HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2004, 05:39 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
Flying over my back yard today.

Nothing sounds like a radial multi....I ran into my back yard to see what it was.
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2004, 05:40 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
B-17, and I don't have a clue where it came from. A B-25 flew over a few minutes later, but my camera wasn't readily available.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 05:43 PM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
The collier planes were in Jersey earlier this week. I bet it was them
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
Old Sep 25, 2004, 05:56 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
Nashua NH may have something going on.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 09:42 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
Mr. Jonas
I've had a similar experience. A car full of us were on our way to a model fly-in. For no real reason I looked out the car window only to see a B-17 overhead. It is a much greater thrill when it isn't expected. I've seen quite a few at air shows but you know they are there and while it is enjoyable it can't match the surprise of seeing one by chance.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:40 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
I would have had my wife man the flak 88 and I would have fired up my 190 and intercepted.
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:04 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytiger
I would have had my wife man the flak 88 and I would have fired up my 190 and intercepted.

Easy, Tiger!

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:34 AM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
I know where they're goin!

To the CAF AirShow 2004 in Midland/ Odessa Tx (I live in Midland)! It is next weekend, and planes are showing up. Ill be sure to post alot of good pics for you guys, I plan to be out there quite a bit again this year.
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:48 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
The CAF brings some planes to PDK, Dekalb Peachtree Airport for their open house every year. I grew up riding my bike to this place.

There is a DC-3 which someone hauls checks from here to Charlotte in, they keep two 55 gallon drums under each engine to catch the leaking oil while it is parked. it looks like it has a 1950s paint scheme, aluminum with some striping that used to be red, but is now faded to pink. I hear it fly over some nights around midnight and even though I can't see it, I know that sound. Makes me feel all warm and cozy inside. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Sep 26, 2004, 01:49 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Sep 2003
78 Posts
Hey Treetop,
I live in Cobb County north of PDK and would like to know what time of the year the airport has it's show\open house. I might like to go out there and check things out. Thanks for any information.
Jim
Jim Mack is offline Find More Posts by Jim Mack
Old Sep 26, 2004, 02:05 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Jim, Looks like we missed it this year, as I think it is in August. They have a website with some pictures of this years event, and it doesn't look like the CAF was there. tt

http://www.pdkairport.org/index.htm

The last one I went to had a bunch of 1/4 scale RC guys who were grounded because of wind, and a B 17, B 29, and some single engine wwII planes, plus a lot of vendors selling airplane stuff like hats, badges, medals, etc. Looks like it has changed from the pictures, but you could probably call them and ask what they usually have.

My wife and I saw the Blue Angels earlier this year, flying over our neighborhood, they must have been out at Dobbins AFB. Your neck of the woods. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Sep 26, 2004 at 02:09 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 07:59 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
We had an immaculate, original-trim PT-19 buzz the lake (arrowhead) yesterday - flew only a couple of hundred feet above the trees. My camera was in the car, however..

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 26, 2004, 08:17 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
they are, in fact, flying at Nashua. B-17, B-24, B-25, P-51, P-47, P-40....I'll be taking the boy today.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 08:54 AM
Joined Jun 2004
839 Posts
I saw a pair of what must be American F16's fly over head a few weeks ago.
They were quite low, and were going faster than the speed of sound, not sure if they should have been there, maby they got lost!!

(btw this was over east london)
Dogzilla is offline Find More Posts by Dogzilla
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:27 AM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
It's always awesome to see the "cool" planes fly overhead. If you're ever near Rapid City, South Dakota, Make sure to drive east on Interstate 90 to Boxelder, SD and stop at the McDonalds there. If you are lucky, depending on the time of day and the winds, you will see B-2 Bombers either taking off, or landing. Boxelder is where Elsworth Air Force Base is located. A few summers ago my family stopped at the McD's there to eat, and all of the sudden we heard a rumble. I looked out the window and this B-2 was on landing approach. Must have been 500 feet off the deck or so. What an awesome sight, to have a B-2 fly directly overhead on a landing approach. I wish I would have had my camera, but who brings a camera into McDonalds. Like I said, if you are ever on I-90 in Western SD, skip Wall Drug (in Wall, SD) and hang out in Boxelder for awhile. You won't be sorry!
thacherd is offline Find More Posts by thacherd
Last edited by thacherd; Sep 26, 2004 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling