HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2001, 04:00 PM
El Paso, Texas, USA
Joined May 2001
42 Posts
Super Sliver Sp400, Can you get one?????

There is a review of the Super Sliver SP400 on the front page of the E-Zone. The phone # is disconnected and the e-mail is no longer valid. Is this airplane available????

What would be a good first sport/pylon speed 400-600 airplane???? I would like to build it also.

FlyerGirl is offline Find More Posts by FlyerGirl
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2001, 08:37 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,947 Posts
I'm pretty sure Dave Campbell is still offering the Sliver. Sorry but I don't have contact info for him right now, but hopefully he'll surface.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old May 20, 2001, 09:33 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,335 Posts
FG, check out the e-flight mailing list-he frequents that list....

Good luck!

Steve McBride
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old May 20, 2001, 09:54 PM
El Paso, Texas, USA
Joined May 2001
42 Posts
Thanks Guys,

I am trying the suggestions.

Old May 21, 2001, 02:24 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
I seem to remember a post by Dave, referring to a 'move' so he may have a new phone and/or email coming soon. MKH
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old May 21, 2001, 04:23 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,150 Posts
I have one in stock for sale. I do beleive Dave has a couple in stock also.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old May 21, 2001, 05:17 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,296 Posts
Yep, I had to make a somewhat sudden move when my Girlfriend became ill about a month ago. There are a lot of things in the article that are no longer current as I submitted it early last year when I had just aquired the molds and didn't know how I wanted to sell the kits.

My Email address hasn't changed, it's still cdcampb@ismi.net, but the Ph. # is (248) 355-0351. I still don't have my computer online, a friend it fixing it until sometime this week. This means that I am not usually able to respond to emails same-day. I'm stuck mooching time off of her work laptop for now.

My shop is nearly set up and I am attempting to lay bodies up this week. I was paying someone else to make them for me so that I could do the wings, but now have it all in house so to speak. I need to get a different type of glue(West Systems 205 hardener only has a 9 min. pot life), not a problem, just will take a day or two. The first attempt ended up with two really nice (and useless!) fuse halves because the glue kicked off while I was trying to trim and join the seam!!!

I do have kits here, but they are all earmarked for Specialized Model Supply, so get ahold of Greg if you want one. I've arranged to ship them direct rather than ship a bunch of large boxes to him and then to you guys. These are all 1pc. Vac Bagged Wing kits and take about 10 hours to finish, all are built to NATS spec.

There should be more exciting news about the Sliver and a new airplane in the coming month!

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old May 21, 2001, 06:35 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
<<(West Systems 205 hardener only has a 9 min. pot life)>>

C'mon, Dave... you just need to learn to work faster! Just kidding, of course... the stuff I use usually gives me about 45 minutes to an hour to fiddle with it. Sometimes I wish it would go faster... s'pose I could always use a hairdrier.

anyway...

good luck!
David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old May 21, 2001, 09:50 PM
El Paso, Texas, USA
Joined May 2001
42 Posts
Hi guys,

The phone # at Specialized Model Supply is busy right now, the website only shows a picture of the Super Sliver.

Can you give me an idea of what the kit costs with non-bagged wings and also with bagged wings.

I am looking for the less costly version.

Thanks in advance.

Old May 22, 2001, 05:18 PM
Joined Dec 2000
1,296 Posts
The bodies have been made with HT212 in the past with a catylist that gives about 35 min. of working time. Pot life seems to be about 25. I can extend the working time of the glue in the molds by using a heat gun, but that's at the very end.

I found a source for HT-212, but might go with the German MGS resin because getting the HT-212 might mean taking a 1/2 day from work to go and pick it up on the other side of BFE!

Getting back to pot life, I prefer about 1/2 hour because that means that the glue is gummy when you join the molds. If it were watery, it would tend to get more voids and bubbled at the seam unless you babysat the molds until the glue kicked. Little fuselages are a pain in the behind to rub the seams down because there's not a lot of room for the tools. It's better to get all the goop and cloth in the mold and rub it down once and for good!

Dave
Old May 22, 2001, 05:38 PM
Joined Dec 2000
1,296 Posts
Flyergirl:

I did get your email last night-my email does work, I just didn't reply the same hour you sent it.

I am currently out of good quality bodies-all of the good bodies I have are already boxed and in kits. I have 3 dyed fuses that are seconds. These bodies are acceptable for normal kits, but couldn't be sold to customers that weren't going to paint their airframes. If you want one of these in a basic kit, I can do that.

Until I get glue, I don't have anything but the 4 Vac-bagged kits that I have here for Greg. I should be able to turn out bodies next week, depending on when I get the glue.

The Sliver's retail prices are $80 for a basic kit, and $135 for the same kit with a Vaccum bagged one piece wing. Shipping is $7.

It should also be noted that these are full kits now with all the wood and most of the hardware in the kits. The linkages are pre-bent and the instructions are now 21 pages long (twice as long as the set supplied to the Ezone reviewer) and are VERY detailed.

Flyergirl, if you can fly an aileron airplane with minimal dihedral, then the Sliver would be a great way into Sp400 pylon and will see you through your attempts at racing. It's better than anything else out there!

Look for a review in an upcomping Flying Models as well, probably month after next. There is a pic of the vac-bagged kit in this month's FM in the electric collumn.
Old May 22, 2001, 05:59 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Campbell:
I found a source for HT-212, but might go with the German MGS resin because getting the HT-212 might mean taking a 1/2 day from work to go and pick it up on the other side of BFE!Dave
I can recommend the MGS epoxy... it's excellent stuff. Probably the best I've ever used.

David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old May 24, 2001, 10:40 PM
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined May 2001
94 Posts
Hey Dave,

Hopefully you are checking this thread. I have sent 3 emails requesting an update on when my Sliver is shipping with no response.

A response would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Scott Johnson
Old May 25, 2001, 04:29 PM
Joined Dec 2000
1,296 Posts
Scott:

I am having problems with sending emails on the old computer. A coworker set Outlook up so that I get my email from my old ISMI account while my dial-up is from his DSL because my ISMI account is not a local call anymore for me. Ezone is also not allowing me to make discusson group postings from my old computer because of the server conflict. This posting is from my girlfriend's laptop that I used to make DG postings.

Allow me some time to figure out how Outlook works and get this ironed out. I've always been able to read the emails, but not respond. I thought that I was responding to emails via web2mail.com, but never got any error messages so I have been ignorant of the problems. You may have noticed that this thread started with someone not getting an email response, I responded the same night that she sent it....

I got all three of your emails but didn't know there was a problem until I got MY computer back night before last when Outlook showed a problem in it's dialog box.

I'll be gone Sat and most of Sun., but I did go and get the glue today(HT212). The above thread mentions me making a scrap body-yours. The emails I sent you iterated this, but you apparently didn't get them!

If you would send me an email with your phone number I'll gladly call you tonight(fri) or Sun night.

Sorry for the trouble!

Dave