SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2004, 10:26 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2004
531 Posts
Ok, Looks Like I'm Gana Need A New Radio For My TigerMoth, recommendations?

I will need a Radio, Mico reciever, and Servos...

Does anyone sell all those together?

if not, what radio? (nothing fancy, I doubt I will by flying anything but ParkFlyers)

what reciever?

and which Servos? GWS Pico, I was told...
STaNgXs is offline Find More Posts by STaNgXs
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:14 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Personally, I like the JR radios. You can get a very decent radio for it fairly cheap. The gws pico servos are correct and can be bought just about at any hobby store and the reciever you can go with could also be a gws reciever. I think it is the 4r or 4p, cant remember which one I got in mine. Make sure to get a programmable radio though and one capable of at least 4 channels. You will want to go with ailerons at some point =)

A programmable one will allow you to store a couple of planes in its memory so you dont have to retrim everything when you want to fly a different plane.

Everybody has their favorite radio so you are probably going to see alot of recommendations on those =)

DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Sep 30, 2004, 08:02 AM
How am I not myself?
Montréal, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
249 Posts
I have bought a JR XF421ex (5 ch. computer radio) and I am very please with it. It came with two 241 submicro servos which are very nice and a micro 6 channels receiver (full range!) which is also of very good quality and is reliable (I never had a glicht on it). This radio has its negative points though. 2 models memory, no dual rate, no exponential but it has Delta mix and Flaperon mode.

Here is an article by Stuart Grant on Smooth Air's web site (Transmitter article). He took the time to write up reviews on many popular radios on the market.

Samuel
Park_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Park_Pilot
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:33 AM
These go to eleven...
Hickory, NC
Joined Jan 2001
446 Posts
You could go with used stuff. You could really get some deals if you go 4 channel tx and nimh packs (7 cell, 300mah). I've used that setup in my TM for 3 years. Flies like a dream.

Funny that such a small foam plane is now legendary.
dstout is offline Find More Posts by dstout
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:45 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,583 Posts
spend the extra $$ and get an FMA M5 or Berg Micro Stamp2 RX. Light and reliable. Stay away from the Hitec Feather RX at all costs!!!
Transmitter choice depends on your prefrences and how many featues you are willing to pay for. The Hitec Flash 5x is a good mid range unit. There were also a couple of very good Airtronics RD6000 series transmitters for ~ $100 in the for sale section here.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:01 AM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,916 Posts
HiTec Feather is BAD.

I'd shop around for a HiTec 4-6 channel with mixing and expo/dual rates. That will get you most of the functions you will ever need. 6ch would be as far as you would need to go ever. Been very happy with all of the 4 HiTec txs I have owned.

I would then get a Berg rx - you won't be disappointed there - and some 9g servos from "all e rc"
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Sep 30, 2004, 06:54 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2004
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstout
You could go with used stuff. You could really get some deals if you go 4 channel tx and nimh packs (7 cell, 300mah). I've used that setup in my TM for 3 years. Flies like a dream.

Funny that such a small foam plane is now legendary.

4 channel TX? which one is that?
STaNgXs is offline Find More Posts by STaNgXs
Old Sep 30, 2004, 07:27 PM
How am I not myself?
Montréal, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
249 Posts
I think dstout just wanted to point out that you should buy a transmitter that has at least 4 channels and the fact that you can find some basic 4 channels TX for real cheap. You can fly your Tiger Moth with a 3 channel TX but you will probably need to upgrade your TX more rapidly than you think.

Samuel
Park_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Park_Pilot
Last edited by Park_Pilot; Sep 30, 2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 07:32 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,486 Posts
futaba 7C from buckers hobbies (sp.?) every thing your heart will want
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Oct 01, 2004, 09:19 AM
Dont get Lippy!
United States, AZ, Cottonwood
Joined Apr 2004
101 Posts
...If your like me...and want the "best"...and also "inexspensive" then yioull be MORE than happy with the Hitec Laser 4 radio. Its high quality 4-ch and ALSO has vtail mixing as well as elevon mixing(just in case you need). It also has the trainer/usb port as well as fully adjustable control sticks) for under $60!!!!
..as for the more expensive models with digital readouts...saving plane trims etc etc...its a waste of money...as you will always have to retrim foamies.
I have tried the GWS radios...and there junk(fall apart and not 100% accuarate)..aty least for me...but then again im clumsy and drop stuff alot...and the Laser 4 has already fell from 6 feet and works like its still brand new!!. I bought mine at allerc.com

~Kree
omni99 is offline Find More Posts by omni99
Old Oct 01, 2004, 09:45 AM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni99..
as for the more expensive models with digital readouts...saving plane trims etc etc...its a waste of money...as you will always have to retrim foamies.
Huhh...,?!
While a computer radio may be unnessessary right now, it will most likely (if you are anything like the "average" newcomer to this hobby) be something that you want later on.
I´ve never had any issues with having to retrim any of my planes, foamies or built up other than after a crash/rebuild, and can not imagine where THAT conclusion came from.

I´d say get the best radio you can afford, and if that includes a computer radio then definitely get one. Later on when you have 5-10 models ready to fly, you will be very greatful that you did. Trying to keep the trim-settings in your head for that many models will only lead to one thing, and that is a mixup. With a computerradio you just choose the memory for the model you´re going to fly, and you´re set to go.

I made the transition from a Focus 4 to a Flash 5 this spring, and let me tell you I am glad I did. Only problem is that the 5 available modelmemories on the Flash 5 are allready "overbooked", so that I have to have 2 or 3 models on a single memorie. So it looks like I´m going to get a more expensive radio once again. This time I will certainly not get anything with less than 10 memories.

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude