HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2004, 09:35 PM
Dive Bomber in Training
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Apr 2004
27 Posts
How do you put a new gear onto your motor??

I think it's too late for my brand new Himax, but I will ask this question for next time -
I have a gear puller and I pulled the 12 tooth gear off of my Himax motor. I was going to put a 16 tooth on it. I always figured that the puller would have some function to put the new gear back on. Wrong. After a bit of thinking I decided to tap the new gear on with a hammer. Looking back I can see my errors. 8^/
in my defense, the gears are brass and are press fit. I don't have a vice and couldn't think of anything else to use.
The last tap of the hammer bends the motor shaft. DOH!

What does everyone else use to press fit their brass gears onto the motor shafts? and AS important is there anything that I can do to salvage my brushless motor that has about 3 minutes of flying time on it? Do they sell just the shafts? This is my first brushless and cant afford to buy a new motor right now.
Bonsai Master is offline Find More Posts by Bonsai Master
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:41 PM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
Check with Maxx Products Inc the importer, I recall someone talking about getting a replacement shaft / armature for something reasonable like $15...
indybudd is offline Find More Posts by indybudd
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:45 PM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
may be not, what they have on their website is 60% of cost...

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/warranty.html#motor

I could swear someone was able to get replacement parts for them before...
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:49 PM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
Read this thread, and then call them.