HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 30, 2004, 06:14 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Multiplex Easy Star Thread 11 - The Next Generation

So, this is thread number 11 on flying the EasyStar, Life, the Universe and Everything.

I comes from thread 10 here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273201

Featuring:

Treetop, Splash99, Oldpilot, ZoomZoom, constantcrash, Loopy & Numb Thumbs, Hammer Head, TreeTrimmer and many, many wonderful others

with guest stars:

Jürgen Heilig (he is to blame for all of this), Tim Hooper, Patrick Plawner and a whole cast of visiting celebrities
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2004, 07:01 PM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
thank you, Joao
splash99 is offline Find More Posts by splash99
Old Sep 30, 2004, 07:05 PM
Central Colorado, USA
Joined Sep 2004
156 Posts
Hey...wow...brand new thread. Is this anything like virgin powder in ski season???

ZZ...did a bit of flying this morning on the old prop. Flew until I had a wee bit of rudder structural failure. THAT made for an interesting landing! Especially since it was almost too windy to fly anyway. The elapor under the rudder control horn sheared, leaving the rudder flapping in the breeze (during a hard turn, of course). So...the ol' EZ got it's "bird dog for the earth" act on and promptly headed pretty much straight down.

"Give me up elevator, Scotty...NOW!"

"I'm tryin' Cap'n....she's given every last bit o' up elevator she's got!!!"

"Scotty...why isn't the !^%!$#!@ rudder responding!!??"

....whump!

"...sorry Cap'n....I did everthin' I could!."

I suspect the elapor had been damaged in a prior "incident" and just didn't show. Picked a fine time to give up the ghost! "Ya picked a fine time to leave me Lucille...." (oh, wait - I never named the rudder Lucille).

Anyhow, all repaired. Winds have died down a bit. I've put on the prop adaptor and am going to give the APC prop a run. Assuming I can find a flying site with no ankle biters running around swinging big sticks or kicking at elusive soccer balls. Let you know how it runs on a stock 400.

And welcome to #11, all.
TreeTrimmer is offline Find More Posts by TreeTrimmer
Old Sep 30, 2004, 08:15 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2004
531 Posts

I just got my easy star last week, Flew it (or atleast tried) 3 timeS.

I'm getting a lot better, and it's becoming a lot more fun and less frustrating

Yesterday, I went to my little brother's school to fly the plane, they have a really big field. Got it up the first time for about 3 minutes, then I got a little confused with the controler and landed on the roof it was too high for me to get, so I went back home, got a long rope, and tied a shirt on the end. Threw it on the roof and kept doing that till the whole plane came down, took me 20 mins, but worth it.

Man, my Easy Star took a beating, cracked wing, bent nose ect. But everynight I "prep" it up, cleaned it, and fixed/ aligned everything last night, looks like it's new
STaNgXs is offline Find More Posts by STaNgXs
Last edited by STaNgXs; Sep 30, 2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 08:46 PM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
welcome to the club.
What you'r doing is called "breaking in" the ES
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:08 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Completely off-topic, these stars and bars were bought in Switzerland with Splash99.
Wingspan 1.5m (60"), 1.5 Kg (50 oz), RG-14 airfoil...
Almost ready.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:25 PM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
Why offtopic?
This is clearly a camouflaged ES
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:31 PM
Central Colorado, USA
Joined Sep 2004
156 Posts
Sweet looking Mustang, jcosta. Whatcha gonna power it up with?

And welcome, STaNgXs. You're gonna find flying the EZ is a load of fun. I've found this group to be a pretty helpful bunch, too. And a lot of fun. Good bunch of flyers - regardless of 'sperience level.

ZZ...just got back from running out 2 packs and the last of daylight. Used the APC 6x3 you sent. A marked improvment over the stock prop. Didn't do any metrics, but markedly better climb rate. I checked the motor/ESC/and battery pack heat right after the BEC cut the motor out. Ran a lot cooler than with the Gunther. I suspect swinging the 6x4 will yield better thrust at this altitude without stressing the power system. I'll likely try that tomorrow, weather permitting. And thanks again.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:33 PM
Central Colorado, USA
Joined Sep 2004
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash99
Why offtopic?
This is clearly a camouflaged ES
It's a EZ wannabe...yeah, that's it!
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:42 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTrimmer
Sweet looking Mustang, jcosta. Whatcha gonna power it up with?
Wind, gravity and hot air bubbles: it's a sloper!
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:02 PM
Central Colorado, USA
Joined Sep 2004
156 Posts
Heave Ho!!! Toss that puppy off the hill and let a group of EZs chase it around.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:33 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Tree Trimmer - Glad to hear the APC 6 x 3 ?? work well, I wasn't sure about that one. The bigger Master Air Screw I suspect will give you better climb yet, but work the motor and battery harder. Curious what you're going to think of the Slinger prop ?? Might not work as well at your higher nose bleed altittudes.

jcosta - That's a sweet looking ride, good luck with it.

Got mine wet today doing high speed taxi tests, no ROW yet........... Motor needs a little more up thrust and a small leak sealed in the rudder area. The geese didn't like it buzzing aound "their" pond Flying off of water adds a whole new dimension to things. No upside down water taxiing yet
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Last edited by Zoomzoom; Sep 30, 2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:47 PM
Central Colorado, USA
Joined Sep 2004
156 Posts
That's a good lookin bird, ZZ. How well does it respond to steering input on the water? Looks like it rides good and high. Did you come close to getting on step in the taxi runs? And heck, as long as the geese don't start pecking at it...give em heck!

I was thinking about using the Master Air Screw tonight, but opted to make one change instead of two so as to better isolate the differences in performance. The extra inch diameter of the APC worked pretty good, and it seems like a more efficient blade profile. I'm anxious to add the extra pitch of the Master Air Screw and see what happens. The 6x3 doesn't even hardly work the motor up here.

Oh...and you shoulda seen the prairie dogs diving for cover when the EZ started swooping their mounds! And NO rattle snakes!
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:59 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Tree Trimmer - You know that is true about the Easy. I have flushed stuff out of the weeds with the Easy, because critters must think it's a bird of prey or something. No other plane I fly seems to get the same reaction from the critters. Has anyone else seen this as well ??

I should have thrown in the Graupner 6 X 5 prop I had. That one might work better at your altittude.

The Donald taxied surpirsingly well. I was very impressed, it went exactly where I wanted it to. I was expecting the worst. It actually sits kind of low in the water, I guess they all do. I wasn't comfortable flying from the pond too close to two major roads and a lot of people milling around. Way too risky for a unknown plane and maiden. It was fun doing high speed taxiing just to the point of unsticking from the water.

I've flown in a lot tighter places with my trusty Easy Star though.
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Old Oct 01, 2004, 01:09 AM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
725 Posts
Touch and Goes

Loopy and I do "Touch and Goes" all the time with the EZ*'s. You have to have a good airspeed if you do actually "touch" or the grass will gettcha!

Sloping with EPP slopers - like Loopy and I were for 3 hours this morning! - our club members often peg a plastic shopping bag to the top of the slope and try to "touch n go" hitting the bag. One nutter in the club can actually "Loop to Land" on a plastic shopping bag. That is, do a loop and at the bottom, second time around, hit the bag and keep flying.

It is impressive to watch! But I am glad he does it with HIS plane!

Cheers

David

ZZ Come on, a bit more thrust and it will take off for sure, scattering ducks and geese in all directions! Maybe a 4s pack...

TT

My understanding is that:
more DIAMETER gives you more THRUST

more PITCH gives you a higher TOP SPEED

That correct??
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Closed Thread