SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2004, 05:14 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
ooooo.... LOTS of landings to tape that day...

oh yeah im in... watch your back

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2004, 08:57 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
joe, dont get too excited! I didnt know that it was an f3f race but I entered in the last one at white point and the freddy got smoked! those guys are flying 3 meter planes for a reason and those planes are set up soley to pylon race.I dont think the most experienced pilot could outrun those race planes with a blade,freddy,or any 60"er for that matter. BUT! there is a fun factor and Im sure you will have a good time. joe
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:07 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
oh yeah, its all in fun... i have no expectations... LOl.... well i expect to loose... haha

Joe
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:15 PM
ALL IN !
Carlsbad, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
2,786 Posts
JOe you stuck on 777 for a reason ? For the last 2 post's hmmmm thats scary.
Louied is offline Find More Posts by Louied
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:19 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
did I? lets see

JOe

edit- no.. it changed.... maybe that means i'll win and go to germany... LOL... (actually afraid to fly and wouldnt for all the planes in the world,lol)

JOe
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:24 PM
ALL IN !
Joined Feb 2004
2,786 Posts
Now both posts are on 778 man maybe its me lol
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:38 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
I am an AMA member and a rated pilot at Torrey Pines. I was flying with Bill Billington (gliderking.com) at Torrey Pines Glider Port on Wednesday and I think I might have caught the racing bug. Count me in. I am going to brig my Swallow (81 inch crunchy modified RG-15) and my Redback Epp (if I am scared of the landing area). I hope there is some good conditions tomarrow so I can dial in some of the new mixing I put in the radio (some good tips from Bob). Can't wait to see Fermin and these guys tear up the sky.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Oct 01, 2004, 12:54 AM
Retired Slope Racer
SoCal
Joined May 2003
2,540 Posts
Bill Billington (gliderking.com)? Ha ha, I think you mean Bob Bingham! LOL

Cheers,

NW
nwoods is offline Find More Posts by nwoods
Old Oct 01, 2004, 12:59 AM
Retired Slope Racer
SoCal
Joined May 2003
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor
joe, dont get too excited! I didnt know that it was an f3f race but I entered in the last one at white point and the freddy got smoked! those guys are flying 3 meter planes for a reason and those planes are set up soley to pylon race.I dont think the most experienced pilot could outrun those race planes with a blade,freddy,or any 60"er for that matter. BUT! there is a fun factor and Im sure you will have a good time. joe
Joe, actually we've had a few people resort to 60" planes due to damage and so forth, and properly set up and flown, they can do quite well, if the lift is medium light or less.

This year, Warren had to borrow my MiniBlade and got one of his fastest times of the day with it (and also a very exciting flight because High Rates were set on my tx LOL!)

Earlier, Alex N. had to use a MiniBlade I think (I wasn't there), and did well. In the past, I used a Nemesis once, and my old 60" Victor a few times. Heck, I even used a pristine Gulp SR at Parker in a race, got a nice thermal, and SMOKED the course. Got a standing ovation and everything.

The key is the amount of lift potential. As the lft increases, the bigger planes will leave the smaller ones in the dust. But in lighter lift, they have a fighting chance. THe TRICK to it though, is that those corners seem MUCH farther away with a 60" plane, and the small size of it makes it seem like it's moving faster than it is. F3F is a depth perception game, and using the smaller wings can mess you up.

Hope to see you out there some more. We are having another one next weekend too! (Oct 9th)

Cheers,

Nathan Woods
nwoods is offline Find More Posts by nwoods
Old Oct 01, 2004, 08:05 AM
PlaneCrazy
Central California
Joined Sep 2003
2,540 Posts
Louie
each time your number of posts change, it changes on all your posts.
jdcook54 is offline Find More Posts by jdcook54
Old Oct 01, 2004, 08:57 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,830 Posts
Right on djklien, have Ama card and you fly for free! Remember this is a working mans club also and at some points in time you have to go work a corner. This aint no thing, it also gives you a better sense of how to do it when you see a fast guy do it. Don't watch me, just give me a 10 foot window and everything will be fine(just kidding) I am asking that everyone be on time-before 11:45 and be ready when its your turn. That way we get in as many runs as possible, which results in a better take on how you really did in relation to everyone else. Pilot meeting at 11:55 race at noon. Concreteman
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Oct 01, 2004, 10:01 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
Awsome can anyone post directions from San Diego?
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Oct 01, 2004, 10:03 AM
ALL IN !
Joined Feb 2004
2,786 Posts
5 North, to the 73 (toll road, $3.00), Merges with the 405, head south on the 110, ends at Gaffey st, stay left on Gaffey, make right on 19th st, left on Western, left on Paseo Del mar, about two miles down on right side is point fermin
Old Oct 01, 2004, 12:37 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,803 Posts
As far as planes go. I flew my moth at one of the competitions at white point and had a great time. I certainly wasn't up to the same speeds as the big birds but is was none the less challenging. If I remember right my best time was about 72 sec. while the big birds were running in the low 60's upper 50's. not to bad for a wing. I had it fully ballasted and got a lot of pointers from the experts and had a great time.

By the way Concreteman I will be there to help out with the corners and to cheer you and the other on. See you on Sat.

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Oct 01, 2004, 12:38 PM
Huntington Beach, CA USA
Joined May 2002
221 Posts
Warren, you can add me to the list. Acacia II on Ch 54. I'll be there early to help setup.

Mike
slopejocky is offline Find More Posts by slopejocky