Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 27, 2004, 07:06 PM
Nebraska
Joined Apr 2002
598 Posts
inline jet engines?

I found this picture in my son's National Geographic Kids magazine. It seems like inline jet engines (or ducted fans) would not be effective. Is this way out of line, or is it realistic?
stevem1928 is offline Find More Posts by stevem1928
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2004, 08:05 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
The idea of the full-scale is to sell an interest in the design... I believe I saw a long-ago early version at an air race at Mohave, about 1974.
The thing isn't really intended to be a real proposition.
Its intent is to make your money the designer's money.
The toy might work, as it doesn't use turbines.. but the full-scale... Nope!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:22 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Go here (the inventor's page) (http://www.moller.com/skycar/). There are pictures of it hovering under its own power on a tether. Do a google on 'skycar' and you will find a lot of pages...

And it DOES look cool...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:09 PM
Joined Dec 2003
795 Posts
This thing has been "almost ready to go" for the past 20+ years, but I dont think its ever gone beyond tetherd flight. I met the designer back in the mid eighties. He was very interesting to say the least.
robert harik is online now Find More Posts by robert harik
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:26 PM
Joined Dec 2003
795 Posts
Just looked at the web site, slick.
You got to say one thing about this guy , he is a salesman.
Reminds of somthing Barnum once said...
Old Sep 28, 2004, 01:22 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Hey, I never said I was ready to lay down any cash for one... I just pointed out that it gets off the ground by itself. That is more than can be said for a lot of our designs!
Old Sep 28, 2004, 01:35 AM
Joined Dec 2003
795 Posts
Mike , from reading your past posts I would never think of you as a sucker.
And it is a cool looking design.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:06 PM
Rat Dude
AZ
Joined Jun 2004
596 Posts
I'm voting for unrealistic - at least from a marketing prospective. I wouldn't want a computer flying me or children around. What happens when that computer locks up? And who's going to be able to afford the 1000 gallons of Jet A for that trip to Grandma's house? I'll buy an airline ticket or drive...and I'm betting that 99% of the rest of the population will as well. It's just like those other pilotless commercial aircraft that have been visualized for the past 20 years. Who in their right mind would crawl into an aircraft and let a computer take them somewhere with no pilot to save their sorry butts when things went wrong? And things will go wrong! Humans aren't infallable...but I'll take my chances with John Q. Pilot over silicon chips running Bill Gates software any day!
mwraight is offline Find More Posts by mwraight
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:31 AM
T-D-P-What?
Renton, WA
Joined Nov 2003
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwraight
Who in their right mind would crawl into an aircraft and let a computer take them somewhere...
Can you say Airbus?
Purdue Aero Man is offline Find More Posts by Purdue Aero Man
Old Sep 29, 2004, 01:35 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't want a computer flying me or children around.
That is exactly what you are doing everytime you get in any modern airliner. Do you actually believe the pilots wiggle the sticks other than getting to and lining up with the runway?
Old Sep 29, 2004, 02:03 AM
Rat Dude
AZ
Joined Jun 2004
596 Posts
Yes I can say Airbus...and I will not fly in them if I can avoid it. Too much reliance on the old computer for my tastes.

Mike - as a commercial pilot and a friend of many other pilots - yes I actually believe and know that the pilots wiggle the sticks. Usually autopilot is off from takeoff to 500' and 500' and below on landings. And an autopilot is a lot different from a computer controlling every aspect of the flight! You can always turn the autopilot off and fly the plane manually - but if you're relying totally on a computer to fly you around you're dealing with a horse of another color. I would want the sticks there just in case... Would you willingly put your life in the 'hands' of a computer? Not me, buddy. I've been around them enough to know that they aren't worth trusting that much too -- at least not yet! When they develop the failproof, lock proof, glitch proof computer, then I might change my mind.

Could you imagine being in one of those things and finding out some 12 year old punk put a virus in it?

I also believe fuel would be a major issue. Going 300 mph doesn't happen cheaply...especially with four big ole spinning things out there!
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:03 PM
I post, thread dies!
Georgetown, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2003
205 Posts
Not only Airbus, how about a F-16? , F-22?........ But those do have ejection seats!

Chuck...
cwesh is offline Find More Posts by cwesh
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:34 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
F-117. If the computers failed, it would be im[possible to fly.

Fly-by-wire controls that were simple (making it safer like the nighthawk) than a cessna's could let a average person take control in an emergency.

I do think fuel would be an issue, but planes are more effecient than cars at high speed when designed properly. Maybe 150 w/ props? An elec drive system would work using fuel cells (NASA has done it with a dymond twin).

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:38 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
How does it get such "amazing" effecienty (28 mpg ) without appreciable wings? It would make sense for a tilt rotor, but this seems to create lift with the ducted fans. Not very effecient.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:53 PM
Rat Dude
AZ
Joined Jun 2004
596 Posts
Now an ejection seat or a ballistic chute could change my mind. But I would definitely want a way out when that computer decided to do something crazy. Sitting there with no other means of safety would not feel good. I wouldn't let a computer drive my car either - all those crazy plans they've hatched for sensors in the road, etc. No thanks. I'll just put my hands on the wheel and do it myself. Maybe I'm a control freak? I just know, at this juncture in time, the human mind is far more stable an operating system than a computer!