soon, but got the slofly 43 and 28 just before this thread popped up)
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Oct 27, 2004, 05:02 PM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
498 Posts
Horton ! New Horton ! I've seen the previews, when's the full deal coming out, GPW
pcaffeldt is offline Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Old Oct 27, 2004, 07:31 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,202 Posts
Neb... thanks for the info.... so many projects, eh?
Pcca...Well it flies great for what it's supposed to do .... go very slow and be stable without apparent fins....I've got to get a couple things out of the way ,and a trip to New Jersey soon ..... it'll be a couple weeks at best ..... I'll see if I can work on it in N.J....I'll start a thread when I get the plans done...wish me luck!!! Thanks!!!!!
Old Oct 28, 2004, 02:37 PM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
992 Posts
Depron Simple wing

Mr Jerbear, This is what I got done tonight. I have a couple of questions (for everyone); How do you think the 700mah lipos will do? Do you think that I should put cf rods on the LE, since the wing is 4mm of depron? It seems pretty sturdy, but maybe not sturdy enough. Also, I've never really used pusher props, on the gws 3x3- for this purpose- should the letters be inboard or outboard?
Thanks-excuse the paint scheme, I got a little carried away with the sharpies.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 05:49 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
gpw

sorry ... been away. i am using with no flux ring and 3x3. after long flights the motor is barely warm. i think it is drawing about 5/6 amps. i think you will be ok with the 5 amp esc.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 05:54 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Pusher Props/Carbon Fiber

WeatherMan: On the pusher props...the lettering should face the front of the
wing..to the nose...if the motor spins wrong..air flowing the wrong direction,
reverse the motor leads..this is for brushed setups..the Lipo's 700 will work for you on a johnson/dcm189 (3x3 prop)since they draw somewher around 5 amps wot, I used a 4x2.5 and it unloads and I can keep the current down to
about 4-5 amps while flying..Static is close to 7 amps...
plus/minus ...depends also on what the "c" discharge rating of the lipo's you have..if they or 10c would work fine..since you would have roughly 7amps plus/minus...On the carbon fiber...I do not have any experience..however,
depron is thin, and I think that it would flex a great deal without reinforcement of some sort..even bamboo skewers would work..Did you figure out how you are going to put some dihedral in this wing..each panel should have about 1" to improve performance (stability)...Nice looking wing by the way...

I did a nose dive in mine...from about 75' up straight in yesterday, lost it in
the setting sun...could not recover..crunched up the front, ejected the motor
mount from foam FFF...So I will fix it this evening...Great Flyer and Cheap fun.

BobFlyer
a
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
Last edited by BobFlyer; Oct 28, 2004 at 05:58 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 05:55 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear
gpw

sorry ... been away. i am using with no flux ring and 3x3. after long flights the motor is barely warm. i think it is drawing about 5/6 amps. i think you will be ok with the 5 amp esc.
Heck, Jer.... That's what you're using

Here's SLoper Steve's test data: http://www.slofly.com/planedb/motors...r=propdiameter
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Last edited by Gene Bond; Oct 28, 2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 05:56 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
weatherman

i think that is pretty cool sharpie art myself .... you can do it forever and add virtually no weight.
700 lipos should be fine
letters on gws props should always face forward (puller or pusher)
a skewer or carbon fibre rod across the middle will give it the rigidity it needs, but you may want to use tape/carbon rod/skewer (your choice) to protect the leading edge of the wing when landing.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 01:31 AM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
992 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to put the dihedral in. I was thinking about putting a 1" strip of strapping tape along the centerline at the bottom and then just bending it real carefully, then securing the whole thing with the skewer that goes across the middle of the wing. What do you guys think?

Oh yeah, and does it matter how I bend the dihedral? I know this is the "Simple Wing", but depron is proving to be not so simple in this case.
Thanks.
Last edited by weather_man; Oct 29, 2004 at 07:14 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 07:36 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,202 Posts
wow, did the flux ring make 1/2 Amp difference in the current draw????
Old Oct 29, 2004, 08:06 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
wow, did the flux ring make 1/2 Amp difference in the current draw????
Sounds about right...

The flux ring adds to the magnet strength of the field. Here's the effects:
- Higher efficiency
- Lower Kv (like about 1/2v less in the battery pack)
- Higher weight (1/4 oz)

In fact, I'm running the G4046 (Electronic Goldmine) in mine, since it's a little hotter motor. A hair faster and lower duration.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 29, 2004, 08:22 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,202 Posts
Wow!!! That's pretty cool !!!! Maybe I ought not to be in such a hurry to tear them off when I'm prepping one for a plane????? sometimes the extra weight might be helpfull too (noseweight)...Thanks,G/bond!!!!!
Closed Thread