HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2004, 06:07 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
734 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good, real looking Indoor flyer?

I work in a small high school/junior high of just under 500 kids. We have two gyms, both large enough for a regulation game of basketball, one with a slightly lower ceiling.

I'd like to buy a park-flyer/indoor flyer that is I can fly in such a setting in winter with full control. I have a GWS warbird and there's no way that could be flown in there without an incident. Would the GP Wright Flyer or Spirit of St. Louis work - or is there something else I should consider? I'd really rather avoid stick-planes.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2004, 06:19 PM
You're a nerd.
Norman, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Aug 2003
441 Posts
Pico Tigermoth.
OUAndy1807 is offline Find More Posts by OUAndy1807
Old Sep 25, 2004, 06:21 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Try the GWS pico cub F, or the GWS tigermoth
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Sep 25, 2004, 06:37 PM
Suspended Account
USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer
I work in a small high school/junior high of just under 500 kids. We have two gyms, both large enough for a regulation game of basketball, one with a slightly lower ceiling.

I'd like to buy a park-flyer/indoor flyer that is I can fly in such a setting in winter with full control. I have a GWS warbird and there's no way that could be flown in there without an incident. Would the GP Wright Flyer or Spirit of St. Louis work - or is there something else I should consider? I'd really rather avoid stick-planes.
Parkzone Slo-V (www.parkzone.com) or any of Superfly's planes. (www.superflyrc.com)

Trust me- there the best!!!

GOOD LUCK!!
Spencer J is offline Find More Posts by Spencer J
Last edited by ehobby-RC; Sep 25, 2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 06:46 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
What about the Fan-tastic AT-6 Texan.

Glenn
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Sep 25, 2004, 06:48 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
If you are looking for light weight FOAM model and for indoors and good looking, I will vote for the GWS TIGER MOTH pico (comes with the Indoor Power System - IPS motor/gearbox) and this power system is very good and will give you lots of flight time. There's a new Brushless motor that averages around 35 - $40 US that replaces this motor and will last a very long time since it does not have any Brushes to wear like the stock IPS setups.

1. GWS Tiger Moth - Pico
2. GWS J3 Piper Cub - FUSE version

Selection two (2.) is the best IMO since I trained with this model and has given me lots of enjoyable flights. This can be flown indoors and outdoors when winds are no more than 6 MPH steady using the IPS power setups.

Here's my Thread on the GWS J3 Piper Cub - FUSE version.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67523

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Sep 25, 2004, 07:21 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
While were on the subject of foamies Id like to add the SIG foamie slowflyers (Jenny, Scout and Fokker D.VII) in addition to the GWS Pico TM and J3. They are slightly faster than the GWS Tiger Moth, and (IMHO) they fly a lot better if you add a bit of dihedral as oposed to the stock flat wing.

If you ask me, the GWS Tiger Moth is THE indoor "scale" foamie, due to its simplicity of build and flight. However the SIG slowflyers are very good also, and they are not quite as common (yet) which is what made me get my Bristol Scout.

The GP Spirit of St. Louis is just too big and fast for flight indoors. Take a look at the specs, I think youd have almost as much luck flying your GWS warbird indoors as this plane.
The GP Wright Flyer might be a bit better, though I doubt it woould come anywhere close to the slowflying and manouverability of the GWS Tiger Moth or the SIG foam slowflyers. And indoors you really want a plane that is able to manouvre.

SIG also makes at least two (Antoinette and Demoiselle) built up (balsa and covering) scale slowflyers. I have the Antoinette, and although the sheer size of this plane indicates that it would be hard to fly indoors in a single basketcourt gym, it really isnt. This plane flies so sloooowly that the GWS TM seems like a pylonracer, and while you may need to plan your flightpatterns better than with the GWS TM (due to a larger turningradius) Ive flown it a LOT indoors. So if youre up to a bit of building, Id recomend these two planes in a heartbeat, they are certain to make your flyingbuddies envious!

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude